The MT-07 Forum

myTAKE: Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust

thenakedONES

• Premium Member

I still love mine. I have baffle in and removed the sticker before the install. It shines up nicely using WD40 as a cleaner. ;)

Why can't left turners see us?

Good story and equal writing! Wish there were more like it out there to read about, it was a pleasure. Being close to the ocean I get to hear a decent amount of boat engines and I've always thought that either Akra pipe made the FZ-07 sound like a jacked-up v-8 on the water hitting that magically sweet, rpm spot.  ;) Who can resist bending an ear to listen to it until it fades? Not I.
Thank you! Appreciate the kind words! It does sound like a V8 most definitely, but a boat V8? Hhhmmm... I haven't heard much of those lately... Gotta hang out at the ocean a bit more! :)
Yeah, you know how they resonate when cruising on the water. The akra pipe resonates the same. 

Beemer

thenakedONES
I still love mine. I have baffle in and removed the sticker before the install. It shines up nicely using WD40 as a cleaner. ;)
That's exactly what I use as well! Gives the titanium portion a nice clean sheen! Have you found anything that works great on the stainless section of this exhaust?

thenakedONES
Thank you! Appreciate the kind words! It does sound like a V8 most definitely, but a boat V8? Hhhmmm... I haven't heard much of those lately... Gotta hang out at the ocean a bit more! :)
Yeah, you know how they resonate when cruising on the water. The akra pipe resonates the same.
It does resonate a bit no doubt! 

• Premium Member
That's exactly what I use as well! Gives the titanium portion a nice clean sheen! Have you found anything that works great on the stainless section of this exhaust?
I just use the WD40 on that too, and it does take off the dirt, but it doesn't shine up quite as nice as the Ti. 

• Premium Member

thenakedONES, "Avanti" was the fastest production car in the world in 1962 when it was introduced by Studebaker. Ones I still race (and help others) with, setting and holding records on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I've driven three 200+ mph Avantis, still using 50+ year old Studebaker engines, on the Salt.

1943_on_the_salt_3_LSR.jpg

thenakedONES
thenakedONES, "Avanti" was the fastest production car in the world in 1962 when it was introduced by Studebaker. Ones I still race (and help others) with, setting and holding records on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I've driven three 200+ mph Avantis, still using 50+ year old Studebaker engines, on the Salt. 
1943_on_the_salt_3_LSR.jpg

Wow! That is freakin' awesome! Never knew the history behind that car... Thanks for the info!

thenakedONES
I just use the WD40 on that too, and it does take off the dirt, but it doesn't shine up quite as nice as the Ti.
Yup I've noticed that too!  
Hey got a quick question for ya or anyone else here who has experienced this issue/feature/phenomenon...

Has your exhaust header down pipes turned a blue-ish color much? I have noticed just a very slight blue hue to a small area on my right pipe towards the top of the pipe right at the bend but don't notice much at all on the left... I hope I am not running more lean on that cylinder than on the opposing one... I wonder if that could be a sign of needing my throttle bodies sync'd? I noticed it started turning just a tiny bit blue after I got my ECU re flashed... Bike doesn't necessarily run any hotter but then again I think the temp gauge pertains to the coolant temp... Hhhmmm... Kinda mind boggling... Maybe it's a normal feature with this particular exhaust material... Will keep a close eye on it!

• Premium Member

Yea, I haven't worried about it though because the bike seems to be running fine.
Here's an example of mine... 
[attachment id=2428" thumbnail="1]

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, reviving a thread.

Installed the Akro titanium exhaust on my bike not long ago and have been running baffle in, I loved the sound it produced when in the mid to high rpm's but felt it lacked when idling and at low revs for when I'm lane filtering and want cars to hear me.
So today I decided to remove the DB killer, I used wd40 with multi grips and tapping with a hammer with a wiggling motion and had it out in under 5 minutes.
My first thoughts of the sound without the DB killer was "holy crap that sounds tough", after a 10min ride around my local area I've decided that its just way too loud and my ears were starting to feel numb.
I feel the exhaust needs to be between DB in and DB out, I've seen the video on youtube where a guy drills holes in the pipes on the DB killer which makes it louder with the DB killer in.

Has anyone done this mod? I'm keen to try it.

Also to the above guys, the exhaust is made out of titanium so when it gets hot it changes colour to a browny purple colour.

• 2 weeks later...
thenakedONES
Hi guys, reviving a thread. 
Installed the Akro titanium exhaust on my bike not long ago and have been running baffle in, I loved the sound it produced when in the mid to high rpm's but felt it lacked when idling and at low revs for when I'm lane filtering and want cars to hear me.
So today I decided to remove the DB killer, I used wd40 with multi grips and tapping with a hammer with a wiggling motion and had it out in under 5 minutes.
My first thoughts of the sound without the DB killer was "holy crap that sounds tough", after a 10min ride around my local area I've decided that its just way too loud and my ears were starting to feel numb.
I feel the exhaust needs to be between DB in and DB out, I've seen the video on youtube where a guy drills holes in the pipes on the DB killer which makes it louder with the DB killer in.

Has anyone done this mod? I'm keen to try it.

Also to the above guys, the exhaust is made out of titanium so when it gets hot it changes colour to a browny purple colour.

My DB killer came out very quickly and easily as well using that same method. WD40 works wonders on that thing! And yesssss... This exhaust sounds DAMN TOUGH with DB killer out!! I FREAKIN LOVE IT!!!

I have seen that drilling holes option to increase the sound some what but never thought to do it once I took my DB killer out as I am a huge fan of the sound with it removed.

The Akrapovic Titanium exhaust actually contains a stainless steel header and mid-pipe section which also changes color some what with increased use and/or increased temps... The Titanium aspect is solely at the muffler section.

thenakedONES
I just ordered the Akro described above. From here
CONGRATS!!!

I have no doubt that you will absolutely love it! **DB Killer Out   :D

thenakedONES

***UPDATE:
After about 3500 miles with this exhaust installed "baffle out" I gotta say I wouldn't change anything about it! Sure... it's really loud, but it doesn't have a disturbing tone IMO that makes my brain want to explode like my previous Two Bros Racing exhaust on my Kawasaki... The drone was intolerable with even cruising around town!!

This Akro Ti is truly my favorite exhaust for this bike after hearing and seeing quite a few others out there, and I have absolutely no regrets on my choice... For longer distance rides I definitely wear ear plugs which works out great! No ringing in my ears nor headaches thankfully!

The color change on my header pipes has not increased much at all from the initial few hundred mile warming/cooking phase. The tone and loudness hasn't changed much from the initial start up with baffle out. Thankfully the materials are holding up nicely with no noticeable scratching nor denting on the titanium muffler section or stainless steel pipes from road debris and overall use. The springs that hold the pipes together show no signs of wear or breakage at this point.

My biggest gripe about this exhaust would STILL be the damn muffler stickers that Akrapovic gave us here in the US (which are amazingly still intact!!) instead of the beautifully etched version.

Overall... Still very happy with this exhaust and would still highly recommend it!

Archived