The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 VS Rebel 500?

level41

Honda Rebel 500 is on the horizon. Supposedly hits the market around tax season (February 2017).

Different, yet very similar bike.

Rebel 500:
Cruiser style,
$1000 cheaper,
Hi-torque
Little better mpg.
Seating ergonomics probably worse (for longer rides)

Fz-07:
Naked style,
Hi-torque, Hi rev.

Similarities:
Weight,
Ptwin engine,
1 exhaust,
Nimbleness,

Probably more to say about the two, but if money is tight, the Rebel 500 makes sense.
If you got $1k more to spend, probably the Yammi would be a better bike?

Guest 2wheeler

The Rebel 500 looks like a hybrid between a FZ-07 and a Yamaha Bolt. Not a bad looking bike, but if you want to get something that looks sorta badass, and has such a limited use, it really should have a LOT more horsepower. Imagine a 400lb. version of that bike with a 800cc motor with 100hp....now that is a hooligan bike 8-)

Looks wise, I like it much better than my FZ, but is so not practical!

I would bet that it will sell really well though.

PS. I just did some digging on this bike. It has a curb weight of 408lbs with 6lbs more for optional ABS.

I think it's a nice looking bike that I personally would enjoy putting around on and enjoying the scenery but that's about it. The similarities you mentioned aren't enough to make them like twin bros. There's still lies the fact one is a slower, heavier, less exciting, non aggressive cruiser and the other is a sport that owns it.

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I test rode the Honda 500 naked when I was shopping around for a new bike.  The Honda is a nice, smooth, fuel sipping little bike, but for the extra few dollars it seemed like a no-brainer to get the FZ-07.  My main reason was roll on power: the little honda would need to be flogged to make reasonably quick passes at highway speeds.  With the FZ-07 all I have to do is roll on the throttle and I am by whatever I need to pass in the blink of an eye--no muss, no fuss--priceless.  ;)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

They are totally different kind of bikes to me. You'd have to ring the Rebel's neck to get any performance. On the 07 that comes so easily. The Rebel could be a replacement for my Kymco Venox 250, though.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

I mean, what are you looking for in a bike is the real question. We all have different wants/needs, so if either bike works for you...

I don't think they're that similar. I'd say the Honda CB500F is more similar to the FZ and it's the same price as the Rebel 500.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
Cannot get over this.  

Honda_Rebel_300_and_500_Launch_party_6.jpg

What idiot sits on his helmet?

Wait... we're not suppose to sit on them?

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I think it will sell like mad. Good for Honda. Back in the 80's, everyone had (has?) a rebel 250. Now with a 500 it will keep up with traffic.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Cannot get over this.  

IKR! You just know he's sitting there thinking, "I've been sitting here all day looking real cool and not one phone #!!" 

Beemer

• 2 months later...

So guys, today I'm officially one of us!
A guy was selling a practically new FZ for $4500. 2700 miles on it.
Bought it right away.
Meticulously maintained. Said he wanted a classic cruiser, and had his eyes on an 1800cc.

We shook good luck hands, and it's officially mine.

It will be replacing my Honda cbr300r.

My main reason for changing out the CBR was highway top speed. The CBR can do 100mph, but has almost no surpassing power above 80mph.
From the specs, the Rebel 500 would only have 5-10 mph better top speed, though more torque.
I wasn't looking for more power in the city, but on the hwy.

That, plus, I already own a cruiser bike, a rebel 250.

I wanted a different bike.

So now the 250 is my town bike, and the FZ my hwy bike.

It really was a call between the FZ and the Kawasaki Z650, but due to the low second hand sales price, the FZ was the obvious choice.

Great bike. Can do 30-35 mph in 6th gear, but I'm going to try to change the rear sprocket by 10% less tooth, as I have way too much torque in 1st to 3rd. I'm comfortable with 4th to 6th acceleration. Also, I'd like to get better fuel economy on the hwy by revving lower.

Great bike, love it!
Glad I went with the FZ.

Guest 2wheeler

Great bike. Can do 30-35 mph in 6th gear, but I'm going to try to change the rear sprocket by 10% less tooth, as I have way too much torque in 1st to 3rd. I'm comfortable with 4th to 6th acceleration. Also, I'd like to get better fuel economy on the hwy by revving lower.

My $0.02 worth.... save your money on changing the gearing, and get a 2WDW flash. That will dramatically address your concerns with regard to 1st-3rd gear torque. The torque will be there and then some, but it will be smoother and more spread out. If you still feel it's too much, then do your gearing.  
The flash is worth every penny!

Cannot get over this.  

Wait... we're not suppose to sit on them?
I think he meant : "What idiot shits on his helmet?". I mean a helmet like that upside down, kinda looks like a potty, and begs to be shitted in!

I would advise against that too. At least get to know the standard gearing for a while and then make a more informed choice. 
It won't take long to get used to the extra power, just remember that your wrist is in control of it.

I would advise against that too. At least get to know the standard gearing for a while and then make a more informed choice. 
It won't take long to get used to the extra power, just remember that your wrist is in control of it.

It's been two days, and I got more comfortable with the power. I still don't like it.
I mean, what some people find fun, I find dangerous.
It's not that the bike is accelerating fast. It's that I would be accelerating it fast if I could, and while doing so, not notice an accident about to happen.
I guess it's my own fear, of me controlling the acceleration in a bad way.
I'd rather not be able to pull my bike in the powerband in 1st or 2nd gear, than do it by accident.

I bought the FZ as a commuter, not as a racing/hooligan bike.
I have a trackrecord of zero accidents my entire life. Want to keep it that way, so the purchase of the FZ was not a light one to take, as it far surpasses my comfort levels of the 30-40HP I'm used to.

It's got 2x the Horsepower of my CBR300R, and 3-4x the torque in the lower revs, so taking 10% off the torque isn't going to hurt it one bit compared to what I'm used to.

Not only the high torque bothers me in the lower gears (1st, 2nd gear all feel like I'm about to wheelie by accident, or slip and fall; which the traction is ok when it's dry, but I don't want to try in wet conditions), but also I need to shift too fast.
Like said, it's from a commuter's perspective.

I'm also used to rather longer gears.
Those 6 gears to me feel like 3 or 4 normal gears.

Another,
I am not too ecstatic about the rather low MPG figures (yes great for a 700cc, but still, pretty close to my car MPG).

And I like it revving lower on the freeway. I mean, it looks like the bike would pull 80MPH just fine at 3.5k RPM instead of 5.5k rpm. So why run it at 5.5k?
It only uses more fuel, wears out the engine more, and makes more noise/vibrations (..although I'd have to say the FZ has a pretty well balanced engine).

For reference, my 250cc can do up to 120 MPG, with 66MPG all out (80-85MPH), 80MPG city (up to 50MPH), and a regular 100MPG combined (40-60MPH).
That one revs at 3k RPM at 40MPH, which is almost the same gearing as this 700cc.

My CBR300R did 80MPG avg, not peak.

All has to do with final gear acceleration.
I basically want almost no acceleration in final gear (final gear being a cruising gear, rather than a gear to surpass on the interstates).
If I want to surpass on the interstates, I'll shift to 5th, or 4th, and have the needle hit 6-7k rpm.
I do it with all my bikes, and feel most comfortable with it this way.

Already purchased the 17t front sprocket for the FZ, as well as a windshield, because I'll be riding it on the freeway most of the time.
I figured it's too brisk to do city riding on.
That's where my 250 comes into play; which accelerates quite nicely in town, and yet keeps good MPGs.
Without windshield, it does get pretty windy above 75MPH.

If it works out better with a 17t front sprocket, I'll later will additionally swap out the rear with a 41t (11% change).

• Premium Member

To me the gearing is fine in stock form...1st and 2nd are to identical for me at shift point, maybe 3-4mph faster in 2nd gear.. so i start in 2nd gear which lets me skip the pointless 1st gear...shifting is at 8k rpms for me, the torque curve on these FZ-07 is long...i save 6th gear for highway 98% of the time...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I hate to say it, but you bought the wrong bike my friend. It looks like your trying to make this bike something it will never be. My advise would be two fold. Either learn to ride it (throttle control, clutch feathering, discipline, etc. are very real concepts with the 07), or sell it, make ~500$ (you did get a great deal), and buy a bike that is more your speed.

1) I'd rather not be able to pull my bike in the powerband in 1st or 2nd gear, than do it by accident. 
2) I bought the FZ as a commuter...

3) ...so taking 10% off the torque isn't going to hurt it one bit compared to what I'm used to.

4) ...but also I need to shift too fast.

5) ...Like said, it's from a commuter's perspective.

6) Those 6 gears to me feel like 3 or 4 normal gears.

7) I am not too ecstatic about the rather low MPG figures...

...And I like it revving lower on the freeway.

...For reference, my 250cc can do up to 120 MPG, with 66MPG all out (80-85MPH), 80MPG city (up to 50MPH), and a regular 100MPG combined (40-60MPH).
That one revs at 3k RPM at 40MPH, which is almost the same gearing as this 700cc.

8) I basically want almost no acceleration in final gear (final gear being a cruising gear, rather than a gear to surpass on the interstates).

9) ...as well as a windshield, because I'll be riding it on the freeway most of the time.

10) I figured it's too brisk to do city riding on.

11) If it works out better with a 17t front sprocket, I'll later will additionally swap out the rear with a 41t (11% change).

1) Again, learn to ride the bike. Throttle control, clutch control/feathering, discipline. +1000 
2) That's actually one of the main strong suits of the bike, all be it in a more urban environment.

3) No, it will not, but why? See [HASH]1

4) No you don't. That is, unless all you're chasing is MPG. Sounds like your looking to stay as far away from the powerband as possible. Thus, you need a different bike.

5) See [HASH]2

6) I guess, if you don't take each gear through its powerband. Just so you know, fifth gear is capable of over 100 mph.

7) Nothing you do will make this bike get anywhere near those MPG numbers of a 250. Even if you neutered it enough to get the revs low enough to cruise at 80 mph in eco mode, you still would only get around 50 MPG.

8) This, I assume, is to lower revs and raise MPG? See [HASH]7

9) You bought an unfaired, 400 lbs bike for the freeway? That windshield isn't going to do much. Depending how long your commute is, it may not be a big deal but I have to take a break every hour or so doing 80+ when going on trips.

10) What? I think you need to see [HASH]1. And then, [HASH]2.

11) See [HASH]7

I realize I'm probably coming off as a little dickish but I'm really not trying to be. I am genuinely telling you, from what you have stated you are looking for, that you will be much happier on a different bike. I don't know if that rebel 500 would be any better on the freeway but from a power perspective, it would have been more what you're looking for. Since you say you want a more sport styled bike rather than a cruiser, and plan to use it on the freeway, I second motomeek's sentiment. You should definitely look at the cb500f or cbr500r (again, no unfaired, <400 lbs bike is going to work very well for strictly highway duty)

Not my place to say, as I am not a mod or anyone of power here. But @level41 has been here for some time, is just now starting to ride a bike that (s)he has obviously had an interest in for awhile. Is contemplating changes, and mentioned them for us to kick around. Level41 is looking at doing something different, the fz may not excel at does not mean the fz07 is not capable of.  Both sides of the discussion have good information and reason for caution with a bit of opinion thrown in, let us see how level41's mods go.  We all bought this bike for a reason, and would wager the majority have made mods of their liking.  

This forum is different and rises above all others I have been a part of because there is no toxicity among us members. We are all here for the passion of motorcycles, specifically the FZ07.  I would hate to see this become a I have to get the last word in I am right battle.

I always appreciate people getting along and being respectful of each other's opinions.

But at the same time, this is the FZ-07 forum and I like FZ-07 homers. I also don't see the need to defend the FZ-07 against a Honda 500. Suggesting such on the FZ-07 forum will result in FZ-07 owners slamming the Honda 500, because we love the FZ-07.
If you don't like the FZ-07, turn get the little Honda or even a Grom and report back in a few months. No bad blood, but don't expect many members of an FZ07 forum to respond in favor of buying a Honda 500.

I can't agree more with the previous post, I think you bought a wrong bike. Honda CB500F or CBR500R will suit your need because they're are quite tame, more fuel efficient and super predictable. When comes to power, that 479cc Honda engine is really nothing to write home about. I had 2014 CB500F and I sold it after 6 months simply because I hated how bike performed on a highway. The torque is substantially weaker compared to FZ07 therefore surpassing cars on interstate/highway requires constant downshifting/rev matching. Gears on CB500F are very short and way close together ... on FZ07 you can reach highway speed in 2nd gear while on Honda you will be either in 4th or likely 5th gear.

Guest 2wheeler

I love my FZ, but I actually completely understand the early-on surprise about the power delivery. I have an extensive 2-stroke dirt bike experience, but the first 500 miles of the FZ were a little unnerving to say the least. In many ways I felt that it was a wreck waiting to happen too with the jerky throttle and the engine braking being the likely culprits.

Overall, the bike is way to cool to lose money on, and kick yourself in the butt for not keeping it. As you already have the sprocket, install it and see what you think. I will default to my earlier post and STRONGLY suggest the 2WDW flash which in combination with the sprocket change, you will have a MUCH more manageable bike to ride.

• Premium Member
It's been two days, and I got more comfortable with the power. I still don't like it.[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]

JMHO, but... Two days? Really?  Put some real miles on it before you freak out, and learn why every motorcycle magazine in the world rates the FZ-07 - with stock gearing - one of the funnest middle weight motorcycles ever!  You WILL learn the throttle control, and you will be glad you have the throttle response when you need it.  Also, I'm getting over 60mpg on the freeway, and I'm not babying it, over 50 all the time.  That's fine by my standards.

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived