The MT-07 Forum

Craig's FZ-07 Track Bike Build Thread

blackout

Hideous? Yeah, sounds like a FB comment. As you know there are many exhausts like that on high-end bikes. I think it looks good. The only thing I would change would be to alter the angle so that it matches the flow of the seat a little (angled the same way).

Good idea on trading volume and distance to mellow the tone without the need for the db killer. I have the semi-long Arrow, and I do like the sound, but it's still on the loud side with the db killer out.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Hideous? Yeah, sounds like a FB comment. As you know there are many exhausts like that on high-end bikes. I think it looks good. The only thing I would change would be to alter the angle so that it matches the flow of the seat a little (angled the same way). 
Good idea on trading volume and distance to mellow the tone without the need for the db killer. I have the semi-long Arrow, and I do like the sound, but it's still on the loud side with the db killer out.
Well, the current angle is what packaged best, so it is what it is.  :)   
I think the rider will hear less noise from the exhausts that exit farther back.  But we will see....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Not very exciting, but I welded threaded inserts in my drag bars so that I can use the Woodcraft bar end sliders.  The brass sleeve brings the drag bar i.d. to the same o.d. as the Woodcraft bar ends.  A length of the correct brass sleeve can be found at a good hobby shop, no lathe was used.  And steel rod for the threaded insert was purchased from McMaster-Carr at the correct O.D., again no lathe was used.

0225172036_zpskh6k5ycm.jpg

0225171450_zpsrwcpdrby.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Learning to TIG weld takes time and patience.  LOL  So anyways, I finished welding the exhaust pipe.  Hoping it fits just like it did when it was tacked.  Sometimes the final welding can move things around a little.

tyga%20pipe_zpsvxh4uplv.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 weeks later...
versysrider

Great job, I like that you are actually building it yourself.

I agree with "sansnobre" in regards to the exhaust matching the flow of the tail. The length of the silencer wouldn't be my choice, not that it matters as I'm not the owner/builder. But if you've thought about cutting it down, it's easy and fairly quick. When my son had an '05 SV 650 with a long Yosh can on it, we cut it nearly in half, and the volume didn't seem to increase at all. There was no noticeable difference in performance either even with stock mapping. We liked the looks much better, and did the same mod to 2 other SV's we rode with.

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing it done.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

• Premium Member

Video of the exhaust done....  Tyga actual makes a can longer that what I chose.  They also make a shorter oval carbon fiber can that most would like I bet.  But this can was cheaper and I'm sure quieter.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Dual LED PIAA headlamps work....

PIAA_zps8snizhim.jpg

First coat of gelcoat on the head fairing plug.  The snow is pretty much gone here.  I'm hoping to have the head fairing mold finished by the weekend, so I can layup some carbon fiber this weekend.

plug2_zpswnyimknu.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Well, I just realized all my photos are gone because of site security changes. Whisky Tango Foxtrot. Oh well, no more updates I guess.....

Edit:  Well never mind.  My photos are back.  I must be going crazy.....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Well, I just realized all my photos are gone because of site security changes. Whisky Tango Foxtrot. Oh well, no more updates I guess..... 

Yeah, please no more photo-bucket pics. Unsecure, and I suggest avoiding photo-bucket. Please use our "add image to post" button. I have been posting and asking everyone to use this since last year.

• Premium Member
Yeah, please no more photo-bucket pics. Unsecure, and I suggest avoiding photo-bucket. Please use our "add image to post" button. I have been posting and asking everyone to use this since last year.
Will do.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

0416171359.jpg

how do i upload pictures

I lowered the lights 2 inches and added the supports for the fairing.  The fairing is mostly done, just a couple more days.  Been riding with no front signals on the super nice days.  The molding process had some hiccups, but it turned out o.k.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Love the quality of your work! The headlight looks, in the picture, as are they right above the fender. Probably just the angle.

• Premium Member
Love the quality of your work! The headlight looks, in the picture, as are they right above the fender. Probably just the angle.

Thanks. Headlights are about 6" above the fender.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

0408171005.jpg

0408171447.jpg

0408171709.jpg

0410170614.jpg

Shots of the mold, carbon fiber 2x2 twill fabric, carbon fiber layed up in the mold, and the head fairing out of the mold before trimming.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

0422171922.jpg

0422172021.jpg

0423171125a.jpg

0423171126.jpg

0423171126a.jpg

Head faring done for the most part.  Went for a ride and it does the job quite well.  I do like the dash forward as it makes it much easier to see without taking your eyes off the road too much.  The turn signals are Proton 500's and they are nice and bright.

upload photo to website

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I would be lying if I said I think the fairing improved the bike's looks, but functionally you seem to have gained a lot; wind protection, better lights and easier to read instruments. Also seems like you have managed to get a nice interface between the fairing and screen. Well done!

• Premium Member
I would be lying if I said I think the fairing improved the bike's looks, but functionally you seem to have gained a lot; wind protection, better lights and easier to read instruments. Also seems like you have managed to get a nice interface between the fairing and screen. Well done!
Yah, not sure why I even posted on Facebook.  LOL  The wind protection is fantastic and that is what I wanted.  With the head faring, the windscreen is mounted farther forward so it does a better job of pushing the wind up and over the riders head.  Otherwise, the FZ-07 needs a tall windscreen mounted at close to a 90 degree angle to achieve the same results.  And that only increases drag. 
Might sound crazy, but I swear it looks better in person.  Crazy, right.  But I had the same reaction when I first saw the FZ-10 in person; it looked way better than in the photos.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

While the front fairing looks odd, there has been a significant improvement in wind protection and confidence at speed.  While it sure could be in my head, the front feels more planted at speed.  I suspect that is from both the K-Tech cartridges and the added down force from the head fairing.  I have begun playing with the settings on the forks using a zip tie to measure travel.  Right now I have about 1.2 inches of rider sag and am using a total of 3" of suspension travel riding on the street in a spirited fashon.  I have 2" to spare and imagine some of that would get used up on the track as I learn to ride the bike better.  I will be playing with the compression and rebound settings soon.  So far, I like the K-tech cartridges.

Back to my head fairing, there will be an attempt to make it match the bike better.  I ordered some satin black epoxy paint and will give that a try.  The natural carbon fiber does not match well with the bike, especially in the sun light, where it almost sparkles.  I'm also moving the lights back and up a little to hide them in the fairing better.

0429171208.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 3 weeks later...

OK. A lot of stuff to make up time on as I manage to miss this thread completely.
Your ideas are very similar to mine. And different enough to be interesting .
If I can get the cam angles I will calculate the proper lengths for our bike. I really need to degree it but finding the time is next to impossible at the moment. The good news is, if you are interested, that because of the way you designed it, at the most you would have to shorten the tail pipe and change the length of the headers to get it right. Then move the muffler mount.
The Tyga carbom oval can is quieter than the metal ones. I tried both on my Husky tr650. Ended up with the carbon one. It is incredibly light. Tyga are so good at making stuff. Ignore the naysayers , I prefer the longer pipe over the ridiculously short stock "MotoGP stubby look like". With the camming on this, a short pipe is just plain WRONG, tuning wise. Akra's snail pipe is like that for a very good reason. If you want I can measure the header/tail lengths and you can see if you want to emulate them.

On the fairing front I have an idea you might like to consider. Have a look at the MotoGP KTM new fairing that generates downforce. It would be a simple design along your design lines and looks good. They have reported it works well with ( unlike the other factories internal generators) NO drawbacks. http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2017/05/10/ktm-huge-progress-in-jerez/227951. I see this design type actually trickling down to road bikes, if they are smart.

If you were not so far away,I would send you a copy of the Cagiva mod fairing I have constructed to try, but it is a bit far.
BTW you can change the effective stroke you need for the steering damper by changing the distance from the steering axis.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
OK. A lot of stuff to make up time on as I manage to miss this thread completely. Your ideas are very similar to mine. And different enough to be interesting .
If I can get the cam angles I will calculate the proper lengths for our bike. I really need to degree it but finding the time is next to impossible at the moment. The good news is, if you are interested, that because of the way you designed it, at the most you would have to shorten the tail pipe and change the length of the headers to get it right. Then move the muffler mount.
The Tyga carbom oval can is quieter than the metal ones. I tried both on my Husky tr650. Ended up with the carbon one. It is incredibly light. Tyga are so good at making stuff. Ignore the naysayers , I prefer the longer pipe over the ridiculously short stock "MotoGP stubby look like". With the camming on this, a short pipe is just plain WRONG, tuning wise. Akra's snail pipe is like that for a very good reason. If you want I can measure the header/tail lengths and you can see if you want to emulate them.

On the fairing front I have an idea you might like to consider. Have a look at the MotoGP KTM new fairing that generates downforce. It would be a simple design along your design lines and looks good. They have reported it works well with ( unlike the other factories internal generators) NO drawbacks. http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2017/05/10/ktm-huge-progress-in-jerez/227951. I see this design type actually trickling down to road bikes, if they are smart.

If you were not so far away,I would send you a copy of the Cagiva mod fairing I have constructed to try, but it is a bit far.
BTW you can change the effective stroke you need for the steering damper by changing the distance from the steering axis.

Good info!  Thanks!  Here is another picture, just got back from a fun ride.  Going to install the FTECU Data-Link tomorrow. 0520171732a.jpg

good image hosting site

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Creating downforce from a fairing isn't easy, I am led to belive. It's been decades since I last had interest in the topic, admittedly, but as I recall, the fairings at best reduced the lift of the front at high speeds by a significant amount, but none managed to increase the pressure on the front wheel/suspension as speed increased compared to static. Have these things changed?

• Premium Member
Creating downforce from a fairing isn't easy, I am led to belive. It's been decades since I last had interest in the topic, admittedly, but as I recall, the fairings at best reduced the lift of the front at high speeds by a significant amount, but none managed to increase the pressure on the front wheel/suspension as speed increased compared to static. Have these things changed?
My short answer.  Reduce lift, create downforce, same difference.  :)   Naked bikes used to have head fairings. I think in a few years they will again.  At speed, a rider creates major drag that pushes the back of the bike down and lifts the front.  Not a safe scenario at all.  But maybe I'm just thinking too much....  lol

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I agree with you once again. People may start to talk...I have been beating on about the rider drag vector lifting the front for ages. Move the drag forward and down ( even the SAME drag) and it doesn't produce as much rotation around the centre of gravity ie. less frontal lift.
Yes the KTM fairing has been shown in the wind tunnel to produce a reasonable and useful downforce , without some of the negative effects of the internal once the others are trying. Now that is at 300kph, so some remodelling would be necessary to work at say 80-200kph so as the force is the square of the speed it may not be workable, but maybe it is?
I believe Brittan's bike did as well until half the stuff was banned because the factories didn't have the tech.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

If I can get the cam angles I will calculate the proper lengths for our bike. I really need to degree it but finding the time is next to impossible at the moment. 

Found this, but no clue as to what modifications they can offer - they only state "regrind to factory spec", although they do offer valve springs and -lifters. 
http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_blank.html?pages/degreeing.html

Megacycle doesn't seem to even feature our model

http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog_optimized.pdf

Archived