The MT-07 Forum

Damn It All....!!! ? >>CRG RC2 Brake Lever<<

thenakedONES

Hey all...
Just curious if anyone has gotten a CRG RC2 brake lever that just wouldn't fit their FZ-07 no matter how much love they put into the install?! Verified correct part #'s over and over and... over!! Greased everything with white lithium grease... Tried to insert the connecting piece in every way possible and still the holes wouldn't line up easily AND flush like with the stock lever...

Now... I was FINALLY able to fit the bolt into the holes with slightly compressing the brake master cylinder switch but the fitment was horrible as major binding and tough lever function was immediately noticed even before attempting to tighten down the bolt... The brake would remain pressed in and would only slightly move to the original position until I manually pulled the lever away... So yup! No way in hell I am gonna be riding with this thing installed... Emailed CRG & awaiting their response to this... Any help or experience with this issue as always is greatly appreciated!! ??

I'm with hamster, you must have gotten sent the wrong lever because even my cheapie Chinese levers fit just fine, 2 different vendors, short and long. Don't get frustrated, the right lever should be an easy fit.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Someone on this forum posted the same issue back in September with their new CRG brake lever. He contacted CRG and it turned out the brake lever was at the high end of their thickness tolerance levels. So CRG sent him a new brake lever that was at the lower end of their thickness tolerance levels and it fit fine. I guess CRG did not want to admit they made a mistake. To see the thread about this issue, go to page 2 under "Yamaha FZ-07 Problems and Answers", the thread is "Aftermarket Lever Fitment...". Good Luck!

By the way I installed the CRG RC2 clutch and brake levers on my 2015 FZ-07 with no issues over a year ago. They still work fine.

Unfortunately CRG has occasional issues with their manufacturing consistency. I bought CRG arrows that just didn't fit Rhino moto barends, was going crazy trying to figure it out, and after searching online, there were very little instances of some people (I recall only 2 or so records of it online) where their arrows didn't fit either all because of a very minuscule (less than 1mm) protrusion of the hinge pin which needed to be shaved down (hammering it in did nothing). Unfortunately unless you are a super precision master, this usually meant marring the finish of the areas surrounding the pin.

Anyway, long story short, I had to **** up some parts of my arrow's anodizing to install the arrow correctly.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Maybe they sent the incorrect reference for another model... it should be plug & play!
After much banging my head on the wall trying to figure out where the error was made and verifying part #'s over and over and also contacting Revzilla where I purchased the part, I have come to the realization that it MUST BE a manufacturing issue with CRG. Part #'s were confirmed to be correct as follows: 
CRG Part #586332
Vendor Part #2AB-531-H-B

I'm with hamster, you must have gotten sent the wrong lever because even my cheapie Chinese levers fit just fine, 2 different vendors, short and long. Don't get frustrated, the right lever should be an easy fit.
Thank you! I will just ride patiently with my ugly stock lever until the CRG peeps get back into the office around Jan 2 where this issue should be addressed and hopefully resolved with a new lever and a free set of rear sets for the inconvenience...  Hehehe! :D

Someone on this forum posted the same issue back in September with their new CRG brake lever. He contacted CRG and it turned out the brake lever was at the high end of their thickness tolerance levels. So CRG sent him a new brake lever that was at the lower end of their thickness tolerance levels and it fit fine. I guess CRG did not want to admit they made a mistake. To see the thread about this issue, go to page 2 under "Yamaha FZ-07 Problems and Answers", the thread is "Aftermarket Lever Fitment...". Good Luck! 
By the way I installed the CRG RC2 clutch and brake levers on my 2015 FZ-07 with no issues over a year ago. They still work fine.
Thank you so much for the info! I actually saw this guys issue on reddit of all places... Gave me a sense of hope that it was not me not knowing what the hell I was doing trying to install such a simple piece onto my bike after accomplishing much more difficult tasks in the past... I guess this type of thing must happen every now n then when a company makes a lever that fits numerous bikes instead of just 1 or 2 at the most... The consistency in quality control is a concern I must add... 

Unfortunately CRG has occasional issues with their manufacturing consistency. I bought CRG arrows that just didn't fit Rhino moto barends, was going crazy trying to figure it out, and after searching online, there were very little instances of some people (I recall only 2 or so records of it online) where their arrows didn't fit either all because of a very minuscule (less than 1mm) protrusion of the hinge pin which needed to be shaved down (hammering it in did nothing). Unfortunately unless you are a super precision master, this usually meant marring the finish of the areas surrounding the pin. 
Anyway, long story short, I had to **** up some parts of my arrow's anodizing to install the arrow correctly.
Awwww that sucks! I got a pair of CRG Hindsight LS mirrors which installed onto my Rhinomoto bar ends perfectly (talk about a rip off at $75 a pair for bar end adapters!!! But... Their pretty awesome no doubt and the install was ever so clean and easy!) Hence why I went w/ CRG's levers as I felt the quality was there... Well.. hopefully they swap out my lever for one that fits perfectly and feels most importantly "SAFE TO USE" because if I have any doubt at all in my mind that the new lever received is going to put me or my beloved bike in jeopardy then its going back for good...

• Premium Member

I know nothing about this brand, but what you have is CLEARLY NOT CORRECT!!! Get with your vendor and have him/her sort it out. S**t happen. I was sent the wrong levers by when I got mine and the vendor did a yeoman's job of straightening it all out--and, sending the things from the US back to France was not cheap, but at his expense. (btw, his worker sent the levers for the wrong bike; it happens. A good vendor will be happy to make it right!) BEST OF LUCK!!!

I know nothing about this brand, but what you have is CLEARLY NOT CORRECT!!! Get with your vendor and have him/her sort it out. S**t happen. I was sent the wrong levers by when I got mine and the vendor did a yeoman's job of straightening it all out--and, sending the things from the US back to France was not cheap, but at his expense. (btw, his worker sent the levers for the wrong bike; it happens. A good vendor will be happy to make it right!) BEST OF LUCK!!!
Thanks! The weird thing is... The part #'s n such all add up to being correct... It must be a manufacturing issue... Maybe the machine that made this particular lever had a momentary brain fart of some mechanical sort! ;)

• Premium Member

I also got CRG RC2 Shortly levers and they fit perfect for me. I got them from motostarz and here is the info listed when I purchased them:

CRG RC2 Levers ( Set of 2 )
Select Bike Model: 2015 Yamaha MT-07
Select Lever Length: Shorty
Select Lever Color: Gold
SKU: 2AN641 + 2AB531

Hope this helps you out!

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

Thank you! I will just ride patiently with my ugly stock lever until the CRG peeps get back into the office around Jan 2 where this issue should be addressed and hopefully resolved with a new lever and a free set of rear sets for the inconvenience...  Hehehe! :D
lol! Don't we wish ... a >>>*F R E E*<<< coupon for 10% off (WOW! SUPER!!) anything in the store is most likely. ;) 
You could just return them, I paid about $60 for my US 260 shorties from amazon and they fit fine, went right on, no problems and have worked fine for almost 2 yrs. now.

Beemer

I also got CRG RC2 Shortly levers and they fit perfect for me. I got them from motostarz and here is the info listed when I purchased them: 
CRG RC2 Levers ( Set of 2 )
Select Bike Model: 2015 Yamaha MT-07
Select Lever Length: Shorty
Select Lever Color: Gold
SKU: 2AN641 + 2AB531

Hope this helps you out!

- Pancho

Thanks for the info!
My particular brake lever also carries that same part # but the actual lever is engraved with AB531... not sure if there's a difference with the 2AB531 part # and the AB531 engraving on the lever but mine sure doesn't fit! ?

lol! Don't we wish ... a >>>*F R E E*<<< coupon for 10% off (WOW! SUPER!!) anything in the store is most likely. ;) 
You could just return them, I paid about $60 for my US 260 shorties from amazon and they fit fine, went right one no problems and have worked fine for almost 2 yrs. now.

FREE STUFF makes the disappointment in such an expensive piece feel ohhhhh so much better right?! Haha!! ?

Yup! Planning on returning IF CRG doesn't offer a solution... which hopefully they will!

• 3 months later...

Not to revive this thread but want to say the same thing happened to me. The screw would not go through the brake lever into the thread at the bottom. The hole in the lever looks to be about 2 mm offset from the hole in the mounting piece on the bike. Of course the factory levers fit perfectly as did a Chinese import lever a borrowed from a friend. The CRG did not fit his FZ-07 either.

I am concerned about build quality given they cannot consistently manufacture the levers to fit properly. On top of that CRG wants me to return the defective lever to them at my expense.

Can anyone recommend shorty adjustable levers which actually fit?

michael

• Global Moderator

I like my ASV levers. The fit great and look to be excellent quality.

• Premium Member

Mine are foldable, distance adjustable (as are most), and adjustable for length, the latter being important to me.  They are from AVDB MOTO in France, purchased though ebay.  As mentioned above, they originally sent a pair for the wrong Yami, but quickly and pleasantly accepted full responsibility, sent the correct ones which fit and function perfectly... and, as noted, promptly refunded the full cost of return postage from the US to France--not cheap.  In actuality, I  could not recommend either the levers or the service more. 

And, unlike some of the cheap levers, the brake lever is 100% correct and does NOT drag the brake at all.  They were $91 delivered.  AVDB also refunded a portion of the  original shipping fee that the ebay site or whatever apparently overcharged me on the original purchase, perhaps an error or change in currency conversion that I'd never been the wiser to.

14986_2_Md.jpg

thenakedONES
Not to revive this thread but want to say the same thing happened to me. The screw would not go through the brake lever into the thread at the bottom. The hole in the lever looks to be about 2 mm offset from the hole in the mounting piece on the bike. Of course the factory levers fit perfectly as did a Chinese import lever a borrowed from a friend. The CRG did not fit his FZ-07 either. 
I am concerned about build quality given they cannot consistently manufacture the levers to fit properly. On top of that CRG wants me to return the defective lever to them at my expense.

Can anyone recommend shorty adjustable levers which actually fit?

michael
BINGO!! Sounds like you had the same exact issue that I had... I ended up corresponding with CRG over quite some time which resolved with me sending them the lever (at my expense)... Corresponded some more... Then finally I was sent a replacement lever which... guess what... FIT PERFECTLY!!! So that whole quality control/consistency factor is very much questionable I am afraid... BUT, now that I have both my levers installed, I do really like em... They look awesome and function pretty well. Just sucks I had to go through all that crap just to get a replacement that works as it should have originally!

I will be writing up a detailed review on these levers soon so stay tuned! :)

thenakedONES

Mine are foldable, distance adjustable (as are most), and adjustable for length, the latter being important to me.  They are from AVDB MOTO in France, purchased though ebay.  As mentioned above, they originally sent a pair for the wrong Yami, but quickly and pleasantly accepted full responsibility, sent the correct ones which fit and function perfectly... and, as noted, promptly refunded the full cost of return postage from the US to France--not cheap.  In actuality, I  could not recommend either the levers or the service more.   
And, unlike some of the cheap levers, the brake lever is 100% correct and does NOT drag the brake at all.  They were $91 delivered.  AVDB also refunded a portion of the  original shipping fee that the ebay site or whatever apparently overcharged me on the original purchase, perhaps an error or change in currency conversion that I'd never been the wiser to.

Now thats some good customer service right there!

Archived