The MT-07 Forum

Review of the new SV650

rowdy

• Premium Member

Probably one of the best competitors to the FZ-07.
I owned a V-Strom 650 and loved it, and if they had this available when I bought my FZ-07, it would have made the choice much more difficult...
Suzuki 2017 SV650

Why can't left turners see us?

Undoubtedly, it would've made my choice harder as well had I not been a Yamaha lover but like most bikes, it probably has it's unseen cons like the FZ-07 has. Unseen until you buy one and ride it awhile. The one con about the Suzuki that would really irritate me personally is the sloping seat. It may be a little harder to remedy that than the cons with the FZ's seat but overall I think the Suzuki is a real nice bike. Suzuki has always made nice bikes. I would love to have a GT380 in good shape. (two-stroke junky)

Beemer

• Global Moderator

I ran in to a guy at the dealership a few months ago who was on a new SV650. He had traded an FZ-07 for it and was wishing he had kept the Yamaha. He said the FZ-07 was more fun to ride and he did not like the Suzuki as much as he had thought he would.

• Premium Member
I ran in to a guy at the dealership a few months ago who was on a new SV650. He had traded an FZ-07 for it and was wishing he had kept the Yamaha. He said the FZ-07 was more fun to ride and he did not like the Suzuki as much as he had thought he would.
Good to hear!  I wasn't wishing I had waited exactly, but it's good to get a real user giving that kind of feedback. 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

"I ran into a guy..." Then, why did he trade to begin with??? I understand the concept of "buyer's remorse," but good grief!

I wish I could've talked to him before he bought it. Suzuki may be a better bike in a some respects but it isn't the better positioning of this & that on a bike or the suspension that thrills a person when they crack the throttle, it's the engine so don't dump your FZ for an SV. You can always tweak the suspension on the FZ to make it as nice as the Suzuki's but you can't tweak the Suzuki's engine to make it perform like the Yami's. 

Beemer

New Rider mag puts FZ-07 in 1st place, SV second, Versys third.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Have you all seen the hot bodies fairing kit for the new SV? Hot Bodies said they can make one for the fz but they need a local San Diego FZ to work with.

Come on @howlinhoss, don't tease, put in a link! :)
Because I'm not seeing it on their site... The SV has traditionally just re-used GSXR bodywork.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I asked Hot Bodies to do this for the fz. Someone work them with in San Diego! It would give us another option for track fairings.

WOW that looks good.
Agreed that chick is smoking hot! Someone in San Diego just needs to go to Hot Bodies and work with them to have the fairings made for the FZ.

Great looking bike. Be good to get contemporary competition on the grid for the FZ. Most of the SV's, although more than competitive, are getting long in the tooth. Future looks bright for Lightweight racing!

Archived