The MT-07 Forum

What level41 doesn't like about the fz-07

level41

• Premium Member

Biggest con? Keeping the front wheel on the ground. My other bikes have been easier to ride because they don't accidentally wheelie. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@beemer and @robborboy, do the broader community a favor and delete the last few, unnecessary posts, eh?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Really? Wind pressure and buffeting worse on one naked vs another? I think a little adjustment in riding position will do more than anything else on a non-faired bike. Go talk to one of the custom Harley owners with ape hangers, no shield, and no helmet. They don't complain about no stinking buffeting.
I guess as far as wind buffeting, For me it becomes a problem at speeds over 80MPH, regardless of on which bike. Any bike that has no windshield. Including a harley or big sized cruiser.
But I think it should be extra so, for people sitting up straight on the FZ. While some bikes force the rider to lean forward, because of the placement of the handlebars.
Leaning forward somewhat offsets the wind buffeting, which is something that can be done on the FZ, when bending the arms, to the point of leaning forward so much that the head is between the handles at speeds of 120+MPH.

The FZ does go fast, unlike most harleys they are capped at 120MPH, and often ride no faster than 65 anyway.

Biggest con? Keeping the front wheel on the ground. My other bikes have been easier to ride because they don't accidentally wheelie. :) 

Installing a smaller rear sprocket may help that behavior somewhat.

I would like a less abrupt throttle response (AKA less snatchy throttle) when opening the throttle from closed while sport riding on back roads.

I would like less of a gap from 3rd to 4th gear (lower 4th a little bit).

Other than that, the bike is very good for me.

• Premium Member
I would like a less abrupt throttle response (AKA less snatchy throttle) when opening the throttle from closed while sport riding on back roads. 

I LOVE THE "snatchy throttle"  in fact I've even made it more snatchy by doing the R6 throttle tube mod.  ;) 

• Global Moderator

Installing a smaller rear sprocket may help that behavior somewhat.

It doesnt.... well it does somewhat..
I webt with a 41t in the rear and if im too aggressive with the throttle or shifts the front lifts
This thing lives up to its 'Master of Torque' moniquer for sure

Im ~250# in gear btw

I'll agree with you on the gap between 3-4
And will go furfher to say that 5-6 needs a much lower ratio than the .3 difference they have.
If/when my trans needs service work that will be the first thing to go... well all of the OD ratios will get reworked

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
The more I read this thread the more I realize Ron White was right.
Who is he?
He's the comedian with the famous line "You can't fix stupid". :) [video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvQ77JP8nw]

Really? Wind pressure and buffeting worse on one naked vs another? I think a little adjustment in riding position will do more than anything else on a non-faired bike. Go talk to one of the custom Harley owners with ape hangers, no shield, and no helmet. They don't complain about no stinking buffeting.
I guess as far as wind buffeting, For me it becomes a problem at speeds over 80MPH, regardless of on which bike. Any bike that has no windshield. Including a harley or big sized cruiser.
But I think it should be extra so, for people sitting up straight on the FZ. While some bikes force the rider to lean forward, because of the placement of the handlebars.
Leaning forward somewhat offsets the wind buffeting, which is something that can be done on the FZ, when bending the arms, to the point of leaning forward so much that the head is between the handles at speeds of 120+MPH.

The FZ does go fast, unlike most harleys they are capped at 120MPH, and often ride no faster than 65 anyway.
I don't really feel an issue with buffering on the Z1000 until about 110. You can still have a naked and have air diverted better. A naked with the front profile of a square will be much worse off than one with that of an oval as an example.

The FZ07's just have a notchy front that results in more buffering. I imagine the pogo stick suspension may play a part as well as hitting a bump at speed causes the front to go squirrely and breaks the established wind flow.

Not aimed at you but I don't understand why this is a point of contention. It is basic fluid dynamics. Did a test ride of the FZ10 and despite looking like a transformer and a series of attached angles it even has less buffering than the FZ07.

Furthermore the fact that the smallest change can make a huge difference in wind flow: those cheap small aluminum screens that don't even come over the gauge cluster makes a significant difference in wind flow.

I LOVE THE "snatchy throttle"  in fact I've even made it more snatchy by doing the R6 throttle tube mod.  ;)
Part of me does as well. Just wished it caught at a little higher in the RPM. I keep on edge thinking I am going to spin the wheel on ice lol.

• Premium Member

@robborboy Point made, but like you said, you can slap on a small, cheap, flyscreen on it and improve things substantially. I think it looks better with one too.

@robborboy Point made, but like you said, you can slap on a small, cheap, flyscreen on it and improve things substantially. I think it looks better with one too.
My wife thinks it looks better that way as well. I'm not a big fan if the whole Pug-like "face smashed flat against the wall" look however. And the stock headlight leaves much to be desired as far as performance goes. Several contributing factors are what lead to the swap on mine. And that in turn let me stick with the cheaper nearly perfect bike (FZ07) instead of buying a more expensive one that had a lot more issues, some preventing me from parking inside my living room at all.

• Premium Member
My wife thinks it looks better that way as well. I'm not a big fan if the whole Pug-like "face smashed flat against the wall" look however. And the stock headlight leaves much to be desired as far as performance goes. Several contributing factors are what lead to the swap on mine. And that in turn let me stick with the cheaper nearly perfect bike (FZ07) instead of buying a more expensive one that had a lot more issues, some preventing me from parking inside my living room at all.
You have to keep the living room looking good! :) 

You have to keep the living room looking good! :)
Someone has to, she sure doesn't help with it!

• 3 months later...

I have to say, without a doubt, that the biggest cons for me on the FZ are:

1- No windscreen. I successfully installed a $25 screen (windbreaker) on it, and it holds up well to about 120MPH. It feels like you can go 40MPH faster with the windscreen before you start feeling similar wind buffeting effect.
2- The horn placement! Like, there's no way I'll be able to find that button in an emergency!
3- Downshifts. I dislike how downshifting on this bike doesn't happen naturally.
4- Doesn't have passenger handles (like eg on the Honda CBR).
5- Has almost zero storage compartment. I think they easily could have increased the under passenger compartment, to at least fit a pair of goggles, gloves, and papers aside from the tools.
6- I haven't seen any mounting points for side storage (side trunks and rear trunk) in case I'd want to use the bike for touring.
7- The gear ratios are very tight on here. I much prefer taller gears. I can change that via the sprockets, but the first gear is already pretty tall for changing gear ratios too much.
8- No quick way to quick charge a battery. Stranded somewhere? Unscrew the seat! I wished the bike would have a positive pin somewhere, if I needed to jumpstart the bike, I could clamp the jumpstart kit to the frame and the positive terminal; without the need for opening the bike.
9- For some reason, the seat is less comfortable to me for the longer rides, than my Honda CBR or Honda Rebel 250 seat.

What I dislike about bikes in general:
1- No leg protection, to protect the shinbone and lower legs from road wetness (like rain or water puddle splashes).
2- No center stand stock, for working on the rear wheel without needing tools (like you're stranded somewhere).
3- Fuel injected bikes can not be kickstarted (which is why I like the Yamaha RS400's kickstart).
4- No bike comes with a crash guard. Every car in the universe comes with bumpers, but no motorcycle comes with even pegs to protect it from a crash...

There might be more stuff I dislike.

Guest 2wheeler
1- No windscreen. I successfully installed a $25 screen (windbreaker) on it, and it holds up well to about 120MPH. It feels like you can go 40MPH faster with the windscreen before you start feeling similar wind buffeting effect.
2- The horn placement! Like, there's no way I'll be able to find that button in an emergency!
3- Downshifts. I dislike how downshifting on this bike doesn't happen naturally.
5- Has almost zero storage compartment. I think they easily could have increased the under passenger compartment, to at least fit a pair of goggles, gloves, and papers aside from the tools.
6- I haven't seen any mounting points for side storage (side trunks and rear trunk) in case I'd want to use the bike for touring.
7- The gear ratios are very tight on here. I much prefer taller gears. I can change that via the sprockets, but the first gear is already pretty tall for changing gear ratios too much.
8- No quick way to quick charge a battery. Stranded somewhere? Unscrew the seat! I wished the bike would have a positive pin somewhere, if I needed to jumpstart the bike, I could clamp the jumpstart kit to the frame and the positive terminal; without the need for opening the bike.
9- For some reason, the seat is less comfortable to me for the longer rides, than my Honda CBR or Honda Rebel 250 seat.

1- No leg protection, to protect the shinbone and lower legs from road wetness (like rain or water puddle splashes).
2- No center stand stock, for working on the rear wheel without needing tools (like you're stranded somewhere).
3- Fuel injected bikes can not be kickstarted (which is why I like the Yamaha RS400's kickstart).
4- No bike comes with a crash guard. Every car in the universe comes with bumpers, but no motorcycle comes with even pegs to protect it from a crash...

WOW - Why did you even buy the bike???
I would NEVER own a bike if I had a list of dislikes similar to yours!!!

10 of the 13 items, you knew before you ever bought it.

WTF

The only one I personally take issue with from your list is the horn placement which I knew before I bought the bike.

Shet, just sell the bike and put us out of your misery!

Oh that rock hard seat! I loved sitting for hours on my Honda CB500X but the FZ-07 is best experienced in short rides.

bigdaddybane

If I'm you, I would go straight to the closest Honda dealership and trade FZ07 for CB500F/CBR500R, 07 is definitely not a bike for you. Don't take me wrong, it seems you're truly one miserable/unhappy owner.     

Here is my list of dislikes on the FZ07:

1- No fairings
2- It has handlebars instead of clipons
3- Doesn't have Diablo Rosso tires
4- Didn't come with panniers pre-installed
5- No lime green color choice, WTF?
6- It isn't made by Honda
7- It isn't a 3 cylinder engine
8- It isn't a Brutale 800 Dragster
9- It doesn't look anything like a Brutale 800 Dragster
10- No cup holder

Only a couple after 23,000 miles as of today :

Wish kickstand sensor wires were stronger*
Wish that gear indicator flashing thing wasn't a problem*
Stock suspension is meh-tastic but whatever *

That's all , it's reasonable and sufficient and entertaining otherwise.

Everybody buys a bike and changes it to suit their wants and needs. Literally everything you mentioned can be changed to your liking.

1. Buy a tall windscreen.
2. Move the horn button (search the forum), or here's a thought: practice where the horn button is located to build some muscle memory in an emergency.
3. Learn to rev match. It not only sounds cool, it makes you a better rider.
4. There are aftermarket handles you can buy if you really think they are needed.
5. Buy a tailbag, or just wear a backpack.
6. Buy side luggage mounts when you buy your saddlebags (tons of options). Very few bikes have integrated mounting systems unless they are expensive sport touring bikes.
7. Buy a sprocket. Or better yet, wind this little bike out. The little twin on the FZ is happy to spin up high.
8. Buy a battery tender for $30. Then you can leave the lead on the battery all the time. The tender comes with jumper cables you can plug into the lead. Or you could just remember to shut your key off.
9. Buy an aftermarket seat, airhawk cushion or recover the seat.

Regarding the stuff you mentioned that you don't like about bikes in general. Everything you mentioned adds weight and cost. The FZ is built at a price point. You sound pretty unhappy with the FZ. I would trade it in on your Honda and be happy. No bike is perfect from the factory, but for the money you can't beat this little bike.

Archived