The MT-07 Forum

Simple wiring question from an electronics noob

emmerich

Hey guys wanted to double check something with some people smarter than me before I make any mistakes.

I'm installing flush mount signals and an integrated tail light, and plan to use a flasher relay rather than resistors.  The tail light I purchased (motodynamics) has the resistors for the signals built into the wiring so I'll have to remove them.

Here's what I'm looking at (this is for one of the signals; there's two of these): http://i.imgur.com/NIbDmIA.jpg

My question is:  Do I just remove the black wire entirely?

Like I said I don't really have any experience with this sort of thing and wanted to avoid just S.W.A.G.ing it and risk blowing a fuse or something stupid.

Yes. You should be able to bypass the black wire altogether since it's just a load resistor wired in parallel.
To be sure, is the black wire coming out of the same terminal on the connector as the other wire ?

Yes. You should be able to bypass the black wire altogether since it's just a load resistor wired in parallel. To be sure, is the black wire coming out of the same terminal on the connector as the other wire ?
No.  The Yellow and Black wires are each in their own spot inside the white end-cap thing.  (If this is what you meant?)

Yes this is what I meant. So yes, taking out the black wire will effectively disconnect the load resistor.

Yes. You should be able to bypass the black wire altogether since it's just a load resistor wired in parallel. To be sure, is the black wire coming out of the same terminal on the connector as the other wire ?
No.  The Yellow and Black wires are each in their own spot inside the white end-cap thing.  (If this is what you meant?)

Yes this is what I meant. So yes, taking out the black wire will effectively disconnect the load resistor. 
Right on.  So just clip the resistor from the yellow wire and disconnect the black wire from the connector entirely and I'm all set? 
I was just concerned because the existing wiring on the bike had two wires in their connector that mated with two wires on the OEM signals.  So I wasn't sure if eliminating the black wire (and therefore the connection inside the two mating connectors) would cause the circuit to be incomplete or something funky.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Right on.  So just clip the resistor from the yellow wire and disconnect the black wire from the connector entirely and I'm all set? 
I was just concerned because the existing wiring on the bike had two wires in their connector that mated with two wires on the OEM signals.  So I wasn't sure if eliminating the black wire (and therefore the connection inside the two mating connectors) would cause the circuit to be incomplete or something funky.
So just clip the yellows but leave yourself enough room to splice everything back how it was if it doesn't work when bypassing the black wire altogether. Shouldn't hurt anything to try a mock up, might blow a fuse, but I doubt it. Obviously don't solder everything together when trying it, just twist the yellows together. 

Should've paid the extra $4.99 to get the resistor-less wiring harness, that's what I did. I have an extra resistored wiring harness for the MD tail light if you screw this one up to the point of it being beyond repair, lol. 

So just clip the yellows but leave yourself enough room to splice everything back how it was if it doesn't work when bypassing the black wire altogether. Shouldn't hurt anything to try a mock up, might blow a fuse, but I doubt it. Obviously don't solder everything together when trying it, just twist the yellows together. 

Should've paid the extra $4.99 to get the resistor-less wiring harness, that's what I did. I have an extra resistored wiring harness for the MD tail light if you screw this one up to the point of it being beyond repair, lol. 
Damn, I should have done that indeed.  In fact I think I will do this anyway and just return the flash relay that I bought.  MD sells one (didn't know about them at the time of purchase) for $6 less than the one I bought, and it includes the resistor-less wiring to boot.  

Smart move not using the resistors, I've seen them melt wiring causing shorts and other problems. They can melt plastic as well.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

Archived