The MT-07 Forum

Am I messing up my bike?

philthyphil

I have had like a gazillion different opinions on how to do the break in on my new FZ 07. The salesmen that sold me the bike told me to just ride it like normal. He said to open it up a little and run it through all of the gears within the first 50 miles or so, and other than that to just ride it like I normally would. I'm not really comfortable with hauling balls on it yet anyway so normal for me means a top speed of 80 mph or so, if that. 

I've basically just been riding it around town. I have gotten on the throttle a few times, bringing the engine up to around 7000 rpm through 1st and 2nd gear, and I've also had it out on the open road moving at about 60 mph for maybe a half an hour straight with it in 6th gear around 4000 rpm. Most of the time I'm in 4th gear going 35 mph or so in town. The bike has almost 300 miles on it now. Am I breaking it in wrong? I keep having this gut wrenching though that I am going to cause the motor to be less powerful in the future because of the way I'm riding it now. Is this true, or am I overreacting?  

• Global Moderator

Everyone has a different opinion about this. The one thing we all seem to agree on is that you need to avoid prolonged operation at the same rpm. In my opinion it is hard to mess up a modern engine and any decrease in power because you did the "wrong" break in will be negligible and probably not noticeable except on a dyno. Do not worry about it and just enjoy the bike.

Everyone has a different opinion about this. The one thing we all seem to agree on is that you need to avoid prolonged operation at the same rpm. In my opinion it is hard to mess up a modern engine and any decrease in power because you did the "wrong" break in will be negligible and probably not noticeable except on a dyno. Do not worry about it and just enjoy the bike.
Awesome, that's great to hear! What would generally be considered prolonged operation at the same rpm? A half hour, two hours? Thanks.

I have had like a gazillion different opinions on how to do the break in on my new FZ 07. The salesmen that sold me the bike told me to just ride it like normal. He said to open it up a little and run it through all of the gears within the first 50 miles or so, and other than that to just ride it like I normally would. I'm not really comfortable with hauling balls on it yet anyway so normal for me means a top speed of 80 mph or so, if that.  
I've basically just been riding it around town. I have gotten on the throttle a few times, bringing the engine up to around 7000 rpm through 1st and 2nd gear, and I've also had it out on the open road moving at about 60 mph for maybe a half an hour straight with it in 6th gear around 4000 rpm. Most of the time I'm in 4th gear going 35 mph or so in town. The bike has almost 300 miles on it now. Am I breaking it in wrong? I keep having this gut wrenching though that I am going to cause the motor to be less powerful in the future because of the way I'm riding it now. Is this true, or am I overreacting?  

Your fine man. Just avoid being at the same rpms range. And if ya get a chance, give it to it for a while on a straight and relatively empty road. Dont baby it, and avoid keeping it at same rmp. Emtpy roads, rev up, down, up , down. Their is a tech tip on this in our tip section. http://fz07.org/thread/121/infamous-motoman-method-breaking-engine

• Premium Member

Change your oil and adjust/clean/lube your chain at 600 miles or so. Make sure they put your rear tire on straight you have marks on your swing arm its a good place to check if its on the same mark its should be ok, the marks are not perfect but a good check. Start learning how to work on it take off your seat inspect the battery ( make sure you put the seat back on right).

Just a few things that go threw my mind if I had a new bike. We have a Service manual some where here on the sight to show you how to and when too also. lots of videos out there.

Your fine on the break in like everyone says. Changing  your oil and filter is the main thing IMO.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Archived