The MT-07 Forum

KTM Duke 790 Wow!

rowdy

• Premium Member
I like it, but it reminds me more of a supermoto more than a streetbike for some reason. 

- Paulie
It looks like it has a more supermoto seating position and that's the way he was riding it in the demo. Definitely a little more hooligan than the FZ-07, and might be a little less comfortable for distance, but it sure looks fun! 

Why can't left turners see us?

Looks cool but where am I supposed to put clip my hat onto? That is a deal breaker.

don't worry there will be a woodcraft hat clip in the future

• Premium Member
Looks cool but where am I supposed to put clip my hat onto? That is a deal breaker.
don't worry there will be a woodcraft hat clip in the future
If they don't make one, Gilles will. :) 

• Global Moderator

Im curious why noone seemsto be comparing it to the fz07.... all reviews and comments seem to comlare it to the street triple and fz09

I like the look though... just swap the orange with black and call it good

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Super hot looking bike and would love to ride one but my FZ-07 is enough to bring out the hooligan in me and that's all I need to get into trouble. If I had Jay Leno's money I would probably have a ton/tons of bikes like he does, including that bike.

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...

I think it looks fantastic. If it isn't priced to the moon it would be a good replacement for someone looking for something similar to the fz07 but with more umph and a better sorted set of suspenders. I am glad they added another cylinder, the single was kind of holding me back from picking up a duke.

sorry not my cup of tea.
then again I'm old school,I like bikes to look like a.bike.

but I'll leave it at that,dont want to cause any offence,everybody have different taste.
my eldest is not keen on my current bike tracer 700,he like sport bikes( but can't ride one..thankfully)

• Premium Member
sorry not my cup of tea. then again I'm old school,I like bikes to look like a.bike.

but I'll leave it at that,dont want to cause any offence,everybody have different taste.
my eldest is not keen on my current bike tracer 700,he like sport bikes( but can't ride one..thankfully)
No offense taken.  Different strokes for different folks. Two wheeled fun comes is sizes and shapes for almost anyone. :) 

• 1 year later...
37 minutes ago, faffi said:

I don't scare easily.  Irish Road Racing almost scares me but this stuff, MOG!  I think I'll just power slide a full throttle crossed up slideways wheelie at the edge of the planet in 5th gear 12,000+ feet over an abyss while looking into the sun while gravity waits patiently to claim my corpse. Im in a cold sweat, Egad  

about 20 pounds lighter than the FZ 07 and 20 more HP! Upsidedown forks and it comes in black! I wouild trade up from my FZ but no no  for the 20-30% tariff from President f@#ktard! Wait for a used one to come... 😞

Got my eyes on this as my next bike.  It's like a super premium FZ07.  Naked, parallel twin with more power and less weight, traction control, power modes, slipper clutch, quickshifter and auto blipper, TFT display, the list goes on...

USD forks are cool but they definitely cut their costs in the suspension department like Yamaha.  Only adjustments being the preload for the rear shock.  Could be good out of the box though.  Chris Fillmore apparently just needed different spring rates for his record run up Pikes Peak.

Just don't have a lot of trust with KTMs reliability and this is their first parallel twin.  Gonna wait a year or two and see what the verdict is.  Digging the bike so far though.

Great power to weight, typical KTM. Step up from the 7.

But,

there's always a but. Lol.

If they could match it in price or ball park instead of the typical huge premium.

And reliability.....

The real deciding criteria.

10 hours ago, mossrider said:

I don't scare easily.  Irish Road Racing almost scares me but this stuff, MOG!  I think I'll just power slide a full throttle crossed up slideways wheelie at the edge of the planet in 5th gear 12,000+ feet over an abyss while looking into the sun while gravity waits patiently to claim my corpse. Im in a cold sweat, Egad  

Meh, road my Spitfire just like that on Pike's peak last year.

🤪Downhill.

Then I woke up when I needed to pee...

Actually I did do PP last year, but more like coasted downhill with the ignition off. The adrenaline rush excitement while making 94.2 mpg at 100+ mph! guesstimate of course. 😉

FYI. They stop cars half way down to test your brakes with a thermal temperature scanner. Then pull you over, if your brakes are overheated, for a cool down period. Motorcycles they don't even bother and wave right through.

topazsparrow
22 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

Great power to weight, typical KTM. Step up from the 7.

But,

there's always a but. Lol.

If they could match it in price or ball park instead of the typical huge premium.

And reliability.....

The real deciding criteria.

The price point is higher than an MT-09.

Not a tough choice unless you need a lower displacement twin for something like.. oh.. I don't know, the new middleweight twin racing bracket that's coming out in 2019.

I really want to try one back to back with an 09.. or even a mt10 at that price point.

I doubt an MT-09 could keep up with the 790 Duke on a winding road; the handling of the Duke should be way superior even to the SP-version of the 09.

• Premium Member

budget bike vs entry lvl race bike...

an MT-09( 843cc triple) easily puts down 120whp at 420(?)# and speeds of well above double the national speed limit... 

some decent suspension and a tune the MT-09 will give the overpriced KTMs, Triumphs, Ducs a run for they money... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

7 hours ago, norcal616 said:

some decent suspension and a tune the MT-09 will give the overpriced KTMs, Triumphs, Ducs a run for they money... 

it's always about the suspension.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived