The MT-07 Forum

Anyone upgrade to a fz10?

botticelli

• Premium Member

has anyone gone to an Fz10? If so, why? What are your goods and bads?

I have ridden the bike on 2 test rides now, with one being back to back with the new R1. I have also ridden a friends new R1 that I was able to ride a bit more throttle heavy then the dealer approved testing loop. I have not had the chance to rip an FZ10 but really really want to. R1 had better brakes, but they both were A+ rides.

Anyone in LA want to let me take it for a spin?

'16 FZ07

8LHe3Xe.jpg
no doubt a nice bike but got a face only a mother could love.lol
and that oil cooler what a stupid place to put it.
I'll be that'll get replace every couple of years.in direct line of all stones etc chucked up from the wheel.

At least relocating an oil cooler is a simple task.. At worse you drop into a hydraulics shop and get them to extend the line by an inch or 2.

The insane side of me really wants one. However my wallet and the side of me that enjoys not being inside a tree keeps saying no.

• Premium Member
8LHe3Xe.jpg no doubt a nice bike but got a face only a mother could love.lol
and that oil cooler what a stupid place to put it.
I'll be that'll get replace every couple of years.in direct line of all stones etc chucked up from the wheel.
Wow, from that angle, that really is a hideous contraption. I'm sure the looks would grow on you though, if the bike rides better than it looks. 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

reboot, I'm with you I think the bike is a total looker, and honestly it looks different and awesome from every other super naked.

Look wise it rules, just curious is anyone could offer-up some performance downsides.

~Pete

'16 FZ07

• Premium Member
have you checked out our sister site? fz10.org
I have poked around there but the user base seems quite limited. 

'16 FZ07

have you checked out our sister site? fz10.org
I have poked around there but the user base seems quite limited. 

Yeah, it's a new bike so posting would still be limited, you posting about the fz10 is how we get it rocking. We get 400 visitors a day there, people posting everyday, need more please feel free to get a conversation on the fz10 on fz10.org. We have two so far who upgraded from the fz07 to fz10.

Anyone who joins and says hi on our fz10 forum would be doing me a favor until spring comes and we get couple thousand new owners.

Might even do a contest..

It looks much better in person, although still looks a bit chubby. Would love to see when it comes out in Blurple. Will keep my eyes on this when when I decide to upgrade in the future.

I'm always amused when people automatically think that a more expensive bike is an "upgrade". This past spring/summer I had in my garage a 2014 BMW S1000R, 2014 Ducati HyperMotard 821, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, and 2 Yamaha FZ-09's (2014 & 2015). I sold three of them and gave one to my son, because none of them were nearly as "FUN" as my FZ-09's. My son agreed, and got the FZ-09 that was fully sorted. I bought an FZ-07 to go with the 09, and that is equally as fun as the 09. The Ducati would have been the only one other than the Yamaha's I would have kept long term if it hadn't been for it's useability quirks and reliability problems/service costs. The Hyper was just as fun as the Yam's, but after 2 years I didn't want the risk of something happening out of warranty. Don't think I'll ever own another Duc, too many issues, too high maintenance. Aside from that, I do miss the BMW's factory cruise control, quick shifter, and heated grips.

So while an FZ-10 may have some better components and more power, I personally don't consider it an "upgrade", and after buying one, some owners may not either. More power and gadgets does not mean a better bike.

Being an aggressive street rider I do wish Yamaha and the rest of the "big 4" (Japanese manufactures) would offer "R" models with USD fully adjustable cartridge forks, radial mount brakes, and a fully adjustable rear shock. I'd gladly pay extra for suspension and brakes already in use on other models. Nothing beats Japanese reliability, longevity, and ease of ownership. I'm not sure I'll ever own anything other than Japanese bikes from now on, but I'm sure looking forward to the KTM 790 Duke, too bad it won't be available 'till the 2018 model year or later. I'm hoping the 790 Duke will weigh as little as the FZ-07. "Light is Right".

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

• Premium Member

Versysrider,

My number one reason for the upgrade is suspension. I'm a heavy dude(230 in gear) and I ride / commute the street daily and the canyons / Mountains at least every other weekend. I would call myself aggressive on the street, but not overly so. I'm at the back of the fast group.

You said it your self.... " USD fully adjustable cartridge forks, radial mount brakes, and a fully adjustable rear shock. I'd gladly pay extra for suspension and brakes already in use on other models"

You would pay extra for those things, and so would I... BUT since there is no FZ-07-R, its looking like it might make more sense for me to "upgrade" or change bikes rather than pay the $$ to put aftermarket / or not the best solutions onto the FZ-07.

Just where I'm at. Do I need all the power of the FZ10? Nope not at all, but it has all the fully adjustable suspension and Japanese reliability I'm after. I did ride the FZ09 when looking at the 07, and ts an option too.

Honestly totally agree on the Duc's I had a 748 for years and it was ALWAYS broken. When it worked it was pure magic, but it just loved the dealer more than me :-( ...out of warranty engine work on a ducati is bad for your bank account.

I'm not one for fancy features, but heated grips do sound nice these days.
~Pete

I'm always amused when people automatically think that a more expensive bike is an "upgrade". This past spring/summer I had in my garage a 2014 BMW S1000R, 2014 Ducati HyperMotard 821, 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure, and 2 Yamaha FZ-09's (2014 & 2015). I sold three of them and gave one to my son, because none of them were nearly as "FUN" as my FZ-09's. My son agreed, and got the FZ-09 that was fully sorted. I bought an FZ-07 to go with the 09, and that is equally as fun as the 09. The Ducati would have been the only one other than the Yamaha's I would have kept long term if it hadn't been for it's useability quirks and reliability problems/service costs. The Hyper was just as fun as the Yam's, but after 2 years I didn't want the risk of something happening out of warranty. Don't think I'll ever own another Duc, too many issues, too high maintenance. Aside from that, I do miss the BMW's factory cruise control, quick shifter, and heated grips. 
So while an FZ-10 may have some better components and more power, I personally don't consider it an "upgrade", and after buying one, some owners may not either. More power and gadgets does not mean a better bike.

Being an aggressive street rider I do wish Yamaha and the rest of the "big 4" (Japanese manufactures) would offer "R" models with USD fully adjustable cartridge forks, radial mount brakes, and a fully adjustable rear shock. I'd gladly pay extra for suspension and brakes already in use on other models. Nothing beats Japanese reliability, longevity, and ease of ownership. I'm not sure I'll ever own anything other than Japanese bikes from now on, but I'm sure looking forward to the KTM 790 Duke, too bad it won't be available 'till the 2018 model year or later. I'm hoping the 790 Duke will weigh as little as the FZ-07. "Light is Right".
ver

'16 FZ07

• Premium Member

The 10 HAS to be one of the UGLIEST industrial designs of all time, imho. Good design, as I've harped on before, is based in large part on theme and variation in a controlled manner. The only "theme" to this mess is unbridled variation... of angles, surfaces, finishes, etc.

The looks are hit or miss, but it grew on me. There is also the FZ 10-SP variant coming soon if you like all those extras. Besides who doesn't want to haul ass on the back of Johnny Five.

Im a Yamaha homer. I like just about every bike that Yamaha has ever made. I like the FZ-07. I like the FZ-09. I like the FJ-09. I like the FZ-10.

Different styles and features for different kinds of riders. It's smart for Yamaha to make so many different kinds of bikes, good for sales, good for the financial well being of the company.

There is no need to compare the FZ-07 against the FZ-10. They are two totally different bikes. The FZ-10 costs almost twice as much as the FZ-07, so it of course has more features standard.

But the FZ-07 has that low priced "best bang for the buck" feeling and is very fun to ride fast, very fun to farkle and customize and it's a very good looking bike.

Any Yamaha talk is welcome on this forum. Every Yamaha bike owner is welcome here and there shall be no foolish "this yamaha is better than that yamaha" talk. Because they are all awesome bikes with different features. And that's what I love about Yamaha, they have almost every bike need covered.

They just need to make a lightweight 450 cc adventure bike with enough oil capacity to not blow up. If they can make one of those, they will be complete.

• Premium Member
Im a Yamaha homer. I like just about every bike that Yamaha has ever made. I like the FZ-07. I like the FZ-09. I like the FJ-09. I like the FZ-10.  
Different styles and features for different kinds of riders. It's smart for Yamaha to make so many different kinds of bikes, good for sales, good for the financial well being of the company.

There is no need to compare the FZ-07 against the FZ-10. They are two totally different bikes. The FZ-10 costs almost twice as much as the FZ-07, so it of course has more features standard.

But the FZ-07 has that low priced "best bang for the buck" feeling and is very fun to ride fast, very fun to farkle and customize and it's a very good looking bike.

Any Yamaha talk is welcome on this forum. Every Yamaha bike owner is welcome here and there shall be no foolish "this yamaha is better than that yamaha" talk. Because they are all awesome bikes with different features. And that's what I love about Yamaha, they have almost every bike need covered.

They just need to make a lightweight 450 cc adventure bike with enough oil capacity to not blow up. If they can make one of those, they will be complete.
I agree, and I think the FZ-10 will appeal to a lot of people, me included, except for the look.  I'm REALLY looking forward to the T7.  That might make me buy a new bike sooner than I planned. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Motorcyclist Dec/Jan 2017 page 17 , The Fz for me. Guy disliked a FZ10 to the point of trading for an FZ07.He already had a 2006 FZ1 and a 2015 R1. Good read.

No, thanks.
Honestly, would not want one for free at this point.
When it comes to 4-cylindered literbikes, I no longer feel I need that much horsepower and torque and mass and weight that I'll never use on the street the majority of the time, and I now feel it simply is not worth it.

Or, as much fun.

It appears people have different ideas of what upgrade means and what looks good. For me, an upgrade would be getting something smaller & lighter that is more fun than my FZ-07. That could mean a WR250 or WR450 but I'm not upgrading until I get bored with my FZ-07 and it's probably going to be awhile before I get tired of wheelies, good torque and bad-ass 0-60 quickness.

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...
how about an MT-09 much better looking bike imo. 

MT09_10_jpg_mode_max_quality_90_scale_down.jpg

I rode an FZ-09 for two years. Fun bike but Limited on hp and how much can be had naturally, and the FZ10 in all black is cool freakin bike. Looks good in person. And Nels at @2wheeldynoworks has a decat tune that takes it from 134hp stock to 156-160hp depending on exhaust choice. Its a ripping naked bike when the USA emission detune is removed.

https://preview.ibb.co/jPpfdv/16326352_1636864479949714_1909906862_o.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/isbvTv/c088a0bc_3415_421f_b4b3_bbca57761dd8.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/4qsnoveup/14708034_1596131137356382_3224724136379871283_o.jpg

Archived