The MT-07 Forum

Battery issues

roadrunner

I went out and bought a multimeter(Innova 3320)

Here are the tests I've run so far(keep in mind this is after maybe a month+ of no use, no charging, nothing) with the multimeter set to battery load test 12v

Off 12.35 - 12.25v
On 11.95 - 11.92
On engine on - FAIL no start
After 1st try 11.35
After 2nd try 10.85
After 3rd try 9.20

I started charging the battery
Solid red @12pm

I'm gonna wait and see how long it take to get green, then do the tests again

Battery sounds shot to me.

Get this: https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTZ10S.html

$58 delivered. Went 6 years in my 2006 Honda ST1300. Getting a new one this Spring.  I always plug my bikes in to a Battery Tender JR. when not in use.

Bikes generally don't charge at idle like cars do. If you spend a lot of time in traffic or don't ride far they need help.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Thanks! I'll check that one out too

Update:

Off 12.35 - 12.25v
On 11.95 - 11.92
On engine on FAIL
1st try 11.35
2nd try 10.85
3rd try 9.20

Started charging
Solid red @12pm
Full solid green by at least 1pm

Disconnected at 1:30pm

2nd test after fully charging 1.5 hrs

Off - 12.67
On - 12.34
On engine on
- cold start idle - 14.09
@1krpm idle - 14.00 - 13.98

Turned bike off (neighbor was leaving)
Turned back on, engine on

162f @4k - 14.20

Idle
13.90 - 13.85

Idle Highbeam on

Idle Highbeam on left turn signal on
13.70 - 13.20

Idle Highbeam Emergency lights on
13.30 - 12.60

Tested again
4k 13.70 - 13.50 (I think, got distracted, but it was definitely less than 14v)

Engine off, bike on - 11.45

Im guessing from what one of you said earlier, these stats are not good.. but do they prove the battery is bad, or is it something worse? I couldn't test the stator.. I don't know how

Your voltage at 4k rpm is good. Charging system is fine, get a battery.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Alright I'm probably not going to keep the bike longer than maybe a year, so im leaning towards whatever is the cheapest but reliable option. Since I don't think this battery issue is common, I leaning towards just getting another OEM. I found this:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yuasa-ytz10s-factory-activated-agm-high-performance-battery#skus_tab

and also found the same model number on amazon for $125. I'm thinking of just asking revzilla to price match. that way i save the taxes from buying it at the local dealer(for $120+ tax)

i'd still consider getting a lithium battery if there's a good reliable one in a similar price range(max maybe $10 or $15 more)

What do you guys think and is there any good lithium battery out there around that price range?

Thanks for all the help!

@rick @peteinpa @pgeldz

• Premium Member
Alright I'm probably not going to keep the bike longer than maybe a year, so im leaning towards whatever is the cheapest but reliable option. Since I don't think this battery issue is common, I leaning towards just getting another OEM. I found this: 
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yuasa-ytz10s-factory-activated-agm-high-performance-battery#skus_tab

and also found the same model number on amazon for $125. I'm thinking of just asking revzilla to price match. that way i save the taxes from buying it at the local dealer(for $120+ tax)

i'd still consider getting a lithium battery if there's a good reliable one in a similar price range(max maybe $10 or $15 more)

What do you guys think and is there any good lithium battery out there around that price range?

Thanks for all the help!

@rick @peteinpa @pgeldz
I can help you out on the EarthX Lithium, but it's still going to be more than your range :( 
- Paul

Just get a battery that fits, keep it charged and make sure it doesn't freeze, you'll be fine for a few years.
It's definately the battery and not the charging system that fail you.

Thanks for all the help!

@rick @peteinpa @pgeldz
I can help you out on the EarthX Lithium, but it's still going to be more than your range :( 
- Paul

The weather still sucks here so I'm holding off, maybe I'll change my mind on price, but thanks man!! I'll text you if I do

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
From an older thread when I first got my battery... 

I got the EarthX ETX18F. After researching all the available batteries I wanted a straight drop in with similar case dimensions as the OEM battery. There are a few out there that fit that bill, but out of all of them, the EarthX is the lightest at 2.2 lbs. Shori was 2.3lbs, and Antigravity was 2.4 if I'm not mistaken.

:)

- Paulie

Paulie, you're the man! Thanks for this. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived