The MT-07 Forum

FJ-09

bigdaddybane

Anyone here that rides FJ-09? I'm seriously considering buying this bike in the spring cause I need something for long trips next year. Any feedback/recommendation?  

Guest 2wheeler

FWIW, zombiphone has about 40,000 miles on her FZ-07 and has hit at least 30 states.

I'm planning to hit 24 states this Spring on my FZ-07.

• Global Moderator
Anyone here that rides FJ-09? I'm seriously considering buying this bike in the spring cause I need something for long trips next year. Any feedback/recommendation?  
Check out our sister forum here.   They should be able to give you some good information. 

• Premium Member

I own both the FZ-07 and FJ-09...

I was gonna get the FZ-09 but the FJ fixed all the flaws of the FZ..
Stock FJ suspension is like having Ohlins or some other top brand suspension on your FZ-07
My FZ has gone to far into the racing side then to utilize it for long distance rides
If I had to do it all over again I would get the FJ-09
A simple rain shower leaves me with soaking wet gear while the FJ will keep me dry in same rain shower
The FJ Is no slouch in any dept but I think the FJ Is a tad more nimble than the FZ

I can answer more specific questions than a vague question like " any recommendations or feedback" 

I feel my set up on the FZ is like having A-10 airplane, it can play in urban traffic/roads all day but the FJ Is like having a F-22, sure it can dabble in the urban environment just fine but it prefers to chase down them silly crotch rockets on the track or doing long range trips...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Sorry, I don't own one, but I'd love to add it as a stable mate to my FZ-07. I think it would be great for longer distances.
I've also considered the Honda Interceptor for the same purpose. It makes a great sport tourer - heavy on the sport.

Why can't left turners see us?

They are both awesome bikes. If you are just cruising around town and having fun, then the FZ-07 is perfect. If you are doing any touring or want to go faster, then the FJ-09 fits the bill.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm definitely planning to keep FZ07 but I thought FJ might be a bit better for 2 up on those longer trips. Have you ridden with passenger on your FJ? 

• Premium Member

Plenty of FJ users ride 2up... the platform of the FJ was geared towards long distance and 2up compared to the FZ which is the bare minimum needed to ride...I do see good deals on used FJ-09 2-3 times a month of the forum, they are a steal if you act quick enough...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

fooschnickens

I'm heavily considering the FJ. Found a couple used ones around here for way less than I thought, I could pay for them mostly in cash for what I'd get for the FZ!

The FJ-09 gives ya the power of the FZ-09, with slightly better suspension, luggage and heated grips and a windshield. Let @2wheeldynoworks flash the ecu and then it is a freaking rocket from 0-100 mph. Seriously very fast from 0-100 mph. Very nimble in town too.

For the money, one of the best do it all bikes ever made. But, Im pretty biased towards triples. The low end grunt is just so addictive. By the time those 600 supersports rev up into their powerband, the FJ-09 is already freaking gone down the road. Pisses the R-6 guys off something fierce. But they pass ya after 100 MPH. But really, how often do we ride over 100/120 mph?

I like the bike that is fast in actual daily scenarios, on city streets, and that also handles like it's on rails in the twisties. Thats what ya get with the FJ-09 and you can toss spare clothes in the side luggage on Friday afternoon and go on a 900 mile ride, spur of the moment, and be comfortable. And then ride that same bike to work on Monday, zipping between cars with ease.

Visit our FJ-09 forum and say hello to the boys. We also have a large amount of people from England and Aus on there too.

I've also considered the Honda Interceptor for the same purpose. It makes a great sport tourer - heavy on the sport.
and even heavier on the 'heavy'! 
I've ridden the FJ for about 50 miles (customer bikes in for suspension work) and I would definitely NOT equate the FJ's OE suspension as being any more than 'ok'. It's a damn sight better than the FZ09's abomination but that's an easy comparison to win. The '09 have a less refined transmission it would seem.

But come on over to the sister site and read to your heart's content.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

The stock FJ-09 suspension is like putting Ohlins on the FZ-07...

• Premium Member

I dunno about inseam...my pant length is 32

Yes it runs premium gas, I got 91 or 93 here in Michigan, depends on which gas station you stop at, about 80% of the time I get 93...

Archived