The MT-07 Forum

Heated grip installation problems

squiernut

Trying to install my Bikemaster heated grips and I'm running into a few issues.  I want to wire them up so that they can't run with the ignition off. I thought I found a hot wire coming from the ignition, but I screwed up.  It was the hot wire from the battery to the ignition. Doh!  I only realized this when they didn't shut off with the key. Then I couldn't get them to shut down with the controller. And the piss poor instructions don't even tell how to turn them off.  So I decided to tap into the headlight wiring, since it's on/off with the key.  Now I find that my headlight isn't working.  The fuse is ok and I checked continuity on the bulb.  WTH!  I'm certain it's something simple and in my frustration, I overlooked it.  I figured someone on here has run into one or all of my problems and can help out.  Thanks!

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Best way to do this is to switch a relay with some circuit that's off with the key off and power the grips directly with a nice heavy gauge wire directly from the battery.

you could use that same headlight circuit (or the "parking lamp"), but If you've not used the accessory plug yet, that would be perfect to switch the relay on/off.

Some bikes need to be running and charging before the headlight will come on. With the grips drawing a lot of current and dropping the voltage across that circuit, this might be why the light is not coming on.

Cool, thanks! Sounds like a relay is the way to go. I originally planned on going directly into the accessory plug, but according to the owner's manual, the max amperage is 2A. And from what I could find online, the grips draw about 2.5-3A.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Yeah, you'd be popping fuses all the time and if not, likely making those wires hotter than they'd like to be. 16g wiring is probably plenty heavy enough. Just make sure you add an inline fuse (say 5A) close to the battery.

I ran an SAE hook-ip directly from the battery up to the bars for my GPS on the right side the tank. There's tons of room on that side, much less on the right side. Iirc from other posts, there's a space behind the ECU on the right side where the ABS unit would live - if we had. That might be a perfect spot to mount that relay (weatherproof preferably)

Archived