The MT-07 Forum

Rear Pre-load Adjustment 250 Pound Rider

philthyphil

I'm just curious if there are any other heavy weights here that own the FZ 07? I weight 250 pounds and I currently have the preload adjustment set at 7 for the rear shock. What do you guys or gals have yours set at? What setting would you recommend for a 250 pound rider?

I don't have any knowledge concerning how the bike should handle or feel based on the suspension. The only thing I tried to shoot for when adjusting the rear shock was to have close to the same amount of sag on the front and rear whenever I sit on the bike. With the shock set at 7 I feel like I might actually need to go up one or two more clicks, which would put me close to, or right at the max setting. 

Same weight, can't stand the stocker - it's not sprung (or damped) anywhere close to reasonable. Even a $500 shock with the right spring will be worlds better.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm 250ish also at notch 5. Suspension is total cheap budget crap but it is ok for me most of the time.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I'm 240 and one click from max. not bad. though I'm a newbie when it comes to suspension...might need an upgrade...lol
Just let me know when you're ready, and I'll set you up with a fantastic shock from Bitubo at INCREDIBLE price! 
:)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

AlbatrossCafe

I'm ~230lb and around 260lb with gear when I ride. I'm at max preload. My buttocks/bike get destroyed on potholes. No amount of preload on the stock suspension will save you from that. As long as there are no potholes though, it is "good enough"......

6'2 270lbs and I've left my bike shock stock. I guess I need to look into doing an adjustment.
I definitely would if I were you. Mine came with the pre-load set at 3, which is super light. I assume that's where yours is too if you haven't messed with it. I weight 250 and the rear shock compressed way more than the front shocks before I adjusted it. I have mine at 7 now and the rear and front seem to compress about the same amount now when I sit on the bike. I'm thinking about going one or two more clicks.  
If I'm recalling correctly, just go to the side of your bike opposite the kickstand and fit the shock adjustment wrench over the shock. Turn the wrench towards yourself to make it more rigid. Probably should double check the manual just to be sure. It's really easy to adjust.  

• 2 weeks later...
6'2 270lbs and I've left my bike shock stock. I guess I need to look into doing an adjustment.
I definitely would if I were you. Mine came with the pre-load set at 3, which is super light. I assume that's where yours is too if you haven't messed with it. I weight 250 and the rear shock compressed way more than the front shocks before I adjusted it. I have mine at 7 now and the rear and front seem to compress about the same amount now when I sit on the bike. I'm thinking about going one or two more clicks.  
If I'm recalling correctly, just go to the side of your bike opposite the kickstand and fit the shock adjustment wrench over the shock. Turn the wrench towards yourself to make it more rigid. Probably should double check the manual just to be sure. It's really easy to adjust.  
Thanks for the info! I will have to check it out! 

The bike ships at position 3, 9 is max. 380 lbs is max load so should be on 9 then. So IDK for every 50lb drop go down 1 click???

With the rising rate linkage you can get a smoother ride at higher preload since you'll be using the whole stroke of the shock.

You really have to try changes then ride it and see.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Archived