The MT-07 Forum

Chain tensioner Question.

jake

• Premium Member

I'm having a debate about cheap china made chain tensioner. The debate is they are cheap and they brakes causing the axle to come loose and you could die.
My opinion is that the adjuster is not what holds the wheel in place the axle is and the only way for the axel to move is if its loose improper torque spec. the chain tensioner could brake off and any time while riding and have no effect on anything. My thought is also that most likely the axle coming loose is what essentially broke the tensioner in the first place in the few cases I found/ was given online. 
The one thing I could see is if the axle blocks broke/cracked which on some adjusters for different bikes are replace then I could see that being an issue but I have yet to find that to have happened as of yet.
Not trying to piss anyone off about this just want some facts and proof if you have some. I feel like I'm missing something because there are a bunch of people that think the tensioner is holding the rear wheel in place.I strongly do not believe it does but I'm open minded if given some proof.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

I figured out how these can be an issue, not that anyone explained it very well. If the adjusters are made up of cheap metal and the axle blocks are replaced from stock with the new adjuster. If the metal is so cheap it squeezes out like a banana then the axle could come loose causing a failure.

that makes sense to me.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

You are absolutely correct that the adjusters don't hold the wheel in place to prevent it from falling off. They just prevent the axle from creeping forwards to loose chain tension.

Archived