The MT-07 Forum

Proton 500 Flush Mount Indicators

huntb

Musical Motorist

Hi everyone! I got my turn signals and I LOVE them! I actually got two pairs: one for front and one for back. It was a little tricky and required cutting some of the OEM signal wiring for the rear signals and knowing the purposes of Black, Brown, and Green wiring, but with a couple of friends it only took the best part of an hour and a bit. I made a video displaying the comparison of the OEM to the Proton and have included a link that, should you want to buy some for yourself, you can get 15% off! Enjoy!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone! I got my turn signals and I LOVE them! I actually got two pairs: one for front and one for back. It was a little tricky and required cutting some of the OEM signal wiring for the rear signals and knowing the purposes of Black, Brown, and Green wiring, but with a couple of friends it only took the best part of an hour and a bit. I made a video displaying the comparison of the OEM to the Proton and have included a link that, should you want to buy some for yourself, you can get 15% off! Enjoy! 

So  did you go with a new main signal relay under the tank cover or resistors at the signal? Be nice to also see your wiring match up so we don't have to get out the multi tester :) 

Musical Motorist

@rhb

No new signal relay or resistors necessary! You program the signals with a MAGNET. Yep, 21st-century stuff here: you wave a magnet in front of the signals and it changes how they blink. I personally prefer the strobe effect especially for night riding. The wiring was a little bit of trial and error; again, I had a very kind and gifted friend come over and help out with this. The other thing is that the customer service for this company is outstanding and they answered EVERY question I had. All plug and play -- no regrets of any kind!

@rhb  
No new signal relay or resistors necessary! You program the signals with a MAGNET. Yep, 21st-century stuff here: you wave a magnet in front of the signals and it changes how they blink. I personally prefer the strobe effect especially for night riding. The wiring was a little bit of trial and error; again, I had a very kind and gifted friend come over and help out with this. The other thing is that the customer service for this company is outstanding and they answered EVERY question I had. All plug and play -- no regrets of any kind!
But proton sales told me a relay (or resistors) was required to slow down the blink rate, I assume you don't care. Anyway nice job, especially adapting them to the rear for a total look. 

Just an FYI, you do need a relay or resistors. They are programmable for different flash patterns but they will quick flash without a relay or resistors. I opted for the TST relay

Musical Motorist

Is it bad for them to flash quickly? I was under the assumption that because you could program different speeds with the magnet it wasn't a big deal. If so, how much are the relays and can I have a link to that?
Side note about wiring -- we did a trial and error with one person holding the black wires (ground) together so that we could test the other colors and we came up with the following.

Right Turn Signal:
Black/Ground
Tan/Daytime Running
Green/Blinker

Left Turn Signal:
Black/Ground
Tan/Daytime Running
Brown/Blinker

Thanks for the warm words about the front and back! :)

Fast flashing is not bad, some people prefer it because they think cagers can notice them better but I can't stand it. My work computer won't let me on the TST website but it's www.tstindustries.com and put in your bike info and you'll see the relay.

• Global Moderator

Just FYI, in my state (Washington) turn signals must flash at a rate between 60 and 120 flashes per minute. I expect the law is similar in all states.

Musical Motorist
Just FYI, in my state (Washington) turn signals must flash at a rate between 60 and 120 flashes per minute. I expect the law is similar in all states.
Interestingly, you don't even NEED turn signals here in Arizona so I'm fairly sure I am in the clear here. Thanks for the heads up though! I'm sure I'll be told if I need to change the rate  (rofl)

JakeTheGardenSnake got these lights, and does a nice install/test video:

I find them pretty sweet for night visibility

Musical Motorist

They don't seem bright in daylight, but I've had people comment how extraordinarily visible they make me.

Musical Motorist

So here is a video showing the different patterns available.

I'll try and get my own demo of changing the signals with a magnet up at some point. I filmed it, but I nearly went blind in the process from how bright these things are!  P-)

Anyhow, the relay WILL make a difference if that's your preference. Personally, I'm fine with the speed at which they blink for now.

• 3 months later...
Don't be fooled by their videos. They didn't compare from different angles and we don't know if they did or didn't bump the current for the proton 500's in the video up to 16 volts while the others were 'maybe' ran at 12 v. I don't put sales trickery past anyone. edited: (Oh, except for our vendors here, hee, hee! ::) )
Just wanted to address this....

Our Proton lights use a constant current switching regulator - which means it doesn't matter if the input voltage is 11 volts, 12 volts, 15 volts or 20 volts... the brightness is the same.  There is no trickery in the videos - it would be counter-productive to show customers something and then deliver something else, especially since we take anything back with no restocking fees.  

The only thing you need with TST is a blinker relay which you'll need anyway if you're planning on going LED in the rear and plug and play harnesses if you don't want to splice anything. Unless you'd rather fit resistors all the way around, what a pain and very unnecessary install. 
My relay and TST fronts (with harnesses) were less than $35. Then since you already have the relay you don't need to worry about resistors on the rear signals and an LED/sequential tail light will work right out of the box without the huge, bulky resistors that heat up every time you're holding your brake or signaling. It still makes absolutely zero sense to spend more than $20-30 on front signals. 
I disagree.  We use Lumileds LED's in our Proton 500 lights which cost $0.50 each (if you buy 5,000 at a time).  There's 18 of them in the Proton light... so that's $9 worth of just LED's.  Plus a constant current switching regulator in each signal - so no heat wasted through resistors (allowing us to drive the LED's at max brightness without overheating them).  The housing is CNC machined from solid cast acrylic - you can run the signal over with your bike and it won't break.  The hardware is all stainless or corrosion resistant plated steel.  

Even if you don't care about the programmable settings (which come from a RISC microcontroller in each signal), you're still looking at more than $30 just in parts cost, not including labor or machining time or packaging.  And these signals are 100% made in the USA and we've never turned someone away on warranty work or charged anyone a fee to fix something outside of warranty in the 18 years we've been in business.  

I have no doubt our profit margin on our signals is way less than anyone else.  And the brightness difference between ours and others is massive.  

I completely understand that our product isn't for everyone.  But I'm on the mailing list of all the Chinese manufacturers (that make every other flushmount on the market except Watsen), and you're looking at $3 to $5 per pair wholesale price, so they have maybe a dollar worth of parts in them.  

Hope this sheds some light on the cost of our signals - there's no brighter flushmount in existence. 

Don't be fooled by their videos. They didn't compare from different angles and we don't know if they did or didn't bump the current for the proton 500's in the video up to 16 volts while the others were 'maybe' ran at 12 v. I don't put sales trickery past anyone. edited: (Oh, except for our vendors here, hee, hee! ::) )
Just wanted to address this.... 
Our Proton lights use a constant current switching regulator - which means it doesn't matter if the input voltage is 11 volts, 12 volts, 15 volts or 20 volts... the brightness is the same.  There is no trickery in the videos - it would be counter-productive to show customers something and then deliver something else, especially since we take anything back with no restocking fees.  
Thanks for the informative reply! You're one of the good ones! ;)   

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for the proton 500, they are rediculously bright, even on a summer afternoon day with no overcast. Have had them on my bike for a couple monts now and the only complaint is that the people I ride with get spots in their eyes when they look at them for more than 2 seconds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I bought the TST blinkers before I knew I had to change out my relay. I got this on amazon and it works great on the FZ-07. Direct plug in. Right at $10 

Amazon LED relay confirmed to work on FZ-07

31QKtqTHK7L.jpg
FYI: Here's another plug & play twin to that one that I use without issue as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T3AF7W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I just ordered these and the service was amazing! I asked in the notes if I could have the adapters for Yamaha blinkers, I am not sure if they came with it. From what I have seen in videos about people putting them on FZ-07, it didn't come with it. And it also came preinstalled on it. And the build quality is amazing.

• 4 months later...

Archived