The MT-07 Forum

Craig's FZ-07 Track Bike Build Thread

blackout

• Premium Member

I put 5,400 street miles on my FZ-07 this season and will spend the winter prepping the bike for some track riding at the New York Safety Track.  I'll cover the mods on this thread.  Feel free to offer any input.  Thanks for watching.  :)

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

What I'm working on currently is to design and mold a custom front fairing that uses a FZ1 windscreen. The fairing will be rigid and simple in design. The current plan is to use the stock head light to keep costs down. This bike will continue to be ridden on the street. The new fairing will add wind protection for me and add down force to the front of the bike which I think is important at high speeds. With the new fairing, I can move the dash forward in better view. Shown below are pictures of the progress so far. The custom dash plate is cut from 1/8" thick 6061 aluminum. A hack saw, large file, and small drill press got the job done pretty easily.

gauge1_zpsaant98gs.jpg

gauge2_zpszeojfw7s.jpg

gauge3_zpsmlkn8kop.jpg

gauge4_zpsfiziroev.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Subbed. I like your bracket. Wanna sell me one?! Also, you going naked style or track fairings? I use stock body work with a buell head fairing.

• Premium Member
Subbed. I like your bracket. Wanna sell me one?! Also, you going naked style or track fairings? I use stock body work with a buell head fairing.
Thanks! 
The bike will remain naked except for the front fairing/windscreen.  

I have thought about selling some of the parts as I already have a hobby business selling suspension parts for the FFR cobra replica, but I am terribly busy in my regular job right now and would need to make the time to move forward.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Here is the front fairing stay so far.  Also part of the stay is the mount for the Ohlins steering damper.  The damper will be arriving in the mail tomorrow.  I'm hoping it mounts up fine or I may need to make a length change to the tab.  The stay tube is made from 1" square, 1/8" wall 6061 aluminum.  The tabs for the steering damper is stainless steel, not aluminum.  They are bolted to the aluminum block and shaft collar on the fork.  The two shaft collars are from McMaster-Carr.

fairing%20stay1_zpsl0nyhhgp.jpg

fairing%20stay2_zps2bjchixf.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Here is the Ohlins steering damper installed.  It's their 90mm stroke universal model.  I have about 10 mm's of spare stroke with the steering limited with 1/4" blocks on each side of the steering stop.  90mm's of stroke would have been too short without limiting the steering.  Their next size down is 68mm and their next size up is 120mm.  120mm would have been too wide for a front mount setup.  I test rode the bike with the steering limited on city streets and parking lots and noticed no problems.

damper1_zpsps34qnxm.jpg

damper2_zpsimw3rxes.jpg

damper3_zpsxmmjs7qi.jpg

damper4_zpsvjtnvrda.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Good friend of mine does quite a few track days at NYST. You might have seen his tent. NotJustPaint

-Chris
Central Roadracing Association #286E

• Premium Member
Good friend of mine does quite a few track days at NYST. You might have seen his tent. NotJustPaint
I have not been to NYST, but I will look out for him next year.  Actually, I am completely new to track riding motorbikes, but it is something that I am sure I will get hooked on.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Here is the suspension link that I fabbed over the summer.  It has about 2,000 miles on it.  So far so good.  It raised the rear 5/8".  I went my own route because I'm a little short for the off the shelf links.  This design allows me to make small changes to rear ride height if needed.  The Nitron R3 shock was added over the summer as well.  My fork internals are still stock, I'll need to do something this winter.

0828160958_zpssl3gkqpr.jpg

0828161519_zps9pxfjlv2.jpg

0828161649_zpsopdrjsbx.jpg

The Nitron R3 shock showing the reservoir with the manufacturer included mounting bracket.

0806161718b_zpskvtg85j8.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I decided to go with 2.75" diameter PIAA driving lights.  I think they will be easier to make work with a front fairing.  They are mounted rigid to the bottom of the faring stay.  This way I can align them without the front fairing installed, giving easier access to the bolts.  Looking pretty goofy right now.  lol

1218162010a_zps7xbx4aq2.jpg

1218162010_zpszojcvdxk.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

And the shaping is mostly done on the head fairing plug and it looks goofy as well.  LOL  But, I think the final part molded in carbon fiber with the dual PIAA head lights installed should look pretty cool.  I'm hoping.  :)

1230161806a_zpsejyrahvr.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

An update on the steering damper. With the damper installed I was able to take more exact stroke measurements and it turns out only 61mm of stroke is being used with my steering limited with the 1/4" blocks. I had measured 75mm or so before purchasing the damper. This means the Ohlins 68mm damper would work. Also, a used front mounted damper could be purchased from people who upgrade on their bikes.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I decided to do something different with the exhaust.  Here is the Tyga silencer mocked up.  I'm using the stock headers and will TIG weld some mandrel bent pipe sections from the headers to the silencer.  Tyga had several silencer options including carbon fiber, but I chose to save money and go with this stainless silencer.  I decided on 1.75" O.D. tubing, but Tyga has 2" slip on silencers as well.  For those that do not know about Tyga, they are in Thailand and specialize in 2 stroke and smaller 4 stroke bikes.  They have no kits for the FZ-07, but their silencers are priced reasonably and they give all the dimensions needed for those that are looking to do something custom.  I can't say this for anyone else.  My first impressions, the workmanship is top notch, but we'll see how well it does in the long term. 

tyga_zpsdrlu7yyg.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

The silencer tucks in above the swingarm.  I'll have to pay attention to any clearance issues.  I'll most likely use some pie cuts to get the exhaust pipe out and around the swingarm.  Also, the passenger pegs will not work with this setup.

tyga2_zpsoi82sivk.jpg    

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I started preparing the head fairing plug to make the mold for the final part.  The green stuff is a epoxy filler that will be block sanded smooth to form the final shape.  While this is my first time making a mold for a carbon fiber part, I have worked with fiberglass and carbon fiber over the years on other projects.

0120170629_zpswk7pwiqe.jpg

0120170631_zpsbutixs03.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The forks are off and will be sent to Hord Power for some K-Tech cartridges.  The Pit Bull front stand with their [HASH]33 pin works great.

0201172155_zps6ycy0oxh.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I finally have the mandrel bends cut to size and tacked in place.  There is plenty of room for a full length belly pan.  The tubing is bent down at the silencer to give plenty of room when riding on your balls of your feet. 

tyga1_zpsvauz6d9m.jpg

tyga2_zpszmyqya2g.jpg

Front forks with K-Tech cartridges installed by Hordpower.

ids%20fork%20caps_zpsyh4ptede.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Curious how you're validating the exhaust design, or are you just getting it out of the way from the tarmac? It looks longish for track work. How are you handling jetting - EJK, reflash, PCV? Dyno?

Just curious . . .

Nice job on everything else. Looks good.

• Premium Member
Curious how you're validating the exhaust design, or are you just getting it out of the way from the tarmac? It looks longish for track work. How are you handling jetting - EJK, reflash, PCV? Dyno? 
Just curious . . .

Nice job on everything else. Looks good.

Funny you ask as it seems most don't like the look of the exhaust. It was called hideous on Facebook. Lol. I wanted a silencer that was long enough to do it's job without a db killer that would only add restriction to reduce sound levels. To do that the silencer would need to be mounted in the once standard location for a motorcycle silencer.

There are other reasons as well including the ease of a functional belly pan if I ever get real serious about tracking. A functional belly pan would catch oil if the engine blows on the track.

I plan to use a common flash for another exhaust and then have it dyno tuned later.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Archived