The MT-07 Forum

Another FZ-07R build thread...

henks

I've been keeping a progress thread on FB, but figured since I'm new here, I'd share what I've done.

This is a SS build, so no motor work.

Starts off as a 2016 FZ-07.
IMG_20160907_162533387.jpg

Installed (as of 3-18-17):

- Andreani fork cartridge kit
- Woodcraft clip ons (black tubes)
- Red Pazzo levers
- Woodcraft frame sliders
- AP MotoArts relocation brackets for ECU/Voltage Regulator
- AP MotoArts race bodywork mounting brackets
- Yoshimura engine case covers
- Yoshimura full exhaust with SS can and works header
- K-Tech Razor R shock
- AP MotoArts rear shock link
- AP MotoArts rearsets
- ECU (flashed by FlashTune)
- Quickshifter (GP shift)
- Vortex racing locking gas cap
- Spiegler stainless steel braided brake lines (red coating/black fittings)
- R6 throttle tube w/MotionPro grips

I also have the bodywork, rearsets, and rear shock here at my place, and exhaust/engine case covers will be here tomorrow.  So really I don't have much left to do as far as parts buying.  Just a bunch of odds and ends type stuff, and sending the ECU for a flash.

I'll update the installed parts list as things get put on, and will post pictures as I go.

IMG_20161103_181658790.jpg

IMG_20161103_182537124.jpg

IMG_20161129_185130324.jpg
Bodywork mockup

-Chris
Central Roadracing Association #286E

Exhaust and engine case covers showed up this weekend. With holidays coming up, things are getting stretched a little bit so depending on how things go, might wait on sending ECU for reflash until after the new year.

Should be fun to really make some big progress here the next few weeks though.

-Chris

One other thing...

Christmas isn't here yet, so you all still have a chance. Get yourself a lift/table. This thing is worth it's weight in gold in saving back/knee strain. I'm a young guy, but from my time in the military and current line of work, I sometimes have to carry quite a bit of weight for extended periods. Being able to lift the bike 30" higher to work on something, it's awesome. If you can swing it, definitely get one.

-Chris

Decided to do some work today, and the first post is now updated with new parts that have been installed tonight.

Fairly straightforward.  Yoshimura engine case covers, and Yoshimura full exhaust.  Doing the exhaust would have absolutely been a much, much longer project if: 1) I didn't have a table lift.  Concrete floor in Dec is cooooold! and 2) Rearsets already removed.  Made the job much easier.  Accomplished both in about an hour or so, combined.

IMG_20161209_171940803.jpg

IMG_20161209_182710056.jpg

-Chris

Where are you racing?
I race at Brainerd International Raceway, with the Central Roadracing Association (CRA)

-Chris

Did you get the rearset plates from AP?
The rearsets I got are actually the rearsets machined at AP's shop (or whoever does his machining), and they came with the plates, yes.

-Chris

Not much of an update...it's been brutally cold this week. Did send off the ECU to CA to get a flash, and when it comes back, there'll be a quickshifter along with it to get installed.

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of an update really, but kickstarting this thread again for the new year. Quickshifter and flashed ECU arrived in the mail today. Also got jackstands needed to lift the bike so I can do the shock/rearset swap. Barring anything unforeseen, hoping to get some mega work done on it this weekend.  Forgot to mention, I also ordered the vortex racing keyless locking gas cap.  That should make things a little bit easier at the track.

Also dropped the bodywork off at the painter's. He's a former (somewhat still kinda current) racer and track day instructor that has painted numerous racebikes. Excited to see the final product the next couple months.

-Chris

Here is a combo I use for quick and easy rear wheel removal etc., a Trackside front wheel chock from Cycle Gear and a small bottle jack with home made adapter to cradle the Yamaha frame cross tube beneath the swing arm, it would have been easier had that cross tube been horizontal and not angled but not bad.

IMG_20160426_170058425.jpg
IMG_20160426_172200233.jpg

In these pix the bike is on a Kendon lift (so nice not to work on my knees any more) but it would be the same on the ground with front wheel chock.

Sweet, thanks. From that view looks like it shouldn't be too bad getting to shock mounts and such.

-Chris

Sweet, thanks. From that view looks like it shouldn't be too bad getting to shock mounts and such.
Actually super easy and fast to do with nothing in your way, if I'm going to leave it overnight I slide my scissors jack with a pc. of 2x4 on it under the sump...my cheap bottle jack tends to lose a bit of lift over night. 
If you can see it, I took a scalloped cut out of the bottom of the yosh muffler hanger, makes it much easier to get in there with tools if you need to pull it off for any reason, not sure why you'd need to but made install easier also.

Oops! wrong picture, that was before I scalloped out the bottom sorry.

If you fab up a similar bottle jack adapter, notice that the horizontal half pipe that the frame rests in is longer on the rt. side, this is so that it rests against the frame engine mount tab on the front side of the cross tube not allowing the adapter to slide up that angled frame tube any further. Also inner tube rubber is glued inside the cradle.

And now...weekend update.

Big progress this weekend.  First off, huge shout out to mossrider (Dave) for the heater, and stopping by giving me a hand.  Would have been a little tricky getting things lined up without that extra set of hands.

Lots of changes done.  First post updated with new parts installed.  The rear shock link was the most time consuming, as it took me a while to get the swingarm pivot bolt nut to break free.  But once that was done, things started to go fairly smoothly.  With that removed, it was also time to swap out the rearsets as well.  Also started drilling some bolts as well for safety wire.  All in all, it was a good weekend in the garage.

IMG_20170107_151423318.jpg

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't ridden it yet with the new linkage on. It's still winter here in MN, and it's not all finished yet.

-Chris

Finished drilling front caliper bolts. Also drilled oil drain plug and filler cap. Hooked up ECU/QS, and installed vortex racing gas cap. First post updated with parts list.

-Chris

Haven't ridden it yet with the new linkage on. It's still winter here in MN, and it's not all finished yet.
I thought the midwest guys race the in snow and ice.  Last time I went to Grattan, folks were telling stories of ice around the track prior to a WERA race practice.  Folks went around picking out the ice on the track.  I didn't want to believe them until someone I knew said they raced one of those ice weekends.

Keep us posted on how you like the quickshifter.  I have the same ECU based QS.

Yams and Ham!

Hey @henks did you get the Race spec shock or the street version? Also, if you got the shock from Orient Express ask them to send you the new silver rings and the tool to go with. Otherwise I can get them and send them along too.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Are you going to use a steering damper?
Wasn't planning on it.  Not right now, anyway.

-Chris

Hey @henks did you get the Race spec shock or the street version? Also, if you got the shock from Orient Express ask them to send you the new silver rings and the tool to go with. Otherwise I can get them and send them along too.
I bought it through AP, so whatever Razor R shock he ordered is the one I got.  And no, I didn't get the tool.  Would be to have that around, actually.

-Chris

Archived