The MT-07 Forum

Winter Riding Prep?

The Truth

Guys since my bike will be likely coming in this month i was wondering what i should do, to ride safely and happily in winter. Obviously a warm jacket (rofl)

No, but one thing i have heard is lowering tire pressure for winter? So the tires have a bigger contact patch? 8-| I don't know. I seek advice from you seasoned experts. (Preferably Canadians, since i heard the winter is pretty bad there LOL)

Oh and i heard to uhhh avoid salt on roads after it snows, or can i just wash the bike off when i get home from the salt? Idk i just want to make sure my baby isn't suffering during these winter months acoming.

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

• Global Moderator

I gave up on winter riding. I put my bike to sleep and wake her up in the spring again.

Winters here are too harsh. Not only is it no fun at all to ride when it's -20C (-4F). Not being able to stay warm isn't even the biggest problem (although I saw -30F last winter ???) It is the amount of work to get ready for a ride too.

The bike would probably not survive all the salt, snow and wet stuff. Cars have limited vision which also is a problem. And One Wheel Drive is not a good idea. It is simply too dangerous. Of course there are good days when I wish I could go for a ride but weather in general is unreliable. 

They say cars come to Ontario to die and there is some truth in this. If you look at older vehicles here, the are mostly rusted out. Winter tires are a must and I don't think there are such tires for bikes.
Spraying it off and cleaning it would be a challenge in itself because the bike would simply freeze up. Not every winter is the same, but people here prep for such conditions. They park their lawnmowers and use snowblowers.
I use a 4WD winter vehicle and compensate my bike needs with a snowmobile, which is a blast too btw.

Well winters in Maryland generally are pretty unpredictable. But not that terribly bad i guess. Just cold sometimes. I plan on using the old CR-V for when it's snowing or raining hard, but if it's just gonna be a bit cold and not snow, i don't see a problem.

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

The FZ 07 isn't the best for cold weather.  Its not the worst but not the best.

You'll need a big tank bag.  In fall/winter/spring down here in the south you never know what the weather is going to be like, so you have to take a lot of stuff.  And, keeping a few of those chemical hand-warmers around is a good thing.  So a big bag is your first acquisition.

Full face helmet with chin skirt and a balaclava.
Cycle Gears' Freeze-out base layer is good for what it costs.
First Gear sells an insulated/water proof suit that does a pretty good job.
The best cold weather boots I've ever had are called Muck Boots. Tractor Supply carries them. They are birth control boots but they absolutely rock for cold weather riding boots.
Snowmobile gear is good stuff but pricey. I never could afford that stuff.
Some people like heated hand grips but I prefer hand-guards or a fairing, and two pairs of gloves: over-sized leather insulated gauntlets and Cycle Gear Freeze-out Glove liners.
Get knee pads. They'll keep the cold off the part of your body that catches a lot of wind.

I rode year-round on a sportster for years. Those things have no protection at all.

No need to air-down the tires or any of that if you can just take your car on slushy days.

-HowWorkClutch

Guest MXRider

As long as the roads are clear just get yourself some good cold weather riding gear and get out there. But when it's really bad out and the roads are salted you will want to take the car.

I'll ride in the bitter cold, but I won't ride when it's icy or snowy, or the roads are a mess.

TwistedTorque

Heated gloves work best for me. I have the warm and safe gloves which are rebranded by first gear. I will be running my wiring probably next month.
Full textile jacket with a liner and some fleeces keep the upper body warm.
Full textile overpants with a liner and some shorts usually keep the lower body warm.

That is about all I used last year.

As long as there is no snow/salt on the ground, I will ride.

What exactly does salt do to the bike?

Guest MXRider
What exactly does salt do to the bike?
Besides being corrosive, salt severely limits your traction on the road. It makes for a more dangerous ride.

Doesn't sound fun at all low-siding in freezing weather and getting salt all up in your road rash.... lmao guess this is what i signed up for

TwistedTorque

Salt can also destroy already terrible roads during the snow months which means more potholes to avoid. I'm more afraid of this than anything.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Salt is corrosive to metal. But it also does something that most people forget: it lowers the temperature of the ice it melts. Try tossing a container of salt in a cooler full of beer and ice sometime.

If you get salt on your riding gear and there's dampness, just add a 55mph wind and you'll be worse than miserable.

-HowWorkClutch

Salt is corrosive to metal. But it also does something that most people forget: it lowers the temperature of the ice it melts. Try tossing a container of salt in a cooler full of beer and ice sometime.  
If you get salt on your riding gear and there's dampness, just add a 55mph wind and you'll be worse than miserable.
Sounds fun... not lmao (puke) 

Archived