The MT-07 Forum

My Naked FZ-07 Track Build

howlinhoss

Just thinking about your comment, if you don't have the oem ht. and we don't know exactly where each other is measuring from then your final ride ht. measurement won't mean much to my measurements, you'd have to be doing a before and after and measuring to the same exact point each time. I guess in this case just knowing how much shorter the AP link is compared to stock link would have been the most beneficial to me, I think from blackouts info I have a good idea of where to start. I'll stay tuned and watch for pictures.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, had to take break from bleeding my Ninja 300 brakes. Man OEM mc and caliper sucks big time on that bike haha.

Anyways, OEM shock link is about 96mm. See photo below.

96b63c3cc1fed23ab179b63672eb60b7.jpg

Doing the best measurement I could with the AP Moto link on the bike, I measured roughly 90mm.

Hope that helps.

On another note, my Racer High Racer gloves came in. Man these things feel awesome and they provide a ton of protection. I am confident they will hold up on a crash but lets hope I dont have to test them out.

34f85974546e13b75ee21d25370f70c9.jpg

b5c50e39eee518a8db56e8f1eee0d2f3.jpg

7056a40bad4ef27e5f9e6796bff30929.jpg

Wow! Thanks for going to the trouble howlinhoss, I really appreciate it. Looks like about 1/4" shorter should do it and put me back to my 20mm rise only with a better geometry, be interesting if I can tell a difference.

• Premium Member

The shock, link, Woodcraft clip ons, AP Moto Rearset plates and aftermarket rearsets give my FZ a really nice aggressive stance which is what I was shooting for. I cannot wait to test it out at the track!
I can already tell you...

You're gonna LOVE IT!

:)

- Paulie

Got the bike out for a quick spin today. I must say..... wow the bike feels great. I highly recommend the link, shock, resrset plates and rearset combo. The new stance is definitely more aggressive and I love it. Photos after I wash the bike.

• Global Moderator
Got the bike out for a quick spin today. I must say..... wow the bike feels great. I highly recommend the link, shock, resrset plates and rearset combo. The new stance is definitely more aggressive and I love it. Photos after I wash the bike. 

i want the plates... but someone is being mean and wont sell em to me 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

i want the plates... but someone is being mean and wont sell em to me
Ha, why are my ears ringing? 
:)

- Paulie

Here we go. Time for some updates.

Finally some nice weather so I pushed the bike out of the basement. Here are some photos of everything installed including some nee Woodcraft bar ends with a 7/8" section that will work for both lever guards and bar end mirrors. Only thing missing for the track is my head fairing.

febcb52879a7ee81863b7f7ac97907f5.jpg

2d6000eba60535fd165435c2864d4766.jpg

e7dec38c510cf5c39bf660db65a59fae.jpg

a6f07d5b4ea2fdb33784f4a580921900.jpg

0ea411d1a5a5b201829f4a716e16325d.jpg

8b8d2d7680e6c9fa15872906dbd6f6d4.jpg

And more photos

SC Project Exhaust, eBay Rearsets, AP Moto rearset plates and TRex case covers.
5c43756dc6c4b3e33372662061246bfb.jpg

Forks By Matt Cartridge Kits
05075a60b99249798fdfcc0176ea7950.jpg

KTech RAZR shock with Traxxion shock sleeve.
2f25c0e528b6d0b03e48b8cf9ae7d4e0.jpg

3c36661a382d659a7984095e300b0ffb.jpg

AP Moto Ride Height Link
e014aa29d9a79a6fa9c9338b3b1bcf84.jpg

I got my 300 and FZ ready to rip! 300 is full track fairings so the FZ will pull double duty. I'll post some fz track trim photos soon.

• 2 weeks later...

You might consider making or buying a different set of lower bar "clamps" . The std ones are seriously heavy. Don't be fooled by the apparent alumining look . They are substantially steel. If you haven't chucked the rubber bar isolaters you could do that at the same time ( way better feel).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

You might consider making or buying a different set of lower bar "clamps" . The std ones are seriously heavy. Don't be fooled by the apparent alumining look . They are substantially steel. If you haven't chucked the rubber bar isolaters you could do that at the same time ( way better feel).
Got any suggestions? I wonder if I would have any comparability issues with the Woodcraft adapter plate I am using.

• 2 weeks later...

Ti can be problematic. Especially with Ti nuts. At the veryleast make sure you use AL or Cu grease on the threads to stop any chance of galling. Ti isn't as strong as steel for the same size so consider carefully. Also for this application make sure they are rolled ( not cut) threads.

• Global Moderator

Did a post get deleted?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Sorry Howler I missed a question. I am using the woodcrafts with an aftermarket set of std inline bar-clamps . Moves the bars about 2cm forward.

crescentwrench
And more photos 
SC Project Exhaust, eBay Rearsets, AP Moto rearset plates and TRex case covers.
5c43756dc6c4b3e33372662061246bfb.jpg

Forks By Matt Cartridge Kits
05075a60b99249798fdfcc0176ea7950.jpg

KTech RAZR shock with Traxxion shock sleeve.
2f25c0e528b6d0b03e48b8cf9ae7d4e0.jpg

3c36661a382d659a7984095e300b0ffb.jpg

AP Moto Ride Height Link
e014aa29d9a79a6fa9c9338b3b1bcf84.jpg

Do you have a closer up shot of the rearset mounting plates?

Another newb question - do you need mounting plates for new rearsets, or does that just give the new rearsets an even more aggressive position?

The AP Moto Arts website says their mounting plates can be used with stock controls, that means no aftermarket rearsets required, right?

I'm trying to make my fz07 more track ready but on a budget. The APMA mounting plates seem like a good option.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Beautiful bike and thanks for sharing all the info!

• 1 month later...

Hi nice ride you have! I am really impressed!
I have a question - did you modify your side stand? Does it let you lean to the left without hassle?
I saw a youtube clip where a guy lowsided on a left turn. He blamed the side stand…

Was it possible or footpegs where the problem rather?
I am asking, couse I dont want to have a problem like the guy from clip.

howlinhoss

I don't have an issue at all with my side stand. In that video I can tell the rider is riding crossed up. If he had proper body position the bike would have less lean angles and his camera would be to the left side of the tank. Instead the bike has lean angle and his body stays upright.

I have scraped side stands, main stands, mufflers, headers, even engine covers, on a number of bikes and never gone down other than once when I was leaning way too hard on both stands, peg and exhaust simultaneously on cold tyres. That was down to stupidity. So more likely he was asking too much of his tyres for the grip offered by the road (or his riding technique) rather than being taken down by the stand scraping a bit IMO. Racers used to scrape through the engine covers of BMWs during cornering, and those cylinders have a lot more momentum than a stand close to the centre of the bike.

Thx, that’s what I thought.
I am Still a beginer, though fund that track days give me a lot of fun, and improve my riding skills significantly.
Dragging my lean indicator :) (that small little „thing” on bottom of footpeg) on tarmac was not unusual after few track days. After watching that clip I started to feel a little bit unsecured about leaning too much to the left.
I like that bike so much that I decided to upgrade the suspension.
Thanks for help.

• 10 months later...
  • Premium Member

You can and WILL drag the $#!T of of the kickstand (and stock pegs) on this bike. My kickstand is 45 shades of rust from being scraped to death, and then rusting up again.

I moved to rear-sets to avoid the peg problem.

I take the kickstand off for the track days and sometimes remove it for a day in the mountains.

What may have happened in the video is he scraped and then came the panic. The panic may have caused a roll-off the throttle or worse a stab at the front brake mid-corner. (cant see his R hand )

It may have not been panic, If he was on stock suspension with terrible body position, then perhaps the kickstand unsettled the bike beyond recovery.

BUT...judging but the first "save" with all that head shake, he had an panic and an oh $#!T moment. Then he kissed the pavement.

Side-stand's fault, no.

Making a mistake because you unexpectedly dragged hard parts, Id'e put my $ here.

Just my .02

The kickstand is definitely low, and it will be scraped. On my bike it is the lowest hard point by far. Get used to it.

'16 FZ07

Archived