The MT-07 Forum

Motor Heats Up Quickly

philthyphil

I was near the DMV today on my bike and I pulled in to test my skills at the ride test course that they have there in the parking lot. For those of you who aren't familiar with California's motorcycle ride test course it's basically an area which is approximately 15 yards in length and maybe 5 yards in width. There are two 1 foot wide lanes which run up either side, and a circle at one end which is made up of the same 1 foot wide lane that goes in a circle approximately 10 feet in diameter. These measurements are very approximate and are a product of my own estimation. There are also places to put cones in between the two lanes for the person taking the test to slalom in and out of. 

Anyhow, I went to see how well I could do at riding around the inside of the circle at slow speed without going outside of the lines with my front tire, and without putting my foot down. I did ok, but I noticed that when doing slow speed maneuvers my FZ-07's motor heats up all most instantly. The temp shoots up over 200 literally within seconds of going slow. After about a minute of slow speed stuff the fan is on and the gauge is around 215 degrees Fahrenheit or so. My bike has about 400 miles on it so I'm still in the break in period. Before going into the DMV course I had been cruising around town with the motor staying around 174 degrees. I didn't stay at the DMV for long because I didn't like my bike running that hot. As soon as I got back at on the road and got moving again, the temp dropped back down to 174ish. 

Are these high temps normal? Should I be avoiding these slow speed maneuvers until after the break in?

Yep, quite normal... when cruising the air lowers the temperature. :)
Awesome, thanks and sorry for the noob question. I probably should have posted this in the new rider section. Should I avoid situations in which the bike gets hot enough for the fan to come on during the break in period?

Yeah definitely normal. Much worse on a 1000cc sport bike.  Like having a heater blowing on both your legs.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Yep, quite normal... when cruising the air lowers the temperature. :)
Awesome, thanks and sorry for the noob question. I probably should have posted this in the new rider section. Should I avoid situations in which the bike gets hot enough for the fan to come on during the break in period?

No, it is quite normal! And keep asking, the only stupid/noob questions are the ones left unasked! :)) glad to help around and contribute!

Safe riding!

That was a GOOD question actually. :)     It shows how attentive you are to your motorcycle. Paying attention to your bike can save both you and your bike from damage.    You noted the temperature and the fan operation, there are many experienced riders who don't.
    When you had a concern you asked for help instead of being too proud to say that you didn't know something. There may have been a serious problem but you didn't hesitate or ignore it.
   The members here were quick to answer and without judgement, they are really good folks and I'm glad to have found them.  I hope that you feel encouraged to ask any and all questions, I still do after decades of riding.  Furthermore based on your concern for your bike and that you're faithfully practicing your skills, you sound like someone that I'd love to ride with sometime. 8-)  

To answer your other question: I wouldn't be concerned with the temp unless it reaches 230 degrees, or whatever it says in your owners manual. I believe in my FZ-09 owners manual it say that if the temp reaches 240 degrees you should shut the bike off and let it cool before re-starting. Good idea keeping an eye on the temp in slow going. Should you decide to have your ECU flashed, they can have the fan turn on at a lower temp if you specify that.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

The first bike I had with a radiator would heat up the same way when you could still cruise the circuit of 6th & 7th street in Austin, Tx on a Saturday night. That meant a lot of stop and go. My bike didn't have a digital temp gauge like what we have now, just a needle that would go into the red zone and that's when I would get concerned (like you) and jump onto streets where I could go faster with less lights to cool it down. I now know I didn't have to do that, the fan kicks on and cools the engine down before any damage from heat occurs. I wouldn't worry about it.

Beemer

That was a GOOD question actually. :)     It shows how attentive you are to your motorcycle. Paying attention to your bike can save both you and your bike from damage.    You noted the temperature and the fan operation, there are many experienced riders who don't.     When you had a concern you asked for help instead of being too proud to say that you didn't know something. There may have been a serious problem but you didn't hesitate or ignore it.
   The members here were quick to answer and without judgement, they are really good folks and I'm glad to have found them.  I hope that you feel encouraged to ask any and all questions, I still do after decades of riding.  Furthermore based on your concern for your bike and that you're faithfully practicing your skills, you sound like someone that I'd love to ride with sometime. 8-)  

Thank you for the encouraging words! This is definitely one of the best forums I've ever encountered on the web, and I'm very glad to have come across it. The value of the knowledge that can be gained from a group of people such as the group that makes up site like this is 2nd to none.  
I haven't yet had the chance to ride with another person, which is something I definitely want to experience. What neck of the woods are you in?

I'm in New York so we're both going to need to become very serious  riders if we are ever going to meet up while riding! :D
It does sound like fun though.   

Over the years I have found very few people that I truly enjoy riding with, everyone is so different. Don't be discouraged if you don't enjoy the first few group rides that you go on. Whatever you do don't let the other riders push you to ride in a way that you're not ready for or at an uncomfortable pace. 

I'm in New York so we're both going to need to become very serious  riders if we are ever going to meet up while riding! :D It does sound like fun though.   

Over the years I have found very few people that I truly enjoy riding with, everyone is so different. Don't be discouraged if you don't enjoy the first few group rides that you go on. Whatever you do don't let the other riders push you to ride in a way that you're not ready for or at an uncomfortable pace. 

NY here too! Hehe, feel free to shoot a text for riding around! Maybe we can enjoy, maybe not ?

Safe riding!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Mine did that as well,but after i did the exhaust mod (drilling the chamber) it dropped temp while running its always at 168-175ish and it takes a loooonnngggg time to reach 200. Ive let it idle while at bank atm for at least 4-6 minutes and only reached 190ish

In Astoria, Queens! Let's see when the weather improves, I shall tour around to know and visit different areas! :)

Safe riding!

Archived