Sign in to follow this  
grafasmangirdas

Noob question, springs, preload adjusters, oil

grafasmangirdas
Hi there,
i bought an FZ-07 off an auction house, it's a 2014 model, has damaged forks, stanchions, but i got a pretty sweet deal actually.

Since fork stanchions (and one of the springs) are to be replaced anyway and after reading couple of threads on this forum i decided to mod the front suspension.

I ordered Wilburs progressive springs and chinese preload adjusters off ebay, i'm also considering to change the oil to 15w viscosity.

Problem is i'm not sure what to expect since i havent ridden a FZ-07 before. I'm actually pretty fat at 220 pounds (100 kg) and i'm only planing to do commuting on the bike. I personally like suspension more on a stiffer side and i owned a Hornet and Gladius before and they were too soft for me.

My questions is maybe i should leave standard 10w oil or should i add some more oil or change to w15. Anyway any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

grafasmangirdas
Only the stanchions are bent and I just received new stanchions from Yamaha. Now waiting for the springs and preload adjusters and i will start to assemble the forks.

Very helpful table thank you.

What's your opinion on my setup? do you any other advice?

I'm planing to use the bike as a commuter but i still want most i can get from stock shocks considering my fat ass.

bugeyes
On the rear I guess you end up around notch 7 on the preload att 100 kg for a 30 mm sag.

grafasmangirdas
My guess is the same. Anyway i don't think there are any inexpensive mods for the rear suspension.

bugeyes
My guess is the same. Anyway i don't think there are any inexpensive mods for the rear suspension.
No, they seem to range from expensive to outrageously so. I will install adjusters on the forks and have already adjusted the rear to 30 mm sag and hope it helps some.

pattonme
Norwest *can* rebuild and revalve the stock unit but he can't add adjustments that don't already exist.
$250+ for the rework or $500 for a Matris which has everything except compression. Or go with Hyperpro or a Wilbers (slightly cheaper) per
http://fz07.org/post/25292

bannerfans_1095431.jpg