The MT-07 Forum

Proton 500 Flush Mount Indicators

huntb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be fooled by their videos. They didn't compare from different angles and we don't know if they did or didn't bump the current for the proton 500's in the video up to 16 volts while the others were 'maybe' ran at 12 v. I don't put sales trickery past anyone. edited: (Oh, except for our vendors here, hee, hee! ::) )

Beemer

Did you guys even check out the YouTube video before you started making assumptions that they are trying to trick us from their website?

you'd rather spend $80 on a $2 sheet of perforated metal rather then $67 (with 15% discount) on a rather cool and innovative safety device? you know what a 500 lum flash light goes for? over $40, here you are getting 2 of them. I think i'll get a set when i get my bike out of hibernation. I'll put them in front and my TST ones in the back

Guest ChicagoAJ
you'd rather spend $80 on a $2 sheet of perforated metal rather then $67 (with 15% discount) on a rather cool and innovative safety device? you know what a 500 lum flash light goes for? over $40, here you are getting 2 of them. I think i'll get a set when i get my bike out of hibernation. I'll put them in front and my TST ones in the back
Flush mounts are not a safety device. All the lights in the world aren't going to make you visible during the day to drivers that are looking at their phones, did you even watch the video? You can barely see them in the day time.  
And yes, I would rather pay $80 for a nice looking radiator guard when compared to the ugly DIY and cheap eBay aluminum ones that would dent if a grasshopper hit them hard enough. Evotech Performance makes the best looking rad guards out there and they're usually the cheapest when compared to other top brands. I even have one on my GSXS. Cheap insurance when compared to the cost of a radiator, flush mounts on the other hand... Might as well keep the stock turn signals if you really want to be seen, you could see them from the moon. 

Flush mounts are not a safety device. All the lights in the world aren't going to make you visible during the day to drivers that are looking at their phones, did you even watch the video? You can barely see them in the day time.  
And yes, I would rather pay $80 for a nice looking radiator guard when compared to the ugly DIY and cheap eBay aluminum ones that would dent if a grasshopper hit them hard enough. Evotech Performance makes the best looking rad guards out there and they're usually the cheapest when compared to other top brands. I even have one on my GSXS. Cheap insurance when compared to the cost of a radiator, flush mounts on the other hand... Might as well keep the stock turn signals if you really want to be seen, you could see them from the moon. 
Drivers looking at their phones arent going to see anything flush or not, but the other 95% of drivers WILL see 500 lum lights think tow truck blinkers. The TST ones are visible just fine and are probably only 100 lum. regardless of what you may see in a compressed video 500 lum if they are indeed what they are claimed to be is very bright. Add the fact that you can change the flashing pattern easily and they are daytime running makes them more then worth the $67. I dont understand how people think a couple inches of plastic makes blinkers more visible.

Now no matter how well built or pretty you think your rad guard is it only costs $5 to make. so you are paying a 1500% mark up and some how that is a better buy? my aluminum guard will deflect the pebbles most likely to be thrown at it with no problem. don't know what kind of boulders your running over but if hug rocks hitting you radiator are an issue you might have bigger problems.

From the videos I'd say they are much brighter than the TST ones, which I had on my previous bike. Now, safety is first and I'd say that if you are looking for this design, go and invest on it.
As I want to be seen, I didn't remove the reflectors on the front fork.

This is another topic already, but some 3M-like reflective flextape on my backpack (just ironing and it stays perfectly) helps me to be noticed easier at night:
Lightweights Flex Tape (Silver, 100-Inch Roll) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P3Z8VW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sJBtybT80BDT9

Safe riding!

Guest ChicagoAJ
Drivers looking at their phones arent going to see anything flush or not, but the other 95% of drivers WILL see 500 lum lights think tow truck blinkers. The TST ones are visible just fine and are probably only 100 lum. regardless of what you may see in a compressed video 500 lum if they are indeed what they are claimed to be is very bright. Add the fact that you can change the flashing pattern easily and they are daytime running makes them more then worth the $67. I dont understand how people think a couple inches of plastic makes blinkers more visible. 
Now no matter how well built or pretty you think your rad guard is it only costs $5 to make. so you are paying a 1500% mark up and some how that is a better buy? my aluminum guard will deflect the pebbles most likely to be thrown at it with no problem. don't know what kind of boulders your running over but if hug rocks hitting you radiator are an issue you might have bigger problems.

Apparently you've never been stuck behind a fully loaded dump truck on any road. 

Apparently you've never been stuck behind a fully loaded dump truck on any road. 
actually i drive tri-axles and work out of a quarry and I'm smart enough to know you don't drive or ride right behind any truck, but sure shit happens, still 3/4 inch rock which is what those trucks would haul, is not going to break my radiator guard . 

Ok, down boys :)
Hey I got a real nice Chinese rad guard for 27 bucks and it is stainless steel. :)
And I contacted the proton people about their product, I am concerned about visibility, for me its not how far they stick out but which way they are oriented. front and back seems more logical, but anyway the proton folks are nice, and offered to supply both free plug in adapters and resistors if needed. TST? you will be buying all the extras.
I want to see a daytime video from behind a bike to see if they are as visible as they say. It is daytime visibility that is most important, more traffic, more trucks, more stupid people looking at everything but YOU.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Ok, down boys :) Hey I got a real nice Chinese rad guard for 27 bucks and it is stainless steel. :)
And I contacted the proton people about their product, I am concerned about visibility, for me its not how far they stick out but which way they are oriented. front and back seems more logical, but anyway the proton folks are nice, and offered to supply both free plug in adapters and resistors if needed. TST? you will be buying all the extras.
I want to see a daytime video from behind a bike to see if they are as visible as they say. It is daytime visibility that is most important, more traffic, more trucks, more stupid people looking at everything but YOU.
The only thing you need with TST is a blinker relay which you'll need anyway if you're planning on going LED in the rear and plug and play harnesses if you don't want to splice anything. Unless you'd rather fit resistors all the way around, what a pain and very unnecessary install. 
My relay and TST fronts (with harnesses) were less than $35. Then since you already have the relay you don't need to worry about resistors on the rear signals and an LED/sequential tail light will work right out of the box without the huge, bulky resistors that heat up every time you're holding your brake or signaling. It still makes absolutely zero sense to spend more than $20-30 on front signals. 

Ok, down boys :) Hey I got a real nice Chinese rad guard for 27 bucks and it is stainless steel. :)
The only thing you need with TST is a blinker relay which you'll need anyway if you're planning on going LED in the rear and plug and play harnesses if you don't want to splice anything. Unless you'd rather fit resistors all the way around, what a pain and very unnecessary install. 
My relay and TST fronts (with harnesses) were less than $35. Then since you already have the relay you don't need to worry about resistors on the rear signals and an LED/sequential tail light will work right out of the box without the huge, bulky resistors that heat up every time you're holding your brake or signaling. It still makes absolutely zero sense to spend more than $20-30 on front signals. 
Correct, the relay is the better solution, just pointing out some perks included with the Protons. According to the you tube video I saw TST requires adapters if you want "plug and play" capability, which they said are extra. Perhaps that has changed. People have to decide for themselves what "too much money" is for signals that can be the difference between life or death. Personally, I would not buy any small side projecting blinker until I see a user video shot from the back in traffic showing its overall visibility from behind, in daylight. The stock blinkers are quite effective. Going for a "look" is shortsighted unless they work equally well in all conditions or better.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Correct, the relay is the better solution, just pointing out some perks included with the Protons. According to the you tube video I saw TST requires adapters if you want "plug and play" capability, which they said are extra. Perhaps that has changed. People have to decide for themselves what "too much money" is for signals that can be the difference between life or death. Personally, I would not buy any small side projecting blinker until I see a user video shot from the back in traffic showing its overall visibility from behind, in daylight. The stock blinkers are quite effective. Going for a "look" is shortsighted unless they work equally well in all conditions or better.

$4.99 for the plug and play connectors from TST and I believe that their flush mounts are like $17.99. It was a no-brainer for me. 

I'm with rhb, video from in front and behind in daylight or they're 'just' cool looking. 500 lumen's means nothing if the light is mostly projected to the side and you can only see 1/2 of the bulbs.

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...
Musical Motorist
Has anyone bought these? Kind of expensive but they look super bright 
Proton 500

EN187 on YouTube has a video of them on his Z125 and I really like them. Might pick up a set
Did you end up getting these and installing?  If so, how did you like them?  I'm looking at getting them myself, but I want to get rear LED turn signals as well -- are these lights applicable to the front AND the rear?  

Has anyone bought these? Kind of expensive but they look super bright 
Proton 500

EN187 on YouTube has a video of them on his Z125 and I really like them. Might pick up a set
Did you end up getting these and installing?  If so, how did you like them?  I'm looking at getting them myself, but I want to get rear LED turn signals as well -- are these lights applicable to the front AND the rear?  
I will be getting them, just not yet. Still pretty wintery in MI. Here's another motovlogger with an FZ-07 installing them on his bike. They look crazy bright.

I don't think that I would put them on the rear though, but as bright as they are they might work... 

• 2 weeks later...
Musical Motorist
I will be getting them, just not yet. Still pretty wintery in MI. Here's another motovlogger with an FZ-07 installing them on his bike. They look crazy bright. 

I don't think that I would put them on the rear though, but as bright as they are they might work...

I actually called HighTechSpeed and talked with one of their representatives for quite a while and he said that while a lot of people don't generally get the rear signals, they buy the FZ-10's or CBR600's for the rear since the shape of their flush mounts is quite different. I found it kind of odd that you'd buy a different model's turn signals for the back, but after he sent the PDFs of the mounts (actual size) I understood his point; considering their excellent customer service, it definitely seems worth investing since they'll do exchanges/returns etc. Anyhow, I will post pictures once I get them (it's good to get paid first...)
Also, I'm down in Tucson AZ where it's in the 30s but NO SNOW!  :D 

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI, I got these installed today. I couldn't be happier with them. They look great and are blinding bright. You can change the flash pattern and even the running light brightness/fade in/out. A++

I bought protons years ago for my super hawk. I was disappointed that the cool finish just rubbed off to reveal clear plastic lens. Didn't look so cool then. Mabe there better now. Get a little WD40 on them and see.

I bought protons years ago for my super hawk. I was disappointed that the cool finish just rubbed off to reveal clear plastic lens. Didn't look so cool then. Mabe there better now. Get a little WD40 on them and see.
There is no finish on the flushmounts for the FZ-07. They're clear acrylic

Archived