The MT-07 Forum

Rear tire hugger

skiddum

Hey guys I'm looking for a rear tire hugger. I've been looking at some of them and im looking for something that's actually effective. Allot of the ones I've looked for the Fz 07 have vents in them and are short. The one I'm looking at is just the extender. In all honesty I'm a plastic welder and I'm thinking about taking the one off my bike and using some FiberFlex and just welding some on an buff it out. Then I can make it as long as I'd like and wrap around the tire in fashion.

i like that idea. Best of all, it'll be cheap for you to do and custom to boot.

While yer at it, see if there's a way to extend that hugger forward to protect the suspension linkage from sponge thrown off the tire.

I'm sure it could be done easily enough. They have this thing at revzilla that wraps around the shock to help stop some of that as well

Was thinking more on the order of this - http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/aprilia-pyramid-puig-rear-huggers/aprilia-rst1000-futura-black-pyramid-hugger.htmlwhere that long straight section faces vertically in front of the wheel. Wrapping the shock would be better than nothing, but won't do anything to protect the bearings in the links.

Was thinking more on the order of this - http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/aprilia-pyramid-puig-rear-huggers/aprilia-rst1000-futura-black-pyramid-hugger.htmlwhere that long straight section faces vertically in front of the wheel. Wrapping the shock would be better than nothing, but won't do anything to protect the bearings in the links.
That link isn't working

Was thinking more on the order of this - http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/aprilia-pyramid-puig-rear-huggers/aprilia-rst1000-futura-black-pyramid-hugger.html   where that long straight section faces vertically in front of the wheel. Wrapping the shock would be better than nothing, but won't do anything to protect the bearings in the links.
That link isn't working
hmm, sorry, dunno how the word "where" got into the link   
try it now  

This one looks like it would protect the bearings area your referring to.
But if you look it has vents in it. But if you get a cheep plastic welder it should and some fiber flex you can easily cover those and extend it a little bit. Fiber flex is extremely strong as well I use it to fix bumpers and so on.

0901fcfbcdbf4e60a5bfa2088fc20979.jpg

I'm looking at the pyramid extender. Put some plastic rivets through it and then putting some fiber flex on the sides wrap it around the tire kinda fashion and extend it.
Then take some strips and run them across the bearings area to cover that up.
Make it one solid piece and make sure it's a bolt on and can be removed. Easy easy layer on a few pieces drill halfway through with a large one and all the way through with a small one on both sides to make sure the nut bolt and washer don't interfere with anything and are out of the way. if I do it right it should be all but seamless add some gasket maker around the edges let it dry and bam perfect so that nothing can get in. Then bolt it into place. The nice thing is it doesn't have to be pretty or large cause it's going under everything so it should be a super easy job.

Actually, Pyramid already makes such a thing. https://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/accessory.html?accessoryCode=3746&accessory=Yamaha-MT07-FZ07-Gloss-Black-Hugger 
That's a UK link, but there are dealers in the states
I like that I really do that'll probably protect it far better than what I'm thinking. And far easier, I'll still wrap the shock to be safe

• Premium Member

Mine pictured... not the greatest "protection," but I like it.  However, it would be a good base for fabbing bigger if one so desired.

4884_Sm.jpg

image hosting

I made a kind of curtin out of a inner tube on my last bike it worked keeping
the shock and back of the engine clean and extending the air filter life
you did not notice it unless shown it was there,
but have not bothered on the 07, bring back mug guards all is forgiven.

No sorry. Up in the right hand side there is the menu click on your paragraph and once it's highlighted then the menu and itll let you edit the post. Good for future stuff to

The vents in the one shown won't let crap through to the shock. The stuff comes off the tyre TANGENTIALLY and the shape of the slots will stop it going through.
I made my own from carbon. It doesn't looks as lumpy if real life . That's a function of the light direction and the fibre layup.
DSCN0927.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

No sorry. Up in the right hand side there is the menu click on your paragraph and once it's highlighted then the menu and itll let you edit the post. Good for future stuff to
Skiddum, I tried to edit and ended up with a huge pix that was unviewable so deleted and will practice some more later, going to go chop some wood, this I can handle. 

The vents in the one shown won't let crap through to the shock. The stuff comes off the tyre TANGENTIALLY and the shape of the slots will stop it going through. I made my own from carbon. It doesn't looks as lumpy if real life . That's a function of the light direction and the fibre layup.
DSCN0927.jpg
That's way nice. You made that yourself

Made them for most of my race bikes. We race in the wet and tropical wet means a ton of water gets chucked forward from the rear tyre. As most of my bikes had no or minimal filtering a hugger worked well. Also they stop the tyre pumping air forward and blocking the flow of cooling air past the motor. A good shape helps the flow attach rearward.

No, don't make then for anybody except me and my partner ( I made one for her 690 Duke). I am retired and staying that way. Not that hard to do if you have done something like making surfboards or the like. If you have a good fibreglasser in your area you could make a full size model and they can prob do one in glass, carbon or innegra ( or a combination).
You could even use the original as a mould and tape an extention onto that. Then lay over that. That's how this one was done. Used a thin flexible plastic cutting mat for the extention. Note: using a male mould means lots of after layup finishing work.
More often I make a shape from scratch from ureathane shaping foam. You can make a female mould that way and get better finish and allow you to make multiple ones.

The long CF hugger on ebay is pretty nice and fit well. I did use my heat gun to warm up certain areas to tweek into better alignment, if you do this do not overheat the area, keep the heat moving and keep testing by touch lest you ruin your pc., hold in position until the area cools a bit and it will hold it's shape. For $99 I felt it was worth not going to all the work to make just one. Hope this helps.

Markster,
Damp cloth on the soft hot plastic while you hold it works quick. Need to do BOTH sides though or it can warp.

Markster, Damp cloth on the soft hot plastic while you hold it works quick. Need to do BOTH sides though or it can warp.
Yeah, I had a sponge/bucket handy but found this thin layup cooled quickly and so held it in shape for a minute but that's good advice especially to anyone who may be tempted to use more heat than necessary or when attempting to shape a heavier pc. that would retain heat longer. 

The important word is "damp" not running with water. Touch/release/touch release. Less likely to warp.

Archived