The MT-07 Forum

Battery maintenance over winter?

bansheeonfire

bansheeonfire

Hey guys i purchased my 2016 fz07 on october 29th and have only put 125 k on it. Was just wondering about battery maintenance. I purchased a motomaster eliminator intelligent battery charger/2amp trickle charge and before i hooked it up i looked in my owners manual. Apparently this is a valve regulated lead acid battery and it says a special constant voltage battery charger is required. Can i use this battery maintainer? Or will it damage the battery. ?

• Global Moderator

I have had mine on a regular battery tender for the last two years with no problems. I do not think the stock battery requires anything special.

Get a cheap 24 hour timer set it to come on a hour a day
plug the charger into that it will keep the battery happy
and no way to over do it.

I have had mine on a regular battery tender for the last two years with no problems. I do not think the stock battery requires anything special.
Me as well. Both my bikes and my car (take a bus to work) live on tenders.  
2 things kill these batteries, 1) heat, 2) allowing them to get discharged.

Hard to prevent the heat, but it's easy enough to keep them fully charged. 

Ok thanks but just to be clear i can leave the maintainer on the battery all winter long 24/7. ?
Yes indeed!  
My last car battery survived 8.5 years living 24/7 on an Optimate 5 when not being driven and that was a lot.

The one thing that's important is to not use a charger who's amperage output is too high for these little batteries. The std. rule of thumb is staying around 10% of the ampere-hour rating of the battery. The FZ's little battery is something like 8 Ah, so it's best to have a charger with a max output not higher than 1 amp or so. A charger meant to be on a big car battery will cause a small battery to get needlessly hot until it goes to float mode. Over time this adds up.

So in theory, that 2 amp charger is too big. But if you leave it plugged in all the time and the charger is "smart" enough, current output to tend to the battery's needs (there will always be a small amount of current drawn) to keep it fully charged, it's probably OK.

If your battery is getting warm to the touch after a 24 hour period on the charger, I'd say find a smaller charger - Battery Tender Jr. for instance, with an output of 0.75A   https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_1/161-7368137-0618942?ie=UTF8&qid=1480605994&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+jr.  

• Premium Member
Get a cheap 24 hour timer set it to come on a hour a day plug the charger into that it will keep the battery happy
and no way to over do it.

I agree with this 100%.  
I normally only put on a charge just before I put them back into service after 6 months and I've never had an Issue with all my toys FYI.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

My buddy's C7 came with a nice float charger to keep the battery happy over the months it would be out of service due?

I would say that if yer gonna leave the battery just sit for 6 months, pull the "main" fuse so there's no parasitic draw from the ecu and clock in the gauge..

• Premium Member
My buddy's C7 came with a nice float charger to keep the battery happy over the months it would be out of service due?  
I would say that if yer gonna leave the battery just sit for 6 months, pull the "main" fuse so there's no parasitic draw from the ecu and clock in the gauge..
Yep, I will pull the battery and set in on a pallet. Not saying this will happen to everyone but I've had chargers go bad and I'm lucky it didn't start a fire. So I will no longer leave a charger on for more than 12 hours. Just food for thought.  
I had a battery last over 10 years before and it sat for months every year and I never pulled it or charged it lol. Just never know.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

125k since Oct.....Impressive.....JK.

Battery Tender JR. for me. Just rotate around between all bikes when green.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Lead acid batteries are at their optimum performance when fully charge.
So any time your bike, or your car for that matter, seats for a few days, or you drive short distances, or its really hot or really cold outside, pull out the tender and plug it until it shows the battery being full. Being on a timer is a great idea.
You will add many more years to your battery life.
I have a quick connector on my FZ and wish I could do it on my car. But all battery tender cords are 18" long, and that's too short, I wished they made a 4 feet cord. So, I lift the hood and connect the clamps to the battery.

Lead acid batteries are at their optimum performance when fully charge. So any time your bike, or your car for that matter, seats for a few days, or you drive short distances, or its really hot or really cold outside, pull out the tender and plug it until it shows the battery being full. Being on a timer is a great idea.
I have a quick connector on my FZ and wish I could do it on my car. But all battery tender cords are 18" long, and that's too short, I wished they made a 4 feet cord. So, I lift the hood and connect the clamps to the battery.
Get an extension cable, like this one that fits my charger... 
http://www.ctek.se/se/sv/chargers/Comfort%20Connect%20Extension%20Cable%202.5

Lead acid batteries are at their optimum performance when fully charge. So any time your bike, or your car for that matter, seats for a few days, or you drive short distances, or its really hot or really cold outside, pull out the tender and plug it until it shows the battery being full. Being on a timer is a great idea.
The output cord on my Optimate 5 is 6 feet. The charger is on a post to the right of the car and the battery is on the driver's side, so it reaches all the way across the car's front and then some.. I just have the short pigtail attached to the battery poking out of the grill.  
After reaching saturation voltage, the Optimate chargers shut off for 30 mins to analyze what the parasitic draw is and then adjust current needed to put the battery back to 100% in the next 30 min. charge cycle. So, 30 mins. on, 30 mins. off, the battery never gets warmer than ambient temp and stays fully charged.

Think the oldest one is about 12 years now. They're not cheap, but sometimes ya get what ya pay for.

bansheeonfire

Ok i just returned the motomaster charger and bought a battery tender junior 750 mA. Can i attach the supplied pos and neg "rings" to pos and neg battery posts and leave that attached to the bike permanently for ease of use?

bansheeonfire

And one more thing lol!! Anything electrical scares the shit outta me. Guess i been zapped too many times. If i install these rings permanently do i hook up pos or neg first on the battery. ? Or does it matter?

• Global Moderator

@bansheeonfireninja77 , It is fine to leave the "pigtail" attached permanently. I have mine routed so you can get to it by removing the passenger seat . I do not think it matters which post you attach first, as long as you get the leads on the correc post. Also make sure you do not accidently touch the screwdriver to the frame while you are doing the positive lead or you will make some sparks and scare yourself.

• Premium Member

I put a pigtail on the OEM battery and never had a problem. It had a plastic cover attached for when it's not in use. The Shorai I picked up needs a special charger that connects directly to the battery, but from what I've read, the discharge rate is so low that it's rare that you need one.  This winter will be a test for that, because I didn't feel like shelling out > $70 for a battery charger if I don't really need it. 

Why can't left turners see us?

Hook both leads to the battery, red on positive. Remove negative from the battery first and put it back last

Because my heated gear all has Powerlet (BMW stye) plugs, I fabricated a little plate and mounted this. The output my 2 bike chargers have been modded with the same plug.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/Powerlet_zps0a56021e.jpg

• Global Moderator
Lol thanks for making me feel even more of a wuss. But thanks just the same!
Sorry if my post made me sound like a jerk, it was not my intention.  I was just trying to be helpful for you and whoever else may be reading the thread.  

• 2 weeks later...
Ok i just returned the motomaster charger and bought a battery tender junior 750 mA. Can i attach the supplied pos and neg "rings" to pos and neg battery posts and leave that attached to the bike permanently for ease of use?

I have a battery tender... hooked my bike battery up to it 2 weeks ago... it greenlighted and to a fully charged storage state or status... that was 2 weeks ago... its still connected and greenlight status.. so for 2 weeks straight i have been connected... battery is cold to touch and the battery tender is cold to touch... no heat or signs of over heating coming from either... deltron battery tender 49.99 amazon... 5000 plus ratings and its still nearly perfectly rated.

But i wouldn't ride with anything connected as it may draw or drain... maybe not but i wouldn't leave any open connections

I have a battery tender... hooked my bike battery up to it 2 weeks ago... it greenlighted and to a fully charged storage state or status... that was 2 weeks ago... its still connected and greenlight status.. so for 2 weeks straight i have been connected... battery is cold to touch and the battery tender is cold to touch... no heat or signs of over heating coming from either... deltron battery tender 49.99 amazon... 5000 plus ratings and its still nearly perfectly rated.

But i wouldn't ride with anything connected as it may draw or drain... maybe not but i wouldn't leave any open connections
That's what the good ones will do. The Battery Tender Jr. is less than half the price and will do the same job. 
The bike has a 400 watt charging system, so it's more than capable of running a heated vest/jacket and a GPS at the same time w/o issue. Start adding heating grips and extra lights, you could run the charge system into deficit - if you run them all together. . 

Archived