The MT-07 Forum

Riding pants

nmucat

Looking at riding gear and I got my helmet, jacket, and gloves. I'm working on pants and boots (I think I got an idea of what I want). Pants I would prefer a jean style and not baggy. Most of what I see are baggy gangsta style pants or leather tight  track gear.  Viewing some vids over at Revzilla I see Scorpion has a new style that look like what I want but not being able to fondle them before purchase makes me hesitate (as it does with most things).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

I am going to keep an eye on this thread. I too am looking for some decent riding pants. Probably jeans style that don't look too stupid when your not on the bike. I am not a fan of full leathers.

TwistedTorque
I think I'm leaning towards over-pants, have not made up my mind yet, but I commute to work in business casual attire.
I'm a fan of over pants. I own both:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-ht-overpantshttp://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-ht-air-overpant

Same pants just the first is full textile for winter/late fall/early spring. The air are mesh and are for spring/summer/fall. Both have removable waterproof liners. Only thing they don't have is any kind of hip padding but other than that perfect for what I need.

I looked into jeans but it just felt to me that you really pay a premium on jeans so I couldn't justify getting a good pair.

Those bull-it pants look pretty good and what I'm looking for. However the L138 equals $230 with shipping and thats about $100 more than I wanted to spend.

• Global Moderator

Guru, did you win the contest? It is nice to see you are getting closer to riding with pants :).

I'm about to sell a pair of Motoport Stretch kevlar pants. Custom made. Race legal at any track, including motoGP.

38 waist/31 length. Black in color. These go for over $600 new. Pm me for details if interested.

I have a friend who wiped out going 75 mph and slid over 300 feet wearing a pair of these and his legs were rash free, couldn't beleive it. I went out and ordered this pair the next week.

Motorcycle cops also wear these pants, more comfortable than leather and hey last longer.

• Premium Member

I got a set of the Bohn adventure pants and shirt. So far after 250 miles I think they're great, and not visible beneath regular jeans or pants.

Then over those I have Maple kevlar lined jeans. They are not cheap by any means, but they are basically my nicest jeans and moto approved.

The weather has been high 80's low 90's and 75%+ humidity and with a tourmaster air intake 3 jacket up top I stay pretty comfortable.

Thinking about getting a pair of draggin slim fit, but there's some good offerings at Revzilla too.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

It's even harder to find ladies riding pants! I ride in Bilt Kevlar jeans which run $70-80 at Cycle Gear. This is bare minimum protection and I want something more substantial. They also have to look good off the bike and not make me look like the Michelin Man!

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
Those bull-it pants look pretty good and what I'm looking for. However the L138 equals $230 with shipping and thats about $100 more than I wanted to spend.
Hmmmmm I ddin't even realize English site. I got them at my local riding store for $99 cdn on sale a few years back.  
Just looked at their website look under the distribution tab for where you can get in a bunch of larger countries.

Most kevlar jeans wont protect didly in a crash. There are some better than others like draggins and hood jeans though. Alot of the major manufacturers are to be avoided when looking at riding jeans. I have seen some horrfic rash pics from people wearing usually top brands of Kevlar jeans. I would stick with draggins, hood an maybe bull-it. Good protection isn't cheap, an for sure avoid almost anything made by built from cycle gear. Next time you are doing 70 mph, look down and then consider how mch you should spend.

I seriously own about $4,000 in riding gear. Half of it I bought slightly used from the ADVrider.com classifieds section, which is worth checking each day. Someday as we get more experience riders to join this site, great deals will start popping up in our classifieds section.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I'm looking for something that can be worn by itself, nice and comfortable, and has knee protection/sliders. I rode to starved rock this weekend and only had jeans on and was almost dragging knees. Definitely need something with more protection. Was looking at the dainese new drake air textile pants.

Try looking at Dainese riding jeans. They look and fits just like a regular jeans. They have different styles too if u want it a lil tighter. And it has better protection than most riding jeans.

• Premium Member

I'll have to check those out, thanks! I like the new slim fit draggin jeans, but not sure about the exact fit yet with no 3rd party reviews. Slim fit can quickly become too slim, but the standard ones are a little baggy for my frame/taste.

Finding good fitting jeans can be a pain in the arse.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

I bought a pair of joe rocket pro street pants.  They're armored leather but with a normal cut around the ankle (the pant goes over the boot).  i had to have them for drag racing and normally wouldn't want to wear something like that anywhere else.  however, a few years ago i was at a chopper rally (nobody wears safety gear) after a nearby drag race and a lot of folks wanted to know where to get the pants. 

Flash forward to a few weeks ago when I had a whopper of a wreck: those pants literally saved my butt. No one can figure out how I wasn't killed or at the least very seriously injured but I (barely) walked into the emergency room 20 minutes after the accident and walked out 4 hours later.

Armored. Leather.

I wasn't expecting to be in an accident that day.

-HowWorkClutch

Guest MXRider

I would like to get a pair of the draggin jeans some day. I'm guilty of riding in either jeans or khakis pretty often though. I should change that.

no matter what brand of Kevlar jeans I was looking at all suck for the money???????????
cant anyone one make something good anymore? always cutting corners to make the biggest profit.
how about a textile type motorcycle pant with real armour in hip , tail, knee and shin cover to look like jeans, sweet idea

Has anybody tried Duluth Trading company fire hose pants?  I don't have any yet but there supposed to be really tough.  I always wear my pants out and free replacement sounds really good to me.  From reviews I see that some people use them on motorcycles, don't know if they would work ok instead of Kevlar though.

I had First Gear pant. With times (wear) the pants lost his waterproofness. It's very incomfortable to sit in wet pants. ???

So, since a couple of years, i don't pay for waterproof pants. And i have a rainsuit. Way cheaper than a 300$ pant.
Since a couple of years, i uses enduro pants (over pants). I have to say that my my previous last bikes were dualsport. In summer i still ride with Shot Freeride (enduro over pants). When the weather is colder, i wear Joe Rocket Ballistic pants.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member
Has anybody tried Duluth Trading company fire hose pants?  I don't have any yet but there supposed to be really tough.  I always wear my pants out and free replacement sounds really good to me.  From reviews I see that some people use them on motorcycles, don't know if they would work ok instead of Kevlar though.

I have a jacket in that material. It is very durable and rugged, great for work and outdoors stuff. I personally wouldn't trust it to protect me from 60+mph tarmac. It wouldn't be as terrible as standard denim. You could do worse, but you could do a lot better.

Everything went braap.

• 2 weeks later...
I have that about them as well. I know they have no room for any pads or armor, but should be way better than your wrangler or levi denim. Just wish I had a place nearby that I could actually try on the pants before ordering, I am very picky when it comes to jean fit (funny the $15 wranglers from walmart fit best). 
I'm still looking, havnt made mined up yet.

Archived