The MT-07 Forum

New to the forums from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

cmiller94

I'm new to the forums, but a, considering buying an FZ07, so I figured I should join an FZ07 forum to hopefully learn some more about them. I've been riding for 2 years now. My first bike was a 2005 Ninja 500. I rode it for a season and then made the mistake of thinking I was ready for an upgrade and needed more power. I always told myself I wasn't going to be that person that bought something too big too fast, but I ended up doing just that. So I bought myself a 2000 CBR929RR. I rode that for all of this past season and other than straight line speed, I never really liked it. I just sold it on December 18. Before I had sold it, I was pondering what to buy next. My search has included many, many bikes, but the FZ07 is what I'm probably the most serious about.

I have some concerns/stupid questions with getting an FZ07 and am hoping that this forum can alleviate those concerns and answer my questions. :)

Here they are:
- How easily does it wheelie? A gentle roll on with my 929 would lift the front tire in first or second gear. I know an FZ07 is a lot less power, but being light, torquey, and a short wheel base, I worry it'll wheelie too easily. I know to some people that may sound dumb, but I'd rather something wheelies by me clutching it up, not power wheelies. That was something I liked with the 500 was that full throttle was very doable in any gear. The 929 made cornering scary because if you rolled on too fast in a second gear corner, the front end got light and could lead to tank slappers. 
-What's the fuel range like? Ive heard the tanks are quite small, but is the range okay? The 929 was lucky to make 150 miles on a tank. 
-Any problems specific to an FZ07 to watch for when buying used? 
-I've heard the suspension isn't great on the FZ07. How bad is it?
-Has anyone tracked their FZ07? I'd like to get into track days (also part of the reason I'm worried about it doing wheelies too easy).

In my next bike, I'm pretty much looking for something that is comfortable, decently fast, is light, handles well, and would be okay for touring as well as some track riding. I don't need it to be great at any one thing, just need an all round good bike and personally I think the FZ07 fits the bill, but if you guys could let me know your thoughts, that'd be great. 

P.S. I apologize for stupid questions that I probably could've found some of the answers to by using the search function. 

I'm new to the forums, but a, considering buying an FZ07, so I figured I should join an FZ07 forum to hopefully learn some more about them. I've been riding for 2 years now. My first bike was a 2005 Ninja 500. I rode it for a season and then made the mistake of thinking I was ready for an upgrade and needed more power. I always told myself I wasn't going to be that person that bought something too big too fast, but I ended up doing just that. So I bought myself a 2000 CBR929RR. I rode that for all of this past season and other than straight line speed, I never really liked it. I just sold it on December 18. Before I had sold it, I was pondering what to buy next. My search has included many, many bikes, but the FZ07 is what I'm probably the most serious about. 
I have some concerns/stupid questions with getting an FZ07 and am hoping that this forum can alleviate those concerns and answer my questions. :)

Here they are:
- How easily does it wheelie? A gentle roll on with my 929 would lift the front tire in first or second gear. I know an FZ07 is a lot less power, but being light, torquey, and a short wheel base, I worry it'll wheelie too easily. I know to some people that may sound dumb, but I'd rather something wheelies by me clutching it up, not power wheelies. That was something I liked with the 500 was that full throttle was very doable in any gear. The 929 made cornering scary because if you rolled on too fast in a second gear corner, the front end got light and could lead to tank slappers. 
-What's the fuel range like? Ive heard the tanks are quite small, but is the range okay? The 929 was lucky to make 150 miles on a tank. 
-Any problems specific to an FZ07 to watch for when buying used? 
-I've heard the suspension isn't great on the FZ07. How bad is it?
-Has anyone tracked their FZ07? I'd like to get into track days (also part of the reason I'm worried about it doing wheelies too easy).

In my next bike, I'm pretty much looking for something that is comfortable, decently fast, is light, handles well, and would be okay for touring as well as some track riding. I don't need it to be great at any one thing, just need an all round good bike and personally I think the FZ07 fits the bill, but if you guys could let me know your thoughts, that'd be great. 

P.S. I apologize for stupid questions that I probably could've found some of the answers to by using the search function. 

Hello & welcome!! 
Nice to know about your riding history! :)

- Wheelies are very easy with this bike on 1st and 2nd as powerwheelies, so if you use your clutch, you are gonna enjoy it a lot.

- Fuel range is not great, around 170 I get if I'm not mistaken.

- 2nd hand market should be like other bikes - as far as I know, no issues around.

- Suspension... it is the cheaper part of the bike - for regular use, it is just fine. If you plan to use it in trackdays, checkout the different options the aftermarket brands offer!

Safe riding!

So when you say "wheelies are easy", are they so easy that it's concerning? Like I'm fine if it wheelies when I want it to wheelie, it's the accidental wheelies that worry me haha. I'm trying to think of the best way to phrase what I mean.......I think this is what I mean....when powering out of corners, does the front end feel planted?

The fuel range is still better than the 929! :)

I'm going to guess then that the suspension is good enough for me for now.

So when you say "wheelies are easy", are they so easy that it's concerning? Like I'm fine if it wheelies when I want it to wheelie, it's the accidental wheelies that worry me haha. I'm trying to think of the best way to phrase what I mean.......I think this is what I mean....when powering out of corners, does the front end feel planted?  
The fuel range is still better than the 929! :)

I'm going to guess then that the suspension is good enough for me for now.
If you hit the gas abruptly to over 6-7k rpm it will wheelie, under normal use it won't. Let's say it is "on demand". :))

Safe riding!

• Premium Member

Welcome fellow Albertan!

This is my first bike so I really have nothing to compare... (I bought mine new off the floor.)

-The suspension does seem a little soft upfront. (Im about 180lbs +/- in full gear)

-It's 'torquey' and can really get up from under you. Ive had the tire up a little but Im no wheelie guy by any means.

-Engine braking is heavy but is smoothed out a bit with the EJK from Dobeck, others have liked the ECU flash too.

-Furthermore no question is stupid, I think everyone has used the wrong end of the screwdriver once or twice in their day. Everyone here has been extremely respectful and instrumental in offering up tips, tricks and common sense. A really great site. All the 'other kinds of people' don't last here. All questions are answered.

As well, the vendor section here is fantastic with tons of very cool stuff. They're all very informative and proactive with members.

I love my FZ, and this site and its members have made me appreciate riding all the more.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm going to take a look at one tomorrow. It's a 2015 with 8900 km's on it. It has a windscreen (not sure what brand) and a tail tidy. Aside from that, it's stock. It had its first service done at 600 km's and has had three oil changes since then. He said the chain has always been lubed and properly adjusted. It's listed at $5800 making it currently the best deal in Alberta for an FZ07. :) I'd post the pictures of it that the guy sent to me, but I'm not quite sure how haha.

IMG_0492.jpg

oh I think I figured it out! Hopefully this works. In this picture it has an exhaust, and doesn't have the tail tidy, but he said he put the stock exhaust back on because he didn't like the aftermarket one.

IMG_0493.jpg

• Premium Member

If you feel so inclined, tag yourself on the map. Not only do we need more Canuck pins, but I'm nosey/curious as to your part of town. Ive only seen a meager handful of FZ's scooting around Edmonton.  ;)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

If you feel so inclined, tag yourself on the map. Not only do we need more Canuck pins, but I'm nosey/curious as to your part of town. Ive only seen a meager handful of FZ's scooting around Edmonton.  ;)

I announced having to remove the map couple months ago. It wasn't playing nice.

And Welcome to the forum. I had a blast in Edmonton couple years ago. Used to fly into Calgary and visit customers then drive up the alley to Edmonton and do likewise, then fly to Vancouver. Those were fun weeks, once per month.

• Premium Member
I announced having to remove the map couple months ago. It wasn't playing nice.  
And Welcome to the forum. I had a blast in Edmonton couple years ago. Used to fly into Calgary and visit customers then drive up the alley to Edmonton and do likewise, then fly to Vancouver. Those were fun weeks, once per month.

Whoops... right, no map...Ive been absent for a while. Yeah Edmonton, not the prettiest city  (especially for riding) compared to my home of van island but its been a great home base and has treated us very well. 

• Global Moderator

Welcome fellow Canadian. It looks like a fine bike for a fine price. I would keep the stock exhaust but would ask him to throw in the after market one (or the other way around lol) I'm not a fan of loud bikes but that's just me. And the aftermarket one you can always sell on the forum for good money.

And if you don't like red, the panels are cheap and easily swappable.

Not much riding in Edmonton now I presume. (I'm in ON)

• Premium Member
IMG_0492.jpg

oh I think I figured it out! Hopefully this works. In this picture it has an exhaust, and doesn't have the tail tidy, but he said he put the stock exhaust back on because he didn't like the aftermarket one.

IMG_0493.jpg

If you could get the bike with that after market exhaust, that would be a good deal to pay for the FZ07, ask him to include the after market exhaust with the bike.
Some sellers if they need the money, they might give a way the pipe too.
Good luck on your deal, and welcome to the FZ 07 site .

In my next bike, I'm pretty much looking for something that is comfortable, decently fast, is light, handles well, and would be okay for touring as well as some track riding. I don't need it to be great at any one thing, just need an all round good bike and personally I think the FZ07 fits the bill, 
Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/7117/new-forums-edmonton-alberta-canada#ixzz4UFK1i667
Bingo!  I would add "best bang for the buck".

• Premium Member

This was my first bike as it was for several guys here.
Ive tracked the bike and it does well in stock form but if you are planing on doing several track days a year you will want to up grade some. the rear set will start to hit they have one on ebay for 100 bucks to solve that. Suspension is cheap but you can track it just fine in stock form.
I've only had the wheel come up a few times when I didn't expect it to but its manageable. I'm 240 ish so weight will have a factor in how easy the front comes up.
Range is low in a way 130 miles or before the light comes on but you have a 1/2 gallon still in the tank but 2 hours of riding I normally take a break. I took a road trip 3000 miles plus on it and I would do it again.
Bought mine in 2015 and I have 20,000 miles or so on mine dropped/crashed it 4 times and have had no issues with its a good bike and you can modify it to your liking for your riding style.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Well with all of your questions pretty much touched on, and yes the search will provide a LOT more. All I can say is welcome to the forum, hopefully to the fz family, and your avatar is awesome!!

Well, I bought the 2015 FZ07 today. It's in absolutely mint shape and I think I got a pretty good deal on it. $5250 (was listed for $5800). It has just under 9,000 km's and this guy had all the receipts for maintenance work done to it. Has warranty until 2018 and he through in the rear stand and windshield. I asked about the aftermarket exhaust, but he gave it to a buddy of his who also had an FZ07. Now I just need to get some frame sliders and shorty levers. Sadly, it will be a couple months before I get to take it for a real ride.

p><p> <a href=http://preview.ibb.co/bKqr0a/IMG_0557.jpg' alt='IMG_0557.jpg'>

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Congrats on your new ride ... the bike looks mint. Yeah Canadian winters are brutal ... if nothing else you'll have time to do some upgrades in the next few months.

• Premium Member

Nice, and congratulations. Watch that CC, its a slippery slope especially with our down time here. The bike will be happy in that parkade too. I have a similar arrangement which is very welcome for mods and maintenance.

You said, "just need an all round good bike and personally I think the FZ07 fits the bill."

In my personal opinion, I feel the same way but I have to add it stands out as a hooligan bike more than anything else, which is what attracted me. Just take a look at all the FZ-07 wheelie videos on you tube and you may become a believer.

Beemer

Archived