The MT-07 Forum

Am I Wearing Sufficient Gear?

philthyphil

I haven't been riding long, and when I bought my bike the dealer gave me a %20 discount on basically anything else I wanted in the store so I took advantage of that and bought most of my gear. I didn't get a full blown riding jacket. Mostly because they didn't have any that I liked that fit me right. I just want to make sure that I am wearing the right / enough stuff to protect me in the event that I did go down on the bike. So here's what I have. 

[ul type=disc][*]Gloves w/ armored knuckles (not leather)[*]DOT approved full face helmet (good quality)[*]Speed and Strength armored flannel[*]Kevlar lined pants with knee and hip CE armor (off brand w/ good reviews online)[*]Speed and Strength Run w/ the Bulls Moto Leather Shoes[/ul]

My biggest concern is the fact that I don't have a fully fledged riding jacket. The armored flannel has CE approved back plate, shoulders, and elbows. I have read reviews online for the armored flannel of individuals who have gone down with it on and said it did its job, and I've also read people's reviews saying that it is not a viable alternative to a riding jacket. The armored flannel has something like anchors in the back, which are made to be snapped to your pants, I guess to hold it in place, but my pants don't have anywhere to connect them. There aren't even belt loops that line up. I could see the flannel sliding up if someone where to hit the asphalt at the wrong angle, and as a result the armor sliding out of any useful position. Is this a sufficient gear setup? 

I would for sure visit Revzilla and look at riding jackets. I dont trust so called armored flannel at all. Road rash is a bitch, it burns the skin right off to the bone. Go with the best armored riding jacket that you can afford.

Start here http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-jackets

Leather is best. It will always be best. But, hot and sometimes very uncomfortable. Textile is ok, go for the higher cordura ratings and name brand jackets.

Main thing is, you dont want any skin exposed when you go down.

booboobusfz07

Your best bet? Get a full leather jacket an actual leather gloves.
Gloves are not something worth skimping on. If you're on a budget get some scorpion sgs mk3s. All the armor you can get in a short cuff with full leather palm an actual knox sliders. Like 80$ i think.

Definitely step up to a real leather jacket. Unfortunately the good ones arent really cheap. Price plays a HUGE role in the Fit an finish of a leather jacket.

Sure that flannel might protect you. And for a 5 min trip to the store no problem. But any high speed or canyon/mountain riding and i would definitely want something beefier.

My daily riding gear is a full textile jacket with armor,armored/kevlar reinforced jeans or armored textile over pants (depends on weather), leather gloves(Full and half depending on weather/what type of riding I am doing) and riding boots that have ankle support. I went this route as I commute 90% of my time on the bike and felt like a safe trade off for a bit more comfort

I agree with other recommending leather as it is the best(Reason track suits are made out of it). Another area not to skimp on is boots. Get your self a nice set of riding boots with ankle support if you dont already have them.

Thats my 2 cents :)

Definitely agree with the leather don't skimp out there. Yea riding jackets are big and cumbersome but will save you. I really should get armored pants but it's a risk I take.

• Premium Member

Just my humble opinion here....Dont put too much credit in people's "reviews" on shopping sites. Look for proper reviews from people who know what they're talking about and who are not basing their opinion on fashion over function. Do your own research on different materials like various kevlar and cordura weaves, thread quality /stitching (single? double? triple stitch?), armour grades,  the various species and grades of leathers etc and especially dig up what not to wear, there's so much cheap trash on the market. Are you wearing a purse/handbag fashion grade leather from China or India? Its your azz so take the time to make an informed decision where your hard-earned money goes.  Dont skimp, it just isnt worth it. Materials, materials, materials.

l have far more confidence on the bike knowing exactly whats between myself and the road if that dreaded day ever happens. I researched photos of accident victims and the lovely consequences of cheap, improper, or lack of gear. I like all my bones/extremities/flesh just where they are....I spent a little more. :)   I really envy watching those guys zipping around all comfy in a 'speedo' while I sweat my bag off in high-end leather, but that's the trade off I'm willing to make for piece of mind. Obviously for many, wearing full leather is just too uncomfortable and for this reason, Motoport gear is my next 'go-to'; Sheit aint cheap but everyone loves it. As others here have said there is a trade off for that certain level of comfort you require. A lot of people just dont care so much for safety, so be it.
My 2 cents.

Its mind-numbing how much gear is out there, but a few trustworthy brands (that Im really pleased with) that you might want to check out that can at least get you started:
"Racer" (gloves), "Dainese", "http://www.motoport.com/", "Sidi", "Helite" airvests ->(Vendor here on the forum).  Those Itallians really know whats what. ;)   Love their parts, love their gear.

Stay safe out there.

A PDF to a few materials....   
www.ducatitorun.pl/foto/foldery/2014/Wyroby%20skórzane.pdf

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I'm assuming the flannel has no form of abrasion resistant liner or inter-weave, so definitely get a real riding jacket. I have 1 leather, 2 textile, and 1 mesh for the super dog days. If you can't afford leather, a textile should do fine.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

As many mentioned before, a good leather jacket is probably the best upper body protection you can buy. I ride with mine throughout the year, only switching to fabric in those super hot summer days. I've seen used leather jackets that people sell on Kijiji, and trust me you can find a mint jacket (less than a year old) for $150 - $300.

• Premium Member

I don't follow it but the best protection is a full leather suit , full face helmet, full length boots and gauntlet leather gloves. Might sound funny at first but look at Moto GP and what they are wearing there is a reason for it. A jacket can pull/slide up in a fall, most pants can do the same and generally don't have protection everywhere. Its a compromise, riding a bike your risks are just higher but do the best you can to stay safe.

I learned my lesson from going down a time or 2 wearing gear so it could have been worse but it could have been better.

my 2

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Some of the guys I know ride with the one piece racing suit. As well they should the way they ride ... lol.

2 crashes last summer. Both were injured but a lot of damage was avoided by good gear.

Well worth the money.

Downside is those suits are really hot and one has to live with "power ranger" comments.

It is never enough... leathers ideally as mentioned & boots!
If not, whatever you can afford.

Fiber full-face helmet is a must, even if it is summer! I find it surprising that in some states helmets are not mandatory...

Safe riding!

Thank you all for the great information and suggestions. I really appreciate it! After spending most of yesterday researching fabrics and armor types I finally found a jacket at Revzilla that works for my needs and my budget. I went with the Olympia Switchback 2 in black/high vis yellow. I'm working with a limited budget so I needed to keep the jacket under $250 and try for the most bang for the buck. The jacket has a 500D Cordura outer shell, removable waterproof liner, and CE armor in all the right places. I also wanted something that I could use throughout most, if not all of the year here in California. I researched the hell out of the jacket before making the purchase and I feel confident that the Cordura shell will do its job if its ever needed, which hopefully it won't be. The gloves that I have right now aren't the best, but they do have some protection on the palm and knuckles. For now the jacket is all i'll be able to swing. After I save up a few bucks i'll invest in a nicer pair of gloves also. Thanks again for everyone's help!

• Premium Member

Keep an eye out on ebay and amazon I found deals for 100's off store price for good gear. If time is on your side you can save a ton on good gear.

I've bought a ton of gloves for 50 to over 200 bucks and these are by far the best gloves I've had kangaroo palm around 100 bucks but worth it IMO I have short and long cuff. they are getting harder to find now. I ended up wasting a ton of cash on gloves and everyone had a different hand shape so no one can tell you whats will be best for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scorpion-Mens-SG3-Motorcycle-Gloves-Size-L-only-/322316371239?hash=item4b0b8d8527:g:Ft8AAOSw44BYG4bf&vxp=mtr.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

This is my best protection requirement in decreasing order:

1. helmet (min $150 and ECE certified, avoid DOT only)
2. gloves - full finger, leather, over the wrist ($50+)
3. proper mid-calf armored boots - not race but proper heel cups and semi-rigid, not overgrown sneakers
4. pants - any 600+ cordura with hip, knee pads, forget Kevlar lined jeans by themselves
5. jacket - proper cordura or leather with internal armor that fits snug and ideally attaches to pants
Total ~$600+

Your bike was 5 grand, you can bloody well afford $600 for self preservation.

Learn to roll in a crash and not try to catch yourself. Now obviously one should always AGATT.
Most of my gear is Joe Rocket and generally has come from motorcyclegear.com

I've crashed in cordura, in premium leather, and in 'air' openweave jackets. If you hands don't work or you can't walk even if temporarily it's going to royally suck. The lighter weight stuff should be considered single-use. The premium 3mm cowhide stuff will take a beating but of course it depends on the crash.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

dentalprodigy
Thank you all for the great information and suggestions. I really appreciate it! After spending most of yesterday researching fabrics and armor types I finally found a jacket at Revzilla that works for my needs and my budget. I went with the Olympia Switchback 2 in black/high vis yellow. I'm working with a limited budget so I needed to keep the jacket under $250 and try for the most bang for the buck. The jacket has a 500D Cordura outer shell, removable waterproof liner, and CE armor in all the right places. I also wanted something that I could use throughout most, if not all of the year here in California. I researched the hell out of the jacket before making the purchase and I feel confident that the Cordura shell will do its job if its ever needed, which hopefully it won't be. The gloves that I have right now aren't the best, but they do have some protection on the palm and knuckles. For now the jacket is all i'll be able to swing. After I save up a few bucks i'll invest in a nicer pair of gloves also. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Nice. Good job going with Olympia brand. I'm extremely satisfied with the value and protection in their jackets. Pat yourself on the back for going with the Hi viz color haha. I had a high side crash in October and rolled on the highway at 45-50 mpg and it was barely scuffed(was wearing a kreiga r20 backpack too which absorbed all majority of the damage). I had the Olympia air glide 4 in high viz.
I'm soo impressed with Olympia that I bought the Olympia Dakar edition jacket as well (also great).

I would say that if the circumstances are right when and if you lay your bike down, that gear will protect you. Better gear will obviously perform better but not necessarily keep you from getting hurt or worse. Keep in mind, even with the best gear in the world, people still die in motorcycle accidents so no matter what you wear, stay extra alert and be the best defensive rider you can be to avoid accidents in the first place. That will keep you out of trouble/the hospital more often than anything you can wear. Stay frosty!

Beemer

I'm glad you found a quality jacket that will work for your application. Definitely look into upgrading those gloves though. I've been using held evo thrux gauntlets and they have served me well. A big problem common among gloves is the stitching failing just from day to day use. Research a brand that has good longevity in that department. It won't do you any good to spend 50-100 on a new pair of gloves every 3000 miles, if you could've spent more on a pair that lasts 15000 miles and serves you better in the event of an accident. I've been down twice and trust me, the last thing you're thinking about is how you wish you had spent less on your gear.

I'm glad you found a quality jacket that will work for your application. Definitely look into upgrading those gloves though. I've been using held evo thrux gauntlets and they have served me well. A big problem common among gloves is the stitching failing just from day to day use. Research a brand that has good longevity in that department. It won't do you any good to spend 50-100 on a new pair of gloves every 3000 miles, if you could've spent more on a pair that lasts 15000 miles and serves you better in the event of an accident. I've been down twice and trust me, the last thing you're thinking about is how you wish you had spent less on your gear.
Yea, i'm definitely going to invest in some good gloves very soon. To be honest, when I bought my bike I didn't know a whole hell of allot about riding gear. I knew, from common sense that it was important, but outside of that I didn't know much. The guy that sold me the bike at the dealer helped me pick out gear, but come to find out most of the stuff he directed me towards isn't all that great. At least I got I good helmet. I knew that was very important so I picked out one of the higher priced ones. The last thing I want to do is skimp on the stuff that is going to help me stay safe in the event of a mishap. I'm still rebounding from buying the bike, and the unexpected, ridiculously high price that I had to pay to get it fully insured, but I think I'm getting a pretty good set of gear put together now that I know a little more about what I need, thanks in big part to the helpful folks here on this site!

• Premium Member
Nice. Good job going with Olympia brand. I'm extremely satisfied with the value and protection in their jackets. Pat yourself on the back for going with the Hi viz color haha. I had a high side crash in October and rolled on the highway at 45-50 mpg and it was barely scuffed(was wearing a kreiga r20 backpack too which absorbed all majority of the damage). I had the Olympia air glide 4 in high viz.
I'm soo impressed with Olympia that I bought the Olympia Dakar edition jacket as well (also great).
+1 for Olympia.  I have the Olympia NewHorizon rain jacket. Extremely pleased with its build quality and features. The very first day I brought it along in my tail bag the weather really opened up and it did an amazing job keeping me bone dry.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

+1 for Olympia.  I have the Olympia NewHorizon rain jacket. Extremely pleased with its build quality and features. The very first day I brought it along in my tail bag the weather really opened up and it did an amazing job keeping me bone dry.

I just got my Olympia Switchback today, and I have to say that I really do like it. I like Revzilla's shipping too. It was here in one day at not cost for shipping. The jacket molds to my upper body perfectly without feeling constrictive. The quality seems flawless. I went for a ride around town late in the afternoon, and there was a bit of chill in the air, about 55 Fahrenheit. With the windbreaker liner the jacket kept me very comfortable, even while up to speed. I think this jacket will serve me well for most of the year here in California.

Archived