The MT-07 Forum

Fork pre load adjusters just arrived

rhb

I just received these in the mail today, I have to say they look high quality, they are Chinese, But I think all are made in China and rebadged anyway. Unlike Brand A that cost 100 bucks they include the new set of O-rings, Pleased about that, the cost was 35 bucks.
The plan is to uncap the forks add some additional 10 weight oil and install the adjusters, if rebound and damping is still not what I like I will drain the forks and ad 15 weight fork oil.

Her is a link to the Ebay vendor I used if interested.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2046448.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfz07+fork+preload+adjusters.TRS0&_nkw=fz07+fork+preload+adjusters&_sacat=0
 There are many of these and some are the same, from different stores, some are not.

IMG_20161124_101807.jpg

IMG_20161124_102348.jpg

IMG_20161124_102153.jpg

35$ for preload? Count me in. Im all about saving a few bucks by getting an unbadged part. Let us know how the install goes' if there ar e any leaks, etc.

Do you have the link to these so others can buy it too?

quote author="@rhb" source="/post/105248/thread" date=1479979241]I just received these in the mail today, I have to say they look high quality, they are Chinese, But I think all are made in China and rebadged anyway. Unlike Brand A that cost 100 bucks they include the new set of O-rings, Pleased about that, the cost was 35 bucks.
The plan is to uncap the forks add some additional 10 weight oil and install the adjusters, if rebound and damping is still not what I like I will drain the forks and ad 15 weight fork oil.

IMG_20161124_101807.jpg

IMG_20161124_102348.jpg

IMG_20161124_102153.jpg

what matters is if there is an o-ring for the Silver part. Can you screw it all the way down and the 2 pieces come apart?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

what matters is if there is an o-ring for the Silver part. Can you screw it all the way down and the 2 pieces come apart?
Look in the second picture it is already screwed in the extreme up position showing the important O-ring, and yes there is an E clip on the bottom if you want to disassemble the unit which I will do to put some lubrication/anti seize on the threads. These seem to be tight and of high quality, but for sure there is no way to know without banging them if they are actually 6061 T6. and even then... In any event without spending a fortune it is a good way to learn what pre-load adjustment (and more oil) can do for the suspension, then if I really want to spend some bucks, go to cartridges for damping and rebound if I think for my style of riding it is necessary.

Here is another pic I took this morning.
preload%20dis.jpg

As an aside this company also makes the rear spool adapters I spoke about in another post.

think I would just use fork oil (or maybe silicone grease) on the threads and all o-rings as whatever else you put there will eventually get washed away anyway.

Invest in a deep well socket and give big nut a wrap of some tape to protect the finish

Do you have the link to these so others can buy it too?  

I just edited the lead post to include a link. :)

Please, can you check the link? I can't see your preload adjuster, in eBay...
Thank you!

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

It's odd... this link goes to the same page of the link in the first post.
I've also searched "fz07 fork preload adjusters" in eBay.it and in the ebay.com... I can't find this adjuster.

Please, do you can tell us who is the seller?

www.MT-Series.it

Looks like they are all coming from Hong Kong one seller is "thefastgear" http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fork-Silver-Preload-Adjusters-Fit-Yamaha-MT-07-FZ-07-14-15-/131549233950?hash=item1ea0f2031e:g:E5oAAOSwT6pVllQy&vxp=mtr the other is called "mfactory" http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-Yamaha-MT-07-FZ-07-14-15-Black-Billet-Fork-Preload-Adjusters-Stabilizer-/351680233347?hash=item51e1c67f83:g:OucAAOSwxp9W6uOq&vxp=mtr

what device are you using that won't open these links - and are you at work? My work will not allow me to see anything that's ebay.

These links work!
Thank you, @rick!
BTW, I was surfing the web at home, and the previous links was to eBay, but to a generic list of object related to the "preload adjuster", but not to the object of this thread.
Now it's all right, for me.

www.MT-Series.it

Sorry for any mix up. You know Ebay has a way of altering results of searches sometimes. I changed the link yesterday to show a list of various preload adjusters so there would be something for future readers to choose from, as the specific listing I will put here may expire.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131549233950?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
these are what I bought, whether you get o rings or not is a crap shoot, the listing did not indicate they were included, but there they were in the box. Also I ordered from Fast Gear and actually received a box with MC Motorparts on the box. So the upshot is that they are the same product. These all come out of the same factory, but are sold by different shops, some rebadged, some not. Pick the best price.
I also changed the link in the first post so you could see the various colors available. I checked all the above links and for me they all work, bringing up the exact same product, but with different names. In the general search you will see some oddball or different models, but they are easy to tell the difference.

IMG_20161124_101706.jpg

Installation going on as we speak, half done.

no need to jack up bike, just do one at a time. you can lean or lift front slightly to relieve pressure if needed, really there is not much force on the spring, but only loosen one fork at a time!
IMG_20161126_102644.jpg

IMG_20161126_102625.jpg

original O-ring and "free" O ring, I reused original
IMG_20161126_102901.jpg

IMG_20161126_102637.jpg

used syringe and tube to add 10cc of 10W fork oil, checked for compatibility first.
IMG_20161126_102702.jpg

installed
IMG_20161126_104249.jpg

IMG_20161126_104412.jpg

They work great. I used these in conjunction with racetech springs and now the front and rear suspension suck equally.
Well, there is some truth to that, but the big improvement was the front not being mushy and searching in corners, and so much diving on braking. these inexpensive fixes only take you so far, but if you are just commuting and going for Sunday rides it may be all you need. 
warning opinion follows:
Suspension tuning is not an exact science, more of an art. Extreme adjustability requires high end components, but if you don't need fine tuning for track riding well, you don't need the most pricey shocks available. and highly its dependent on how you ride, what you know you need, and your weight. there obviously is no one fix suits everyone.

Having installed the pre-adjusters with stock springs and 10cc more 10 weight oil in each fork leg, at 175 pounds the front for me is on the stiff side, about 28mm of rider sag, That's on the lowest setting which is 10mm more than stock.The rear shock can also only be adjusted for preload so you are kinda stuck. I settled on notch 5 which gives me about 32mm of rider sag, which roughly matches the front, its the best I can do.( unless I decide to remove some of the oil) Numbers only give you a reference point I realize. so I have to ride it a lot and see if this setting suits the riding and roads I do. So far it seems slightly stiff to me, but handles well as far as I can tell. need a lot more miles to really know. But A rear shock is in my future I think. The front has definitely been improved based on my riding so far.

What kind of tool fits to mount and adjust these?

When you say "on the stiff side" do you then mean firm but functioning or stiff like bouncing in stead of damping?
Would you recommend not adding the extra oil?

I'm about the same weight as you and looking for improvement for a cheap cost.

I only wanted to change one thing at once so I did springs first, and when that wasn't quite it, I added the adjusters.
I haven't messed with the oil yet.
The bike seems balanced front to back.

What kind of tool fits to mount and adjust these? 
When you say "on the stiff side" do you then mean firm but functioning or stiff like bouncing in stead of damping?
Would you recommend not adding the extra oil?

I'm about the same weight as you and looking for improvement for a cheap cost.
you need allen wrenches, and I think a 27mm and a 22mm socket wrench for the install, and depending on which brand you buy. 13 or 17mm to adjust. Too early to give you my thorough opinion i only have a few kilometers under my belt. I would try it without oil, then its easy to add later. (then maybe you can get away with 5 clicks on the rear preload to match the front.There is not much tension on the caps, I can thread them on by hand easily. and you don't need to jack the bike just do one at a time.
The front is working well, the back is ok and when I say stiff, i mean so far, functioning well on smooth corners but a little bumpy on highway irregularities. not too bouncy but, definitely lacking in rebound damping on the rear. Mine is at about 30mm front and rear rider sag, which by some opinions is a firm set up for the street, others say in is OK, depends on you really. You have to experiment for yourself.

Archived