The MT-07 Forum

KTM Duke 790 Wow!

rowdy

I don't trust painted surfaces. I would be scared to lean hard going that fast across that yellow paint. 😬

To get back on track, the bike looks wild and wooly. 

Beemer

14litre fuel tank is even stupider than a 14 litre tank on ours. The fuel economy will be worse , especially considering the type of person that will buy this bike.

Chalk another one up to the Eurocentric " we have fuel ststions everywhere". If you are an Aussie and buy this bike except for city work you are wasting you time. Most of it will be spent filling up.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

intensity_white
3 hours ago, Cruizin said:

KTM gets a bad rap on their reliability. I have never had an issue with any of my KTM's. 

The reason I own an MT07 instead of a Duke 690 is the many reports of fuel leaking due to the plastic tank warping at the gas cap area.  No idea if I would have the problem if I had purchased one, but there were enough people having the problem online to put me right off.

3 hours ago, intensity_white said:

The reason I own an MT07 instead of a Duke 690 is the many reports of fuel leaking due to the plastic tank warping at the gas cap area.  No idea if I would have the problem if I had purchased one, but there were enough people having the problem online to put me right off.

Never heard of that, but tons of stories around about damaged valve rockers. 

7 hours ago, Cruizin said:

KTM gets a bad rap on their reliability. I have never had an issue with any of my KTM's. 

I cannot say my cousin hasn't had any issues with his 950 SE, but considering the abuse it takes and its age, it is nothing out of the ordinary and other than the fuel pump malady, several niggling little things have been down to mods he's made, not how it came from the factory.

highstrung racing motors take careful and frequent maint. Until recently KTMs were all racing engines. I think they made a mistake by pretending they could be treated (abused) as street machines and didn't design it accordingly. The 2008+ machines are likely better for street use and have benefited from lots more money being invested and a change in design targets.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

chademinent
On 12/17/2016 at 3:23 AM, sorkyah said:

Im curious why noone seemsto be comparing it to the fz07.... all reviews and comments seem to comlare it to the street triple and fz09

I like the look though... just swap the orange with black and call it good

They compare it to those bikes because that is the class the 790 is in.  Way more power than the 07, better suspension, traction control and ABS and more cc means it will never compare to an 07.  Don't get me wrong, I love my bike but it is a bargain basement bike compared to the KTM

intensity_white
8 hours ago, faffi said:

Never heard of that, but tons of stories around about damaged valve rockers. 

There was a global recall for the problem in February 2018, right around the time I was comparison shopping for the MT07.

"Due to tolerance variations, the system comprising the fuel tank, fuel tank filler neck and fuel tank filler neck gasket may leak and fuel may escape. A new fuel tank filler neck with modified gasket that is leak tight has therefore been developed. The gasket of the fuel level sensor was modified as part of this, and must be replaced as well."

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/ktm-recalls-690-duke-and-690-duke-r-globally-for-fuel-leak-issues-1814407

That would've been OK for me, but many owners have reported that the engineering fix, a larger gasket, wasn't fixing the problem, and that a new, unwarped gas tank was needed.  When I saw that the 2018s rolled out with the same underwhelming "fix" (an oversized gasket,) I decided to pass.  

https://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/87226-2016-duke-warped-fuel-tank-top-leaks-when-sloshed-26.html

This is a mistake I just can't see Yamaha making:

IMG_20170313_191821.thumb.jpg.8392fef1b10a33e06a0c7eea5f3b8926.jpgfile-2.thumb.jpg.3808075cc052bf2a471078613ed87a6f.jpg

But if you go back some decades, Yamaha did little else but make mistakes, with plenty of engine problems in particular. But they learned and became consistently better by paying attention to details. KTM seems to follow a similar path, with their products gaining quality by the year. 

Our 07 bike had a recall for the battery wiring. I had already changed it anyway before I even saw the recall. Sally's 690 duke ( 2014) never missed a beat in 5 years ( it did have way worse fueling than the 07 though).

intensity_white

I hope KTM gains more quality, as I would enjoy buying their products from them in the future.  But the problem with the 690 Duke isn't a theoretical piece of mind type thing; it's hot fuel sprayed at the rider.  And it was ongoing when I picked up my MT earlier this year.

8 hours ago, intensity_white said:

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/ktm-recalls-690-duke-and-690-duke-r-globally-for-fuel-leak-issues-1814407

That would've been OK for me, but many owners have reported that the engineering fix, a larger gasket, wasn't fixing the problem,

Wow, KTM engineering was this stupid?!?! My Aprilias from 2002 had these spun plastic tanks as did the Ducatis and both companies had this problem across the board. I can't believe KTM was so stupid as to step into the same landmine when it had already been experienced a decade previous.

and yes the Ducati solution was bigger cross-section diameter on the gasket in X-ring config. Aprilia said buy a new tank. As if!

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Dirtbikes have been using plastic tanks for years with not a lot of problems in an environment where the fuel is chucked around much more than on the road. This is bad engineering and should be fixed.

Sally's tank had NEVER leaked. I suspect a bad batch of tanks or fittings.

BTW those two fuel cap fittings are NOT the same. Check out the webbing on top

• 2 weeks later...

Checked a 790 out at a dealer yesterday. Nice bike, though you can tell it's built to a price (just like the 07).

Here in Australia, the 790's sticker price was around 60% greater than an MT07. That's a significant difference.

topazsparrow
2 hours ago, stickshift said:

Checked a 790 out at a dealer yesterday. Nice bike, though you can tell it's built to a price (just like the 07).

Here in Australia, the 790's sticker price was around 60% greater than an MT07. That's a significant difference.

I suspect it puts it inline with the MT-09... which by a lot of accounts is more bike for the money.

Still, having jumped through the gauntlet of trying to get a decent suspension set up on my FZ07, there's certainly something to the idea of having a bike with GOOD suspension out of the box - which is something the 07 and 09 are dearly lacking.

4 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

there's certainly something to the idea of having a bike with GOOD suspension out of the box

yeah. the FJ09-GT is a very limp-wristed effort on that front. What galls me is that all the correct parts are right there on the Showa/KYB inventory shelf. It's just that the engineer and test riders must have their collective heads up their unowhat's. Triumph and Buell used the self-same parts and got very good results off the showroom floor.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 4 months later...

I reckon they will get sorted soon. Perhaps... Remember Honda's VF series? Never got properly sorted, although many still exist 35 years on.

Archived