The MT-07 Forum

Rear tire hugger

skiddum

The important word is "damp" not running with water. Touch/release/touch release. Less likely to warp.
Sounds good gregjet, I've done quite a bit of composite work, mold making etc. but haven't done any CF layups but time permitting I'd like to give it a try...on this bike I think I'd like to do a more affective hugger like the small gp bikes have. I also need to make a composite tank for a Triumph street tracker but need to research epoxy resins to find one that's fuel/ethanol proof, do you know of such a product off hand? Mark 

I have made carbon tank COVERS for race bikes but not a proper tank. I have made fibreglass ones but that was with polyester which is pretty well petrol resistant. If you find a suitable epoxy please let me know. I thought of making a carbon/epoxy/innegra layer around a polyester fibreglass core. You could use a tight cloth for the polyester for fuel resistance and a stable form then the carbon/innegra for stiffness and strength. Could be thinner than way.
 BTW did you know that most epoxies ( particularly with carbon layups ) don't become stable stiffness until they have gone through at least 5 heat cycles. Had a few set warped because it didn't find that out til later. Make sure they are stable form held until they have heated up and cooled down at least 5 times. I put mine in the sun then , pour water over them in the shade. But I live in Queensland and the sun is pretty reliable and hot.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

wouldn't be cheap to use, but this stuff is about the only thing that seems to work protecting plastic (aka nylon PA) tanks from todays ethanol/water laden fuels http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer/caswell-epoxy-gas-tank-sealer-motorcycle-kit-up-to-10-gal-cans.html#

It flows pretty well and takes some time to set up, so it would be workable for fiberglass lay-ups.

wouldn't be cheap to use, but this stuff is about the only thing that seems to work protecting plastic (aka nylon PA) tanks from todays ethanol/water laden fuels http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer/caswell-epoxy-gas-tank-sealer-motorcycle-kit-up-to-10-gal-cans.html#  
It flows pretty well and takes some time to set up, so it would be workable for fiberglass lay-ups.
rick, I was aware of the Caswell product for sealing tanks but never thought of it as being used for layups. I'll have to look into that...thanks 

Did a quick look around. Here is an interesting paper. https://www.plenco.com/phenolic-novolac-resol-resins.htm
Look at the paragraphs "Bonding strength", "chemical resistance", "carbon" and "composites". Looks like , at the very least a good resin for the internal layup, then surround with other fibre such as innegra and carbon to counteract the brittleness.
I think I see a fuel tank experiment in my future IF I can get some. A lot of these things are only available as bulk.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The bottom of my Aprilia's plastic tank where the fuel pump plate bolts up is just stupid thin. There's a big fat o-ring that makes the seal. Everywhere there's not a bolt thru the plate, the orange distorts the plastic away so far that the tanks leak. Aprilia/Acerbis has had this issue and others for over a decade.

I used that Caswell stuff to flatten the bottom of the tank. BTW, it scrapes (card/cabinet scraper) and sands quite nicely.

The Caswell kit I bought is only enough to coat one large tank - its 16 oz (470cc) of resin and a 8 oz (235cc) of hardener. I used disposable syringes to measure it out properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the CF rear hugger from eBay with the aluminum alloy lower addition that I attached to the swing arm using nutserts -- this keeps debris from coming forward onto shock and linkage.

IMG_20160604_144758935.jpg
IMG_20160604_144826278.jpg
IMG_20160606_175207505.jpg

Thanks, not really my best but it's out of sight and works great, eventually I'd like a motogp inspired hugger like on the moto 3 bikes but who knows if or when...to many projects.

Archived