The MT-07 Forum

ACF50-Winter Corrosion Protection

Redstang4

Finally received my can of ACF50. Before I apply it I wanted to do a bit more research, as I did I figured I'd start a thread and share with everyone.  This stuff seems to be some what of a miracle, and can be sprayed on everything, EXCEPT for the tires and brakes.  Though I am yet to decide if I am going to spray the chain.

Some light reading
MotoUSA article

And some videos/ I'm more a visual person (most guys are... ;) )
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6viSTMBnL_M]

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqawma005O4]

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_b75b7dlGA]

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwYeC2Lwzz0]

I was hoping to get this stuff on weeks ago-blasted holidays, also my Mother is getting married with the coming New Year so I will be out of town again this weekend >:D . Hoping I will be back with enough time to wash, apply this stuff, and get some new blood(oil) in my baby on Monday.  Hope to update this Tuesday. 

Though by what I have read and watched, I already would suggest this to the few of you who are still riding.  :P

Application couldn't have gone smoother. Spray on, let sit 5-10 minutes-- wipe it down to spread evenly and take off excess. Did not leave a residue or go on goopy like one of the videos said(though I did use the aerosol can and he did not), left a nice shiny finish. Looks like it did when she rolled off the show room floor! Had to do it in my moms garage(I don't have one) and it was raining, also pouring rain on the way into work this morning. Water just beads up and doesn't stay on the parts I sprayed at all. 1st impression is WOW! Ima use this stuff year round.  I did not use it on the chain, just normal cleaning and lube for that. I will follow with updates on how it is working(or not working) as time and the weather beat down on it.

Don't have time to watch all the videos right now, sorry, but I take it that like Rain X, you need to apply it every couple months or so???

Beemer

Apparently once a year, in spring wash the bike nicely and reapply when the cold comes.

So I guess WD40 is only applied in areas with screws and similar, right?

Safe riding!

Apparently once a year, in spring wash the bike nicely and reapply when the cold comes. 
So I guess WD40 is only applied in areas with screws and similar, right?
I don't use WD40, except for cleaning the chain. White lithium grease instead on those parts(i.e. kick stand, levers, throttle cables, etc.)

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Well, I ordered some ACF-50 a week or two ago, and as it just so happens, one of our engineers at work was trying to solve a problem with some corrosion related problems on some metalwork that goes into the chassis of the equipment we make.  The metal is bent steel with a clear zinc finish.  In humid environments it exhibits some etching and "white rust" especially where fingers (salt sweat) have come in contact. I told him about the ACF-50 and he was excited to try it in his experiments.  Here is how he conducted the experiment, (not too scientific, but effective for what we are trying to learn)...
1) Take the chassis parts from our manufacturer and leave one side untreated.  treat other side with corrosion preventive coating.
2) Lightly spray entire chassis with light coat of salt water.
3) Put in humidity chamber for 48 hours.

Here are the results folks...  very disappointing!

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Disappointing, rowdy, but not surprising. If there were "magic" we'd all have been using it already.

Yes disappointing indeed.

As a follow up this has been a very light winter in northern Virginia and really don't have anything to update. All so far has been cold and occasional road pre treatments there hasn't been anything to say if the stuff is working and worth it.

I am from Nova Scotia, the salt capital of the world. If it isn't road salt, there is ocean salt in the air. The only thing that actually effectively keeps the tin worm at bay is continuous cleaning all the time, or a redneck undercoating. Mix graphite, motor oil and fluid film together, spray on, drive down a dusty road, repeat until there is a nice 1/8" coating on the underside of the vehicle. Super not good for the environment, and looks god awful, but it is the only thing that I have ever seen to keep the rust away from cars around here. Rust check, and Krown are also effective. Anything that says miracle etc is a gimmick and probably only good for California, where they don't actually experience rust to any detrimental degree.

• Premium Member
I am from Nova Scotia, the salt capital of the world. If it isn't road salt, there is ocean salt in the air. The only thing that actually effectively keeps the tin worm at bay is continuous cleaning all the time, or a redneck undercoating. Mix graphite, motor oil and fluid film together, spray on, drive down a dusty road, repeat until there is a nice 1/8" coating on the underside of the vehicle. Super not good for the environment, and looks god awful, but it is the only thing that I have ever seen to keep the rust away from cars around here. Rust check, and Krown are also effective. Anything that says miracle etc is a gimmick and probably only good for California, where they don't actually experience rust to any detrimental degree.
Fluid Film performed the best in the tests we've done.  It was the only thing that beat out doing nothing. :) 

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived