The MT-07 Forum

R1 front suspension swap

paolojac

To all who may be interested in working on a 2010 r1 front end swap on my 2016 fz07 with 2500km on it.

I'll post some updates with progress and parts used/made for this swap.

• Global Moderator

I am looking forward to watching this thread. It sounds like an interesting project.

So heres a little background and starting point.

Brand new 2016 fz07... then it starts

Yoshimura fender eliminator
Rizoma led markers
Akrapovic titanium exhaust
Woodcraft 1' clip ons
Oem yamaha short windscreen
Woodcraft rearsets
Powercommander v
Autotune
Chinese knock-off steering damper (to see if it works with the clip ons)... it does
Hyperpro rear shock fully adjustable with hi/lo
Rear footpeg removal
Color matched seat cowl
Racetech fork Springs
Hordpower airbox

That's what's been done.

Here's what's going to happen...

R1 forks
Hopefully retain fz07 wheels
Bike dyno
Ap motoarts rear ride height link
Ap motoarts r6 rear wheel conversion ( if I can't retain original wheels)
Powdercoated wheels if above has to happen
Gsxr master cylinder with braided lines (this was purchased before but never installed, it will now)

I'm working out the geometry right now and sourcing the parts I'll need (at least I think I'll need)

This will be a street bike with the odd track day.

I know I know probably overboard with the r1 but it's what was available for me.

R1 forks Hopefully retain fz07 wheels
Bike dyno

So new Triples and custom spindle? There are 'to-inch' wheel bearings that a good bearing house can source that may allow you to run the R1 axle but it's a pretty long shot, I think.

You'll probably need rotor spacers and/or caliper relocating brackets.

R1 forks are pretty darn short compared to FZ07 so I doubt you'll need any more height in the rear. I would work out rake and trail numbers sooner rather than later.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

My calculations with the use of Autocad and some math make my new rake angle at 23.61 deg and a trail of 3.87 in

Your probably right that's why I'll be getting the forks in first and see where I stand

Calm and methodical approach

If I have to make any portion than I will.

Cheers I'll keep everyone posted

I have been using my local shops FZ07R as a reference as he put r6 forks as a straight bolt up with a different upper bearing and the rear ride height link

You should check out this chassis software.  www.suspact-na.com
bloody hell! I could see $100-150 for the software but more like $30-50 for each bike file. If there is a GMD Computrack near you, I would darken their door.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I agree if you have a reasonably priced start point and reasonable price for each bike after it would be a good solution.

That kind of money for a month or two ( and probably only of a few hours use ) I can't see paying that much.

Now if it was a track bike that would be different

• 3 weeks later...

So here's where I stand right now.

04-06 r1 lower triple with fz09 upper and stem of fz09 pressed into r1 lower.

All steering bearings stay the same.

In my attempt to keep my original wheels. It has been very slow going I need 20x40x12 wheel bearings that seem to be non existent.

My option now include taking a total of 2mm off the r1 axle (as I can get an 18x40x12) or I keep the r1 wheels and get them powder coated.

I will also likely be getting a 1(+/-) spacer made to allow to reuse my woodcraft clip-ons.

There's not enough space from what I can tell to mount traditional style r1 clip-ons. It will likely hit the fairings.

Steering stops from r1 lower works perfect.

Headlight and turn signal mounting will likely be done with original lower bracket and a couple of custom bent ones to allow me to use factory fz09 upper mounting location.

More to come...

If anyone has ideas let me know.

This will no way be the the cheapest way of doing it. I'm already in the 2000$ range and I'm not done.

But hopefully I'll find what not to do for future people.

In retrospect r6 front end would have saved some time and money. But couldn't locate one.

Oh well nothing to do but move forward with the project.

Oh ya the reason for the 04-06 r1 lower triple instead of using the 2010 r1 lower that I had was due to the offset.

2010 has a 25mm offset where as the 04-06 has a 30mm offset which is the same as the fz09.

Cheers

In my attempt to keep my original wheels. It has been very slow going I need 20x40x12 wheel bearings that seem to be non existent.

Neato that the FZ09 stem and bearings are directly compatible. What was the relative length of the R1 vs FZ07 forks? With the 30mm offset what does that do to rake/trail numbers?

Simple solution, slap your FZ07 wheel onto a mill table and bore the bearing pocket to 42mm. Child's play if the shop has a nice, big, gap-bed lathe. If they charge you more than $50 a side you're getting ripped off IMO.

Then just get some 6004-2RS bearings which are exceedingly common.

Alternatively have them machine a custom axle with R1 ends and diameter to fit the FZ07 bearings (18mm, really? sure it's not 17?) But that'll probably cost ~200.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I'll get you that length when I get a chance to measure.
I thought about doing that nothing whole lot of meat left after.

Well the other thing to do is use 6904 bearings (37,20,9) and make pocket spacers and wider axle spacers. I'm not sure I like the load rating though.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

So I've changed slightly how I'm doing the bars.
I purchased a set of 4" rise adjustable clip ons from apex manufacturing.
It will make it easier to mount up the bars and more adjustable for riding style.

So I'll have some woodcraft clip ons for sale...lol
Fz09 stem has been pressed into r1 lower.
It's now fully mounted up and good.

Going to work on some brackets for the headlight as well as for the speedo.

Thinking I may just use the r1 rims for ease of replacement parts.
If I go the route of using my existing rims replacement parts will be tougher to get.

• 4 weeks later...

The project is going well working on headlight mounting and Guage cluster ...been slowed down a bit with 16 stitches in my hand though lol
Unrelated to the build

• 4 months later...

Pics or it never happened

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

It happened just haven't taken it to get dyno done yet been too busy with work ill snap a few pics tonight no time to do last few things

bbsteinnewyork
So heres a little background and starting point. 
Brand new 2016 fz07... then it starts

Yoshimura fender eliminator
Rizoma led markers
Akrapovic titanium exhaust
Woodcraft 1' clip ons
Oem yamaha short windscreen
Woodcraft rearsets
Powercommander v
Autotune
Chinese knock-off steering damper (to see if it works with the clip ons)... it does
Hyperpro rear shock fully adjustable with hi/lo
Rear footpeg removal
Color matched seat cowl
Racetech fork Springs
Hordpower airbox

That's what's been done.

Here's what's going to happen...

R1 forks
Hopefully retain fz07 wheels
Bike dyno
Ap motoarts r6 rear wheel conversion ( if I can't retain original wheels)
Powdercoated wheels if above has to happen
Gsxr master cylinder with braided lines (this was purchased before but never installed, it will now)

I'm working out the geometry right now and sourcing the parts I'll need (at least I think I'll need)

This will be a street bike with the odd track day.

I know I know probably overboard with the r1 but it's what was available for me.
Yep sounds like you've got all the junk on it!?

bbsteinnewyork
My calculations with the use of Autocad and some math make my new rake angle at 23.61 deg and a trail of 3.87 in 
Your probably right that's why I'll be getting the forks in first and see where I stand

Calm and methodical approach

If I have to make any portion than I will.

Cheers I'll keep everyone posted
Try this software call Suspact. Www.suspact-na.com I see they have a file for Fz07

Archived