Sign in to follow this  
jake

How To Set Throttle Free Play and Why It's Important

jake

• Like 8

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

tripfitmoto
I like Ari's videos and all of them are clear and to the point. However, one thing he forgot to mention was turning your wheel all the way to the extreme right and left and then testing your throttle play. If the throttle sticks at extreme left/right, that can be a big issue, especially to newer riders when doing low speed turns.

Also, thanks for sharing the video!

jake
 one thing he forgot to mention was turning your wheel all the way to the extreme right and left and then testing your throttle play. If the throttle sticks at extreme left/right, that can be a big issue, especially to newer riders when doing low speed turns. 

He actually does towards the end at the 2:55 mark  
  • Like 1

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

tripfitmoto
I saw that, but I was hoping he would actually show it when he was adjusting the throttle cable. Again, he does a good job explaining everything else but if I am teaching a new rider, that would be the first thing I'd show them. 
  • Like 1

yamahaha
I have a bad habit when I'm around other's bikes. I will sneak a quick test of throttle and clutch free play. I'm often amazed at how much play the throttle has and how little the clutch has.

lovakhan
Ive actually been riding with my throttle sticking. So guilty. Will have to fix this asap

azt33
Wow, thanks for sharing! Will have to look into this next time I'm on my MT-07 - so much to learn still :)
  • Like 1

attackcat109
Ari is a pretty cool dude and I usually recommend his videos to those who want to get into motorcycles as to what maintenance looks like. A little overwhelming at first, but his tutorials and help in the comments is usually pretty nice. Plus he's in cali and I got to meet him once. And dang those videos of him at the track do not do him justice, he is insanely quick!
  • Like 1

guylee
Good to know! I was just noticing today how my throttle has a lot of free play. I had to adjust the clutch a few days ago-it wasn't grabbing until the lever was pretty much out. Guess I'll add adjusting those two to the crappy weather fix-it list I've got going.