The MT-07 Forum

Thinking of adding a dual sport to my stable

reboot

So I have been a street rider from day one (about 8 years I've been riding) and been thinking about getting a dual sport to my line up.

Other than pissing around on a pit bike and going up grassy hills on my ninja no real dirt experience. Would like to find something that is ok for 1 up on the freeway but not too big as I still want to be able to be nimble off road.

Basically want something I could ride to work with and hit the trails on the way home.

• Premium Member

Dually's are great. But since I don't own one myself, I'll let others give more substantial input.

I've definitely danced around with the idea of getting one. But if you're going to be doing a lot of highway riding, it could be a little on the "light" side - You'll definitely feel the wind knocking you around... But if that doesn't bother you - Go for it. DRZ400s seem to be pretty popular.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Dually's are great. But since I don't own one myself, I'll let others give more substantial input.  
I've definitely danced around with the idea of getting one. But if you're going to be doing a lot of highway riding, it could be a little on the "light" side - You'll definitely feel the wind knocking you around... But if that doesn't bother you - Go for it. DRZ400s seem to be pretty popular.
Wind doesn't bother me... Did 6+ years on a ninja250, very use to getting pushed around. I will take a look at that bike.

• Premium Member

Heeeey so you know then! Haha, I spent 20K miles on a CBR250R, mostly highway. At least the DRZ will be a bit faster :)

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Heeeey so you know then! Haha, I spent 20K miles on a CBR250R, mostly highway. At least the DRZ will be a bit faster :)
Just means more wind lol

I cruise on my DRZ-SM up to 70mph but it's more comfortable doing 60-65 and of course, blapping around at 30-50 is way too much fun.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I cruise on my DRZ-SM up to 70mph but it's more comfortable doing 60-65 and of course, blapping around at 30-50 is way too much fun.
Freeways here in good ol OR are 55 to 65 anyways (and I always do the speed limits /s).
It's not a super tall bike is it? One foot down doesn't bother me. I'm 5'10 without my gear

My friend has a DRZ400. It's a bit bulky down tight trails, but it's still capable. I started on an XT225. It was really light, so it was easy to ride off-road and could still do highway speeds. If I got another, I'd probably get a WR250R, unless I got a good deal on an XT250.

People that race dirt bikes start with smaller bikes and gradually work their way up to bigger class bikes for a reason so do yourself a favor and don't start with a fairly big bike like a 400. An XT225 or similar would be a nice size beginner dirt bike. It's not to say you can't ride trails with a bigger bike but I doubt you will feel as confident on a bigger bike. It will be harder to manage, especially in loose dirt/mud and you might not get it out of 2nd gear on most tight trails. That's what I experienced with my old XT350. Even to this day I would rather have an XT225 than an XT350 for trail riding. It's all about being light & nimble. Forget about how you feel while riding on the highway, it's all the same on a dirt bike.

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler

The Suzuki DRZ400 is a fine bike, but if you want something a bit different which has a bit of a cult following, try its predecessor the Suzuki DR350. Specifically the 98 or 99 DR350SE. Definitely lighter than the 400, and arguably more reliable. Still plenty of aftermarket stuff for it too. Here's my last one:

DR350.jpg

I sold my Dual sport (2009 KLX250S) recently. I've ridden a few DRZ400's and a WR250R.

They're all more or less the same - they can do everything, but they do none of it well.

I sold mine for twice the price of the bike I replaced it with (a 2005 YZ250) and the replacement bike is leagues better in every regard. Lighter, faster, WAY better suspension (like not even comparable).

If you're into toodling down fire roads and some moderate double track off roading, dual sports will get you around. You can have fun little adventures on them, but depending on your age and riding style, don't expect to be very entertained by them over the long run.

5'11 32" inseam. It's not like a KTM dirtbike if that is your concern.
Sounds like I should sit fine on it. Even if its a tad bit taller I can deal with it. I very rarely put both feet down on the FZ anyways.

People that race dirt bikes start with smaller bikes and gradually work their way up to bigger class bikes for a reason so do yourself a favor and don't start with a fairly big bike like a 400. An XT225 or similar would be a nice size beginner dirt bike. It's not to say you can't ride trails with a bigger bike but I doubt you will feel as confident on a bigger bike. It will be harder to manage, especially in loose dirt/mud and you might not get it out of 2nd gear on most tight trails. That's what I experienced with my old XT350. Even to this day I would rather have an XT225 than an XT350 for trail riding. It's all about being light & nimble. Forget about how you feel while riding on the highway, it's all the same on a dirt bike.
Good to know. As I posted up a bit I did 6+ years on a ninja250 just because it was so fun to just flick it around (and always fun when a little 250 keeps up with the 600's in the corners :) 
Sounds like I have some bikes to look at then...

Archived