The MT-07 Forum

Shifter Adjustment After Getting New Boots

philthyphil

I've had the FZ 07 for a little less than a week. I bought it new from the dealer. I ordered riding boots online the same day that I bought my bike, and they just came in the mail today. The boots I got are called Milwaukee Motorcycle Clothing Company Men's Throttle Motorcycle Boots. They look bad ass, no laces, just two zippers on each boot. Before I got these I was riding with my work boots, which are just standard men's work boots in size 13. My work boots are nice and worn in, not worn out though. With my work boots I am able to position my foot underneath the shifter for upshifting very well. I am also able to down shift without too much movement of my leg. Just kinda rock my foot on the peg. 

With the new boots, and the fact that I wear a size 13 they are extremely thick. I went for a ride as soon as the new boots came and I was having issues getting my foot under the shifter in order to shift up. I was able to shift, but my boot wasn't getting in there real good. So I went ahead and adjusted the linkage which allowed me to make more space for my foot under the shifter. I had to raise it up a good inch or more in order to really be able to get the new boot under the shifter. The only problem after doing that was that the shifter felt like it was up too high. Like I had to lift my foot all the way off the peg in order to down shift. So I adjusted it back down some, and tried to find a happy medium. I have it now so that I can get most of my boot under the shifter without having to really think about it, but it is still up a little higher than I would like for down shifting. I didn't mess with the course adjustment. I there any thing I can do to remedy this? To recap, the problem I am having is that when I adjust the shifter to a point where I can really fit my boot under it, it becomes too high for comfortable down shifts, and when I adjust it to where it is comfortable for downshifting, it is too low for my new fat boot to fit under it well. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

I had the same problem but since my new boots didn't cost a lot I just bought different boots but aren't there foot-peg lowering kits out there? Would that still have the same effect/problem you're having now??? Seems like it would. What about a shift lever extension kit? I don't know it this works for our bikes but you can research if not and maybe find one. I think a shift lever extension would give your foot the room it needs without changing the up/down shifting. 

https://www.denniskirk.com/577481.sku?ad=11620160307

I just found this on amazon, it's adjustable but I'm not sure if it's longer than the stock shifter, which is what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Racing-Shifter-YAMAHA-2014-2016/dp/B01HM7QL8I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482670225&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=shift+lever+extension+kit+FZ-07

Good luck!

Beemer

I had the same problem but since my new boots didn't cost a lot I just bought different boots but aren't there foot-peg lowering kits out there? Would that still have the same effect/problem you're having now??? Seems like it would. What about a shift lever extension kit? I don't know it this works for our bikes but you can research if not and maybe find one. I think a shift lever extension would give your foot the room it needs without changing the up/down shifting.   
https://www.denniskirk.com/577481.sku?ad=11620160307

I just found this on amazon, it's adjustable but I'm not sure if it's longer than the stock shifter, which is what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Racing-Shifter-YAMAHA-2014-2016/dp/B01HM7QL8I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482670225&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=shift+lever+extension+kit+FZ-07

Good luck!

Right on, thank you for the recommendations. Those both look like they could possibly help. I may just order the one from Amazon and if it doesn't work out I can always return it. I was also comparing my new boots to my work boots and they are actually about the same thickness. I think allot of my problem with the new boots is that they are just so stiff. They have like no bend, and my work boots bend very well. Maybe after they break in they'll work better. Thanks allot for the recommendations. I appreciate it!

Is there a way to increase the length of the shifter itself? I do not mean the length of the link but the lever that your boot goes under to shift.
I've seen them but not specifically for the FZ-07. You would have to research to see if they fit our bike or not. 
I don't know if this would fit or not:

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/rubber-shifter-peg-ds-241050.ph50005.prd/H50005.sku

Beemer

If you don't have any luck finding a longer shift peg you can look to see if a machine shop in your area can make one for you. If they quote you a high price maybe you can negotiate them down some. GL!

Beemer

@philthyphil,

There is also another solution you may not know about, By Gilles Tooling.

They have two (2) options:

1) an adjustable footpeg kit:  Gilles Tooling RGK2 Adj. Footpeg Kit

2) adjustasble rearsets:  Factor-X Rearsets  

Either option would solve your issue.  The adjustable footpeg kit is the more economical solution out of the two, and the footpegs with either option (since they use the same footpegs) are worlds better than stock.  They have the perfect amount of grip in all conditions, with any type of footwear, from riding shoes, to work boots, to full on race boots.

The prices listed on our website are full retail.  As always, PM me for a fantastic killer deal :)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

@philthyphil , 

Either option would solve your issue.  The adjustable footpeg kit is the more economical solution out of the two, and the footpegs with either option (since they use the same footpegs) are worlds better than stock.  They have the perfect amount of grip in all conditions, with any type of footwear, from riding shoes, to work boots, to full on race boots.

The prices listed on our website are full retail.  As always, PM me for a fantastic killer deal :)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Cool, thanks man. The first option, the adjustable foot pegs, look like something I could afford. The rear sets look awesome, but definitely out of my reach at this point as far as funds go. Do those foldable rider footrests provide allot of adjustment?

@philthyphil , 

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com
Cool, thanks man. The first option, the adjustable foot pegs, look like something I could afford. The rear sets look awesome, but definitely out of my reach at this point as far as funds go. Do those foldable rider footrests provide allot of adjustment?
The RGK2 adjustable Footrest system has a 20mm extension arm, so it's 20mm in any direction.  There is a 30mm extension arm available, but Gilles recommends it for passengers only (but it can by physically used for rider if you want).

When you click on the link above for the RGK 2 system, make sure you choose all the drop down choices so the correct price is reflected.  And as always, PM me for the best price :)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

The RGK2 adjustable Footrest system has a 20mm extension arm, so it's 20mm in any direction.  There is a 30mm extension arm available, but Gilles recommends it for passengers only (but it can by physically used for rider if you want). 
When you click on the link above for the RGK 2 system, make sure you choose all the drop down choices so the correct price is reflected.  And as always, PM me for the best price :)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com
Awesome, thanks. I just ordered a different pair of riding boots, well actually riding shoes this time, from Amazon, and I returned my old ones. I just couldn't get use to those big ol' honkin things. I'm gonna see how it feels with the new riding shoes and then i'll go from there.

@philthyphil , 

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com
Can this adjustable kit be used to lower the pegs a bit without conflicting with the brake pedal? I'm old and looking for a tad more legroom and less knee angle.

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com
Awesome, thanks. I just ordered a different pair of riding boots, well actually riding shoes this time, from Amazon, and I returned my old ones. I just couldn't get use to those big ol' honkin things. I'm gonna see how it feels with the new riding shoes and then i'll go from there.
No worrries.  If you find that your second pair of boots don't fit the bill either, we have you covered...with StylMartin.  They make really nice boots and riding shoes.  Check em out here:  StylMartin Boots and Riding Shoes

And @bugeyes, you can move the footrest 20mm in any direction, (or 30mm with the 30mm extension arm), so depending on the size of your foot and footgear, you should be fine.

:)

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

Archived