The MT-07 Forum

Peculiar letter to the ed., Dec/Jan '17 Motorcyclist

avanti

• Premium Member

The new Motorcyclist rag arrived this morning and I found at least a couple of "interesting" (odd?) things in it.  However, I might direct your attention to the last letter to the editor at the bottom-right of page 17. 

The writer said he bought a new FZ-10, rode it about three weeks (212 miles), and the check engine light came on; sooooooo... he traded it in on a 07 because of lack of engine power/poor engine performance (in a nutshell).  Essentially, the editor responded by totally ignoring the "check engine" light issue and whatever it might have signified, which I thought this particularly ODD since: 1) the writer stated that this issue precipitated the trade, and 2) the engine power was "...anemic."

Yet, the relevant info for us was the editor's brief comment, "...but you won't catch us arguing with an FZ-07..."

The other issue a quick scan disclosed... simply waaaaaaay too illogical to even bother with.  

A belated Happy Turkey Day to ALL!!!

The writer said he bought a new FZ-10, rode it about three weeks (212 miles)
jeezus, we did 200 miles in a 6hr group ride.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Well, pattonme... not all who own bikes get the chance to ride as much as they might like, nor as much as many others... for lots of reasons. I must confess that my riding varies tremendously based on many factors, to the point that my 07 is ALMOST officially broken in and I've owned it a year and a half!

• Global Moderator

If he had more power on the FZ-07 then there was something wrong with his FZ-10. My guess is the engine light was on because there was an issue that put it into a "limp-home" mode. It is unfortunate that the dealership that would rather sell him a new bike than fix his current one.

• Premium Member

Typically, it all boils down to what brings in the most bucks for the dealership... and most others. Were I starting my psychological research career anew, I'd spend it studying GREED!!!  And, ironically... or maybe bizarrely, the magazine editor never mentioned what we might consider an "obvious" problem with his 10

Many riders seem to have a aversion to taking it back even when it's a few days old and saying that's not right fix it.
But to be honest for the guy to write that maybe the edd and dealer were just taking the path of least resistance.
Often it's the rider that needs fixing not the bike.

Archived