The MT-07 Forum

How Important is an EJK

philthyphil

I'm planning on eventually fitting an aftermarket exhaust to my bike. Is it a requirement that I also purchase an EJK, or some other type of fuel control unit when changing the stock exhaust? What would be the difference between just slapping a new exhaust system on without an EJK, versus putting on a new exhaust along with an EJK?

According to some manufacturers nothing is required but if you're like most people you will want your machine running top notch, you won't like a lot of popping and you will want to eliminate it with an EJK. My bike still does a little popping here and there but it's at an acceptable amount now and I like hearing it when it's roaring around 5-6k rpm when decelerating. It sounds racy and it turns heads.

Oh, Happy New Year!

Edited: I forgot to mention the most important thing but unfortunately I don't have a link to back it up, It's been too long ago and I can't find the article but according to them, any exhaust that isn't tuned right (fuel/air mixture) will have a negative effect on the engines longevity. Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

Beemer

The short answer is yes, you will need to compensate for any exhaust or intake changes made to your bike. More air through your motor requires more fuel through your motor to maintain a proper ratio.  This is perhaps an overly simplified explanation but I suspect that you will investigate further before you make a major change.

We are fortunate to have 2WDW  readily available to us on this forum.  They can re-flash  your motorcycles computer to match most any exhaust change or other modification. They also offer free lifetime changes for when you make other modifications in the future.
  Check this out, there's a wealth of wisdom in it. :)   http://fz07.org/thread/2827/why-dyno-tuning-important 

• Like 1

bigdaddybane

After I installed my Yoshimura pipe, I rode without EJK for a month or so. The difference with and without it is quite noticeable. Popping is gone, the bike runs much smoother and I'm pretty happy with results. IMO, money well spent ....

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for the informative responses guys! It looks like I better start saving my pennies!

• Like 1

I have an EJK and a reflash from 2wdw. Both are good, but if I had to pick one I'd take the reflash. They are about the same in price but the reflash has better results.

I have an EJK and a reflash from 2wdw. Both are good, but if I had to pick one I'd take the reflash. They are about the same in price but the reflash has better results.
In your opinion, what is the advantage of the reflash over the EJK? I kinda had the thought that the EJK would have the advantage of being more flexible. For example if you ever change anything on your bike, like a different exhaust or intake, then you could easily make adjustments via the EJK instead of have to send in the ECU for another reflash. What is it about the reflash that you prefer? I'm just curious because I want to go with the better option myself.. Thanks!

In your opinion, what is the advantage of the reflash over the EJK? I kinda had the thought that the EJK would have the advantage of being more flexible. For example if you ever change anything on your bike, like a different exhaust or intake, then you could easily make adjustments via the EJK instead of have to send in the ECU for another reflash. What is it about the reflash that you prefer? I'm just curious because I want to go with the better option myself.. Thanks!

This from @2wheeldynoworks is a good explanation:

"So, just a few basics to help clarify. A fuel controller like power commander, bazzaz, dobeck etc, only changes fuel delivery, or double the cost to include ignition mapping.

ECU flash, changes fuel delivery as well as a dozen other things as well that when combined all tuned up, create a bike that just fueling can't even come close to touching in terms of performance, ride-ability, adjustability and overall changes. We're able to change all of the factory settings, remove software restrictions, change all of the mapping for everything, in each power mode, fan temps etc, way more than just the fueling.

Even with the auto tune, which bazzaz and power commander offers, it's still only fixing one out of over a dozen things that need to be changed to get your bike running perfectly."

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/5870/remapping-ecu-power-commander#ixzz4UYffWsib
  • Like 2

I will advocate for the ejk controller. I got great gains with my sc project exhaust, runs smooth, and all popping is also gone. Additionally, what I like best about the ejk controller is being able to change settings on the fly. On commuting days or longer rides where I want more mileage I make the fueling much less aggressive and closer to stock. Dobeck even helped me with these settings. On trackday or more spirited rides I change settings back to Dobecks tune settings for my exhaust. The flash is great but if you want quick flexibility the ejk is a great solution. I guess the ultimate set up would be a combination of both the flash and fuel controller.

• Like 2

This from @2wheeldynoworks is a good explanation: 
"So, just a few basics to help clarify. A fuel controller like power commander, bazzaz, dobeck etc, only changes fuel delivery, or double the cost to include ignition mapping.

ECU flash, changes fuel delivery as well as a dozen other things as well that when combined all tuned up, create a bike that just fueling can't even come close to touching in terms of performance, ride-ability, adjustability and overall changes. We're able to change all of the factory settings, remove software restrictions, change all of the mapping for everything, in each power mode, fan temps etc, way more than just the fueling.

Even with the auto tune, which bazzaz and power commander offers, it's still only fixing one out of over a dozen things that need to be changed to get your bike running perfectly."

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/5870/remapping-ecu-power-commander#ixzz4UYffWsib

That sounds very intriguing.. thank you for the info!

• Like 1

2wheeldynoworks
I will advocate for the ejk controller. I got great gains with my sc project exhaust, runs smooth, and all popping is also gone. Additionally, what I like best about the ejk controller is being able to change settings on the fly. On commuting days or longer rides where I want more mileage I make the fueling much less aggressive and closer to stock. Dobeck even helped me with these settings. On trackday or more spirited rides I change settings back to Dobecks tune settings for my exhaust. The flash is great but if you want quick flexibility the ejk is a great solution. I guess the ultimate set up would be a combination of both the flash and fuel controller.
That is absolutely an option, we can flash the ecu and not make any fuel changes, however we highly recommend that you get the fueling tuned at the same time. What you don't want to do is swap on an exhaust and run the bike without fuel changes because you can run into dangerously lean conditions which can damage the engine. That way you get your on the fly fuel changes, and all the added benefits of the flash. It does cost a bit more but you get both options for you.  
even stock, we do recommend a fuel tuner and to get it tuned as you will get improvements to performance with it
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hey guys i have a question i just bought a used yamaha fz07 with 3600 miles. The previous owner put an akrapovic full titanium exhaust with the db killer removed but did not have it tuned or anything adjusted, hope it didn't get damaged! Anyway i was looking into this and im hearing three things get an EJK adjuster costs around 260$, get a power commander and bring to a mechanic to tune it what i got an estimate of 875$ from a mechanic, or send my ECU to someone to flash it costs around 300$. If anyone can let me know what they recommend for my exhaust setup or which option is better to pick for me please let me know your opinions. All i want is my engine to last long and for everything to work smoothly. 

• Global Moderator
16 minutes ago, XATTILAX said:

Hey guys i have a question i just bought a used yamaha fz07 with 3600 miles. The previous owner put an akrapovic full titanium exhaust with the db killer removed but did not have it tuned or anything adjusted, hope it didn't get damaged! Anyway i was looking into this and im hearing three things get an EJK adjuster costs around 260$, get a power commander and bring to a mechanic to tune it what i got an estimate of 875$ from a mechanic, or send my ECU to someone to flash it costs around 300$. If anyone can let me know what they recommend for my exhaust setup or which option is better to pick for me please let me know your opinions. All i want is my engine to last long and for everything to work smoothly. 

You are not going to hurt anything by not running a tune, but you will be very happy at how much better your bike will run with one.  I would recommend the @2wheeldynoworks ECU flash as the easiest option.  I have been running their tune for a few years now on with a stock exhaust and have been very happy. 

• Like 4