The MT-07 Forum

What level41 doesn't like about the fz-07

level41

• Premium Member
well as you know I dont own one.. what I dont understand is why yamaha never put more thought into accessories .
rack! you have to cut into the body work,
no provisions for a solid grab handle.
lack of fixing points for most accessories.
I would of thought it would've been cheaper to have a metal tank instead of bitsa tank.
having said that I think it's a cracking little bike and more than enough power.
and the price reflect that,value for your money to.
oh and another thing that thing they call a hugger ,you may aswell stick a flannel over it for what good it is.
Don't buy one... you won't like it.  :) 
Okay, I kid, but really... look around this wonderful web site.  You will find all the accessories you could ever afford, and I think you can find luggage racks, grab handles that don't require cutting (at least nothing major, or visible), along with huggers and more.
What motorcycle in this price range offers a better "off the shelf" bike that has as many aftermarket accessories?

Why can't left turners see us?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dont buy one. lol but bought it younger bro the tracer!!
as for cutting ..on the uk forum they have to cut the tail piece to fit the yamaha one.
after market you'll probably wont.

I have to agree with @johnakay, that many of the "official" Yam accessories need cutting of bodywork is inexcusable. It's like the accessories guys never talk to the engineers.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
I have to agree with @johnakay , that many of the "official" Yam accessories need cutting of bodywork is inexcusable. It's like the accessories guys never talk to the engineers.
I guess I've never looked that closely at official accessories.  I do have the Yamaha Seat Cowl, Yamaha approved Gilles chain adjusters and Akra Ti exhaust and they fit flawlessly - no mods.     

I have to agree with @johnakay , that many of the "official" Yam accessories need cutting of bodywork is inexcusable. It's like the accessories guys never talk to the engineers.
I guess I've never looked that closely at official accessories.  I do have the Yamaha Seat Cowl, Yamaha approved Gilles chain adjusters and Akra Ti exhaust and they fit flawlessly - no mods.   
One of our sponsors Moto Machines sells a plethora of accessories for the FZ07, and they are having a sale now. I particularly like this one. snaps in like the seat and can be removed. cool. 
seat%20carrier.jpg

• Premium Member

I like that. Kind of industrial looking (in a good way) compared to the Yamaha seat cowl, but definitely a nicer surface for a tail bag.

One of our sponsors Moto Machines sells a plethora of accessories for the FZ07, and they are having a sale now. I particularly like this one. snaps in like the seat and can be removed. cool. 
seat%20carrier.jpg

That's perfect for someone (like myself) that just wants to use bungees (net) to hold something down. 

Beemer

I think the introduction of the 700 Tracer is proof that the naked, hooligan type, FZ-07 was not going to make for a great, home-spun, sport-touring bike no matter what accessories you put on it. Just compare the specs and styling of the two bikes and you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a no brainer. 

Beemer

You need to cut in some other accesories - such as the OEM frame sliders. But to your point, yep, more than half of them you don't need to cut around things.

Safe riding!

The only thing that really annoys me is the placement of the horn button, I never find it when I want it. Been below the turn signal switch on all my other bikes and my thumb goes there by reflex.

The only thing that really annoys me is the placement of the horn button, I never find it when I want it. Been below the turn signal switch on all my other bikes and my thumb goes there by reflex.
I believe some time back another poster stated that he changed the switch unit out for another Yamaha oem switch that had the old horn button placement, you might try searching around or maybe someone else will remember... 

I believe some time back another poster stated that he changed the switch unit out for another Yamaha oem switch that had the old horn button placement, you might try searching around or maybe someone else will remember...
Iv'e been looking at solutions. you have two choices, buy another switch gear as in YamahaYZ 125, or similar Yamaha unit or another brand shown for a lot of money, (60-100 bucks) then figure out how to solder it on, or the home made fix. the prosthetic approach :) or this add on which looks ingenious. (black box) 125 yamaha
yz125.jpg

this mod is cheap and neat looking
20150626_174036%20Small.jpg

This is a back yard hack, but simplicity itself.
IMG_20140827_114404370.jpg

Iv'e been looking at solutions. you have two choices, buy another switch gear as in YamahaYZ 125, or similar Yamaha unit or another brand shown for a lot of money, (60-100 bucks) then figure out how to solder it on, or the home made fix. the prosthetic approach :) or this add on which looks ingenious. (black box) 125 yamaha
yz125.jpg

this mod is cheap and neat looking
20150626_174036%20Small.jpg

This is a back yard hack, but simplicity itself.
IMG_20140827_114404370.jpg

Im curious. Do you know if the swapped hand controlls in the first picture has the switch that closes the circuit for bith high and low when set on high? Or is it the same as the FZ07's either/or approach for thw H4 bulb?

nope no idea, just found pic on another forum. you'll have to investigate yourself. I didn't save the links, just picks, but there was some discussion related to each one.

I like that extra switch, starting to consider something similar and connect it to an extra louder horn, separate from the original altogether.

Not looking for a fight here and I've been biting my tongue on this one but how can something that doesn't exist and not belong on the bike be a con? How can someone complain the bike doesn't have something that usually doesn't come standard with the type of bike it is. This is a naked bike and naked's usually don't come with fairings. If you thought this bike should provide some wind protection you 'conned yourself' when you bought it. Naked means naked, no fairing.

I'm sorry to say, you made the mistake (not Yamaha) buying the wrong bike my friend.

Beemer

Not looking for a fight here and I've been biting my tongue on this one but how can something that doesn't exist and not belong on the bike be a con? How can someone complain the bike doesn't have something that usually doesn't come standard with the type of bike it is. This is a naked bike and naked's usually don't come with fairings. If you thought this bike should provide some wind protection you 'conned yourself' when you bought it. Naked means naked, no fairing.  
I'm sorry to say, you made the mistake (not Yamaha) buying the wrong bike my friend.

On one hand I sort of understand where you're coming from.

On the other hand I'd say the FZ07 has negative wind protection.

The FZ07 is my 3rd naked. And none of the others have the wind pressure and buffeting you experience on the FZ07. The test ride of the Z800 also yielded less wind blasts at highway/internet speed. Hell, even my 92 Nighthawk 250, aside from the engine working for its life, felt better at highway speed.

I feel complaining about the sub par wind protection is just as valid as complaining about suspension. Just as well that you shouldnt expect good suspension from a cheap bike as you shouldn't expect wind protection from a naked.

A thread like this is bound to attract whiners, but, overall, I think it benefits new owners and prospective buyers as to common shortcomings of the bike, whether real or imagined. Better yet if we can, through experience, offer solutions. I look at the MT07 as great basic bike, a blank slate as it were, for you to make it what you want based on YOUR needs. It is easy to start nitpicking, especially for you guys in climates that have winter :) bitching season.

I wanna puke every time that I hear about "wind" or "Buffeting" on a motorcycle. Especially on a Naked bike. Even more sickening when the complaint is concerning a $7,000 naked bike.

Its a damn motorcycle. Wind blasts, buffeting that is what I like about riding motorcycles. Back in the 70's every bike was a naked bike. They all had "wind".

Its easily fixed by buying a big ugly windshield. But then it's not a a naked bike any more.

I know i shouldnt have said all of that. I know, I'm the owner of this site so should keep opinions to myself and I try really hard to do so.

But man, complaining about freakin wind on an awesome $7,000 motorcycle is like the lottery winner complaining about having to drive to the bank to cash the Million dollar lottery check.

I wanna puke every time that I hear about "wind" or "Buffeting" on a motorcycle. Especially on a Naked bike. Even more sickening when the complaint is concerning a $7,000 naked bike.  
Its a damn motorcycle. Wind blasts, buffeting that is what I like about riding motorcycles. Back in the 70's every bike was a naked bike. They all had "wind".

Its easily fixed by buying a big ugly windshield. But then it's not a a naked bike any more.

I know i shouldnt have said all of that. I know, I'm the owner of this site so should keep opinions to myself and I try really hard to do so.

But man, complaining about freakin wind on an awesome $7,000 motorcycle is like the lottery winner complaining about having to drive to the bank to cash the Million dollar lottery check.
go back to the mid 1960's a complain about wind, buffeting, vibration, handling, hehe, it's all relative. we are all spoiled today with too much technology, we have come to expect perfection out of the box. 

• Premium Member

Really? Wind pressure and buffeting worse on one naked vs another? I think a little adjustment in riding position will do more than anything else on a non-faired bike. Go talk to one of the custom Harley owners with ape hangers, no shield, and no helmet. They don't complain about no stinking buffeting.

Even though I think the wind and buffeting shouldn't be a con, after all it is a naked bike, for this discussion I guess it can't hurt to give a newbie something to think about before a purchase. But realistically, the cons that have been pointed out aren't atypical for the price and what many consider an entry level bike, it's just that so much else is so nice about the bike that the cons sort of stand out, I would have killed for this engine back in the 60's when I was trying hard and spending lots of money to make my Triumphs run only half as well while spewing parts and oil in my wake, yeah I guess we're getting spoiled...

Really? Wind pressure and buffeting worse on one naked vs another? I think a little adjustment in riding position will do more than anything else on a non-faired bike. Go talk to one of the custom Harley owners with ape hangers, no shield, and no helmet. They don't complain about no stinking buffeting.
They also don't complain when their ass and hands go numb from the poorly balanced and mounted engine. Hell Ill complain about that on my Shadow 1100. Doesnt mean I dont still like it though
Maybe this analogy will help. Complaining about wind on a naked is like buying a gun and complaining that it's loud. A gun is going to be loud regardless and a naked is going to be windy, regardless. It's silly to nitpick the minor differences between things that weren't designed to do a particular thing to begin with. 

Beemer

Archived