The MT-07 Forum

Shorty VS. Standard?? >>LEVERS!!!<<

thenakedONES

Just curious which length levers you fellow FZ owners are opting for? I am wanting to purchase a set of CRG RC2 levers and have wanted a set of shorty levers for quite some time without having any experience with them in the past. I recently read that the shorty lever on the clutch side may actually increase hand fatigue quicker than the standard length levers especially with our friction zones being so far out there on the clutch release. Also read that some riders are even mixing it up with a shorty brake lever (which I'm pretty sold on as I just about always pull my brake lever with 2 fingers or so) AND a standard length clutch lever which seems feasible if the comfort issue is in fact a real problem. OR... Just going with standard length levers for both so that they will match as the shorty levers don't make much difference anyhow? Just curious what your experiences have been with this so that I may make an informed decision with purchasing these over priced (IMO) levers... Thanks! :)

Mmhh... I have Pazzo shorty levers, as I like the aesthetics.

My left hand experienced more fatigue with the OEM lever than with the new one, as now I have the lever set to the closest distance to my grip.

On the right hand, I have the same setup - closest to the grip. That, together with the extra bent/curved design of the Pazzo lever makes me have my middle finger rest easier on the brake lever.

Overall, as you can read, I'm satisfied with the end result! I was worried too and had the same concerns, but it ended up much better than I thought!

Safe riding!

Longer lever does give more leverage but I couldn't adjust the stock levers close enough to avoid a pretty long reach. I'm happy with shorty both sides.

I like shorty's here both sides. Easier for my hands to grab, two finger brakes. 
Like said above, for me the shape of the lever helps as well, as the levers swoop towards the bar and is more ergo for me.

I have the crg shorties and I love them. When properly adjusted a two finger pull on the clutch engages just short of my other fingers with relative ease. If it's difficult at first you will strengthen your grip after a short time. I don't notice them being difficult at all.

booboobusfz07

Im probably going to get a long lever on my brake side, ill end up movimg the perch as far inboard as i can to take advantage of extra braking leverage.
Feel wise i prefer the shorty clutch an being in the bay i don't do stop an go.shorty clutch is definitely more comfortable for me

I run the CRG RC2 shorty on the brake side and it is much better than stock. You can use a 2 or 3 finger grip on it. 2 is plenty for me. On my clutch side I run a RSC full length which is 2 finger clutch but the only problem with the RSC is the perch doesn't have the mounting capabilities for the clutch switch so you have to either run the switch unplugged (which means the bike will only start in neutral) or you have to fab up a normally open switch (like a dirtbike kill switch) that you can push in to tell the ECU the clutch is disengaged so you can start the bike in gear. For me the advantages of the RSC out weigh a shorty lever and stock perch. Stock perch and shorty lever will result in a more difficult clutch pull. The RSC lever and perch has a different cable leverage ratio which actually makes the clutch pull much easier even with a shorter lever. I can honestly pull the clutch in with one finger if I wanted to. I would say it cut the pull pressure in half.

RSC sizes their levers differently. Shorty is 1 finger only, full length is 2 finger, and XL is a normal length lever somewhat close to stock.

You can read what I went through figuring out the RSC to work on this bike in this thread.
http://fz07.org/thread/6739/clutch-switch-aftermarket-perch-lever

I set my shorties on [HASH]6 and adjusted the clutch cable down by the engine so that the friction point isn't so far out and it isn't hard to pull in, it's easier than stock. Instead of just having fingertip control (that made my hands ache) I have total control and the friction point is closer to 'lever being halfway out'. With my clutch lever pulled all the way in it's disengaged and starts to engage almost immediately after I start to release it and my two fingers never get fatigued. Maybe those others you read about didn't set them up properly???

Beemer

Dissenting view, or at least a different perspective.

ASV C5 shorties here. They look cool and crash well (haha), but in hindsight I could have opted for longer levers. I can't compare them to the stock ones on the FZ bc mine came with the bike (I bought it used). But on my other bikes I've had long levers and now that I have one with a shorties I can say I prefer the long ones. Not a big deal, but even though I also generally use two or sometimes one finger to brake (and two to clutch) I do have a better overall feel with having a longer bar to get my hands on. Personal preference I suppose.

When I think of pro racers I can't think of one using shorties. Mind you, there is a LOT of racing out there I don't follow, so I don't claim authority on this one. But I haven't personally seen a race bike with anything but a longer lever, and I assumed it was for the same reason.

I use shorties for both, since I use two fingers for clutch and brake anyway. The standard size kept crushing my ring finger and pinky finger on my left hand, so the shorty there eliminates that. As for the brake, I only operate it with two fingers anyway so why use standard, plus it keeps them even

I like long levers but just because I don't like the least amount of distance before clutch is engaged an all the shorty's I've tried with that just hit my other fingers.

• Premium Member

Shorty here (the brake levers you sickos).
I like them a LOT more than stock. More adjustable, and I can two finger or three finger them with ease.

Why can't left turners see us?

Thank you all for the great replies! I learned a lot from your input and it seems the consensus is that shorties are preferred by most on our FZ bikes over the standard size levers... My CRG RC2 "shorty black" brake lever should be here any day and I can't wait to try it out as I already use 1 or 2 fingers on the front brake lever as it is... Once installed and had some ride time with the shorty on the brake side I will decide whether I want to stick with bilateral shorties or if I need that extra length on the clutch side. Living in southern CA, I sadly shift ALOT moving in and out of traffic so that longer lever may prove to be a better choice for me... But we shall see in time! :)

Thank you all for the great replies! I learned a lot from your input and it seems the consensus is that shorties are preferred by most on our FZ bikes over the standard size levers... My CRG RC2 "shorty black" lever should be here any day and I can't wait to try it out as I already use 1 or 2 fingers on the front brake lever as it is... Once installed and had some ride time with the shorty on the brake side I will decide whether I want to stick with bilateral shorties or if I need that extra length on the clutch side. Living in southern CA, I sadly shift ALOT moving in and out of traffic so that longer lever may prove to be a better choice for me... But we shall see in time! :)
It may take some time (not much) to adjust to using shorties (two fingers) but most that do appreciate how you can still use a couple fingers to keep a grip on the grip while shifting or braking. That 's another plus for shorties not mentioned. If you have any trouble with them let us know so we can help you adjust them, etc. GL! 

Beemer

It may some time (not much) to adjust to using shorties (two fingers) but most that do appreciate how you can still use a couple fingers to keep a grip on the grip while shifting or braking. That 's another plus for shorties not mentioned. If you have any trouble with them let us know so we can help you adjust them, etc. GL!
Much appreciated!! :)

I'm fine with the stock levers. I also use all fingers on both. That maybe why my front brake is fine to me.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member

I opted for AVDB MOTO from France which are length adjustable (I've a thread or two about these here). I found I like a shorty brake but a slightly longer clutch. These fit the bill for me. 

(Got the pic requester that wouldn't work when I posted this to function now... who knows?)

14986_2_Md.jpg

upload image

This is the first bike I had changed the levers out on. The short levers made a word of difference for me and seemed to smooth out the jerky issues I was having with the clutch. I just couldn't be smooth with it and had been riding for 10 years when I bought the 07.

SHORTIES WIN!!!

Thank you all for your input!!

The biggest reasons to go with shorties for both the brake & clutch levers that really appealed to me was #1: the fact that my other fingers not used to pull the clutch lever won't be crushed anymore with quick shifting while hanging on for dear life!! And #2: They simply look badass!! ??

Archived