The MT-07 Forum

New FZ-07 Helmet Cable Missing

philthyphil

While reading the owner's manual for the FZ 07 that I bought the other day I came across the instructions on how to lock your helmet to the bike. There is supposed to be a small cable under the passenger seat which can be looped around a helmet on one end, and the screw driver under the seat on the other, effectively locking the helmet to the bike. I was kinda excited when I read that, and I ran out to the garage to try it out. To my dismay there was no helmet cable to be found under the passenger seat. It isn't in my tool kit either. There is a black rubber strap in my tool kit which I have no idea of it's purpose. 

Did anyone else not get the helmet cable with their new FZ 07, and can someone tell me what the little rubber strap is that comes in the toolkit? 

img_20161223_181957.jpg

upload imagem

I guess you can ask your dealership for it!

The rubber thing I believe is used to hold down different sized batteries.

Safe riding!

• Premium Member

I got the cable on the screw driver when I bought my bike, but I never use it. Your not missing much, but if it didn't come with the bike, then you deserve to get one from the dealership, assuming you bought it new. If you didn't... all bets are off. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

The rubber strap is to hold down the little black tool bag in the small compartment under the passenger seat. There are tabs on each side of the small compartment where the rubber strap's metal hooks attach.

The rubber strap is to hold down the little black tool bag in the small compartment under the passenger seat. There are tabs on each side of the small compartment where the rubber strap's metal hooks attach.
Nice, I had been reluctant to put the tool bag under the passenger seat because I didn't want it bouncing around in there. Very good to know. Thank you!

I got the cable on the screw driver when I bought my bike, but I never use it. Your not missing much, but if it didn't come with the bike, then you deserve to get one from the dealership, assuming you bought it new. If you didn't... all bets are off. :)
Yep, I got the bike from the Yamaha dealership in my hometown. The bike only had 3 miles on it when I got it. Very strange that the cable is missing. I guess either they forgot to put it in at the manufacturer plant, or they took it out at the dealership. I'll have to ride over to the dealership tomorrow and see if they can't hook me up with one.  

Here is a link to a thread that shows what the USA dealer should have given you:  LinktoInfo

Thank you for that. Yea it looks like I got everything except for the cable.

I also was missing that cable. Disliked the dealer enough to not want to even go back. The rubber strap was more trouble than worth so now it lives in a box.

I was missing the cable and owners manual when I got mine, and they shipped it over and un-crated it at that dealership. They were no help, so I ended up calling Yamaha power sports and they mailed them to me a week later.

• Premium Member

I found the crap that came "under the seat" was... well, mostly crap. I left it under the seat when I put on the OEM cowl and added my own took-kit of MY choosing.

And, isn't it a shame that some customers have to go directly to Yamaha to get what was supposed to have come with their bikes!  That's pitiful, imho.  The dealer lackie who writes a regular column in one of the national monthly motorcycle rags "from the dealer's perspective" usually makes me want to barf.

Well, great... I just realized I never got the rubber-strap thingee.  I don't mind, apart from the fact I paid for one and I might have been able to use it for something else, sometime.

The stuff you might be missing is for the usual reason:

All of the parts come within the very same shipping crate that the bike comes in.
Somebody is supposed to take the parts out of their cardboard box and put them in place on the bike.

Same reason if your clutch lever switch is not plugged in.
Same reason if your battery is installed backwards.
Same reason if your front wheel is installed backwards.
Same reason if you are missing the reflectors near the front calipers.
Same reason if you are missing your Owner's Manual.
Same reason if your speedometer wire is routed over your ignition switch (where your key goes).
Same reason if your handlebar and/or handlebar switches contact the fuel tank cover at full steering lock.

I tried the cable once. Removed it because it sucked. Did yours also come with an extra seat bolt. Mine did.
No extra seat bolt. Just the tool kit, with no helmet cable. I see that people don't seem to care too much for the helmet cable but it seems like an ok way to secure your helmet to the bike like while you're in the store or something. 

I was missing the cable and owners manual when I got mine, and they shipped it over and un-crated it at that dealership. They were no help, so I ended up calling Yamaha power sports and they mailed them to me a week later.
Cool, that's good to know. I'll give Yamaha a call too and see if they won't ship me a helmet cable. I know it's just a cheap little cable but I just want everything that I was supposed to get with the new bike when I bought it. 

That speedo wire is not to go over where the key goes? Geuss I'll change that around.??

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

But wouldn't someone just cut the strap on your helmet to steal it?
And that's why it's better to have a longer cable that can be run thru the eye port and then use a disk-lock to secure the cable. 2 birds, one stone.  
A 3/16" cable is more than enough to be a deterrence. If someone really wants it, they are gonna find a way. 

Archived