The MT-07 Forum

R1 front suspension swap

paolojac

Ha I considered it, I know it's probably way better than how I did it but I figured for one bike I'll do it my way. It is just math after all. Lol

Darn auto correction it was supposed to say ya not ha don't want people getting all hot under the collar

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
10 hours ago, i28 said:

wow... that's an interesting place to mount the rear shock reservoir.

and a bit in harm's way w/just a tip-over

On 12/18/2017 at 4:29 AM, rick said:

and a bit in harm's way w/just a tip-over

Gosh Wally... Things were just getting interesting, thanks for scaring him away! ;P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's the finished product a few finishing touches like some carbon fibre parts I'll be making.

I'll post a few more pick if I can actually figure out how. It just doesn't seem to be working.

20180517_201907.jpg

So answering questions from previous posts.

First off sorry for no updates in quite some time.

Yes the garage is tight very tight.

I've got another project in the works with another r1 fork swap. 

The rear shock reservoir I know it's not ideal.

I spoke to hyperpro because I attempted to mount it on the left side rear but the hose for the reservoir was too short.

They said they designed to go where I mounted it. 

I doubt that very much but hey it works where it is. 

I do need to figure out a way to mount a steering damper. 

All current ones made for the fz07 will not work anymore.

I just find bikes more stable with them. Don't want to start a debate. But that's just me, and it may all be in my head.

I may end up re - making the bracket for the gauge cluster. It should allow me to mount a steering damper in the original way with just minor tweaks. But that will likely be in the off season. I should be getting the dyno done in the next two weeks I'll post some numbers when I get them.

The shock reservoir.

Will it reach to the tray under the black sidecover. You can get a bit more air flow by modding the inside of the little screen area ( I did). If you have ABS it may not fit though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Hmm explain a little more I'm a little confused about where you're referring to 

Just moved my shock reservoir as per Rick good call for saying it's in harms way.

20180529_180914.jpg

• 8 months later...

I don't know much about suspension, so this may be a dumb question. Why did you need to use the R1 lower triple with the fz09 stem? I figured the fz09 lower triple + stem work,  seems easier than pressing in a new stem.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, xCaldazar said:

I don't know much about suspension, so this may be a dumb question. Why did you need to use the R1 lower triple with the fz09 stem? I figured the fz09 lower triple + stem work,  seems easier than pressing in a new stem.

paolojac

50 posts

Posted December 29, 2016

Oh ya the reason for the 04-06 r1 lower triple instead of using the 2010 r1 lower that I had was due to the offset.

2010 has a 25mm offset where as the 04-06 has a 30mm offset which is the same as the fz09.

Cheers

@xCaldazar

Archived