The MT-07 Forum

Lo warning

aecker22

• Global Moderator

In fact, a lot of cars (like Toyota) have a shockingly high idle when you start it, up to 3000 rpm or more. It almost feels like you are hurting it but the manufacturer concluded that a high idle warms up the engine faster and ensures a quick and full lubrication of all engine parts, which increases the longevity of the motor.

What he said.

The Lo is not for ambient temperature it is for coolant temp. Until the coolant temp reaches 106 degrees it will say low. Always try to warm up your bike to the min temp before riding. It's only displayed under the temp menu.

It's difficult to really explain this. I'm a mechanic, work for Bmw, cars. The reason I suggested to let the bike warm up a bit is because cars are so much different then bikes. Bike engines, run at higher rpm, are more powerful, relative to size, and need maintenance in closer intervals. Car cooling systems are way more complex I didn't mean, run bike until it gets to riding temp, somewhere around 180 degrees. I meant where the thermostat reaches 106. Don't actually wait, just enough time to out on your helmet and gloves. Majority of an engines wear, friction, happens at start up, when the cylinders are deprived of oil.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
What he said.  

The Lo is not for ambient temperature it is for coolant temp. Until the coolant temp reaches 106 degrees it will say low. Always try to warm up your bike to the min temp before riding. It's only displayed under the temp menu.
In the FZ-07 service manual (page shown in earlier posting in this thread), it clearly states that the "Lo" shows up when the ambient temp is below 14 degrees Fahrenheit (rare) or when the coolant is below 104 degrees Fahrenheit (more common). If it is related to ambient temp it will show the word air to the left of the Lo warning. 

What he said.  

In the FZ-07 service manual (page shown in earlier posting in this thread), it clearly states that the "Lo" shows up when the ambient temp is below 14 degrees Fahrenheit (rare) or when the coolant is below 104 degrees Fahrenheit (more common). If it is related to ambient temp it will show the word air to the left of the Lo warning. 

I was referring to his situation, he said it was 75 degrees outside when it was on

• Global Moderator

I think we are over analyzing the whole engine warmup procedure. There is no need to wait until the gauge LO indicator is gone. It's just that the coolant temperature has not reached 104F. Just start the engine, put on your helmet and gloves, hop on and ride. And don't rev the p!ss when it is still not fully warned up. Engines nowadays warm up quickly.

As for the gauge itself. There are two temp reading when you scroll through the menu using those little buttons. One for the engine temperature and one for the outside air temperature. Like @jhonore said, if the ambient temp is below 14F you will see Lo and if the engine temp is below 104F you will see Lo there too.

• Global Moderator
Why does this thread have three pages????? LOL
This is nothing.  We have 13 pages on removing a sticker.  (rofl)

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I thought the "Lo" indicator meant Lean More....

SigSide.jpg

Why does this thread have three pages????? LOL
Haven't you heard, it takes a village to raise a noob. ;) 

Beemer

• Global Moderator

And to think that LO is not even a word that is used much in modern speak.

I mean we all know that it is a natural exclamation: first recorded as lā in Old English; reinforced in Middle English by a shortened form of loke ‘look!’, imperative of look. And that we of course use it to draw attention to an interesting or amazing event (and lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them). But I don't think Yamaha meant to use LO that way.  :P

• Premium Member
I think they use "LO" because you can spell those letters with the LCD segment number display.
True but I think they should have gone with "LOE" instead since it sounds more like "LOW" than "LO" does. just sayin' :D

It they had made it display down to 0
then everyone would have got it and they
could likely save the extra price if any
by not having to print a expernation.

• Global Moderator

Let's see how many posts we can make about the Lo warning  :D

• Global Moderator

Maybe this post pushes it to page 4 !

Edit... Darn, I was wrong

I think they use "LO" because you can spell those letters with the LCD segment number display.
True but I think they should have gone with "LOE" instead since it sounds more like "LOW" than "LO" does. just sayin' :D

Who u calling a loe?

• Global Moderator

I'm emotional too.. Although I have to say that the thread started on August 30th 2014. And on this Saturday, nothing significant happened (apart from this glorious thread start of course)

Archived