The MT-07 Forum

What level41 doesn't like about the fz-07

level41

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came from an FZ6 and the two things I miss are the fairing on the highway and the top end blast. I like everything else better about the 07 though. Looking back, I should have kept the 6 and put hard cases on it to turn it into a touring bike.

Suspension is shet. It's the biggest downfall of this bike, the suspension is the one area where Yamaha went as cheap and minimum as possible.

Luckily, we have vendors who have the cure!

Still, for the money, the FZ-07 is the best, most cool looking and satisfying bike you can get.

-Suspension (albeit fixable). Seriously at least put pre load adjusters to get people started. It would literally cost yamaha like 5 extra bucks lol.

-all digital tach. I'm not old-school, but analog tachs or even hybrid digital look-alikes beat the "bar" type. To each his own of course.

-dumb helmet holder

-rear axle nut. I haven't had a problem but a typical castle nut and cotter pin beats the "tanged" nut that potentially could lock up.

- Suspension: I'll update it to boost confidence

- Stock exhaust pipe: have you hear so silent stock pipes? Lol

Safe riding!

• Global Moderator

Suspension first, and then the pumpkin turn signals. I like the quiet exhaust.

My only complaint really is the lack of wind protection. But as soon as the other parts come in I'll have an R6 upper installed which will fix that.

The surrounded-by-plastic tank.  
Lack of ease to add spools to the rear swingarm.
Crappy helmet lock situation.
I prefer old school tachs, but I guess most bikes are going all digital now.

Otherwise, I love this bike.

The lack of a helmet lock tab
The great pumpkin signals (Do they really need to be that large?)
Stock rear fender (Then again all bikes have ugly stock fenders)
Suspension- Really just the forks for me(I am pretty light at 150lb in gear)

All and all I still love this bike and the first 3 complaints are easy and cheap fixes. Knew the suspension was a weak point before I bought the bike,but knew I had options to fix that!

• Premium Member

Suspension,
but I can only stay that now after riding a bike with a better one. I took the FZ to the track, put 15,000 miles on it in one year and went on a 3000 mile trip and was fine with it at that time now I can tell just how bouncy it is. Most the other stuff is preference IMO because all the other stuff works just fine little cheep but it all works good.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

In order of most disliked first:

.Rear suspension, me at 150#, the low velocity hits are ok but the high velocity are jarring & rebound...what rebound?
.Front forks but they were fixed with a cartridge kit
.Speedo/tach...the location is dangerous and awkward, needs to be mounted forward like 99% of bikes and the bar graph tach is all but useless
.Rear hugger/front fender...both to short to be effective, added long CF rear and fabbed up extension to cover from where hugger stopped
to extend below swing arm now 90% effective, Front...bonded on Fenda extenda, very effective and not to apparent if done carefully.
.Plastic...love/hate, I like the styling and shapes that the plastic makes possible, esp. allowing for a wide seat but with a trim looking rear but I keep bikes I like and wonder how well it will endure in years to come?
.Transmission...I like the ratios but wish it was a little smoother shifting and didn't rely on me being super diligent which is weird because the well used demo bike I rode shifted like butter with just a snick,snick,snick going between gears, up or down and this was actually the thing I liked most about the demo ride aside from the fun power curve of the engine.

• Premium Member

Axle slider spools take like 2 minutes to install?
Was going to say, it took me all of 15 minutes to put mine in and that was because I stopped to drink a beer between each side. 
I don't really have any issue with the rear suspension, but I'm going to try adding preload caps to the front to see if I can make it any better.  Then again, I'm 150# with gear.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

• Premium Member

Well, I cannot say that I'd change anything about the bike... FOR THE MONEY. There in is the complication. Everyone would like something different, but for the most part each can do as he/she most prefers without feeling like the cost negates personalizing. Many b***h about the suspension, and I have no issues with it; so that's not where I opt to spend my mod resources. Others want better wind protection but I'm not burdened with such since it too is not a problem for me... getting the picture??? That doesn't mean that I've not modded my 07... I modify nearly everything I own to varying degrees.

P1020618_2_c.jpg

I must be getting old, I'm also a 150# rider and would like to know how you other lt. wts. don't think the rear suspension isn't the major CON of this fantastic little bike. After 100 miles of rural coastal roads I'm warn out from the pounding and probably 1/4" shorter. I've been riding for 50 yrs. on nothing with what would be called good suspension and this is right up there with the worst of them.

Just an after thought, if you do change the rear shock it's worth getting one with adjustable ride height, a higher rear ht. improves the handling, gives it a more neutral feel proven on back to back tests on my bike.

• Premium Member
I must be getting old, I'm also a 150# rider and would like to know how you other lt. wts. don't think the rear suspension isn't the major CON of this fantastic little bike. After 100 miles of rural coastal roads I'm warn out from the pounding and probably 1/4" shorter. I've been riding for 50 yrs. on nothing with what would be called good suspension and this is right up there with the worst of them.  
Just an after thought, if you do change the rear shock it's worth getting one with adjustable ride height, a higher rear ht. improves the handling, gives it a more neutral feel proven on back to back tests on my bike.

I agree, and I weigh 145 without gear.  The rear exceeds the front in suckage in my opinion.  I swapped the shock for the low end Matris (still not cheap), and it made a world of difference.  I swapped springs in the front and it's tolerable.  I have a Matris cartridge kit that I haven't installed because of they need to be reworked by @pattonme and I haven't had a chance to send them in yet. 
I also think the front of the bike looks unfinished without a flyscreen and radiator cover.  I have the Givi screen and EP radiator guard, which I like, but it needs something there besides a hideous silver radiator and whatever that is above the headlight. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

The rear exceeds the front in suckage in my opinion.

Granted I didn't have very many miles on the bike before putting in the NIX-22, but I wholeheartedly agree. The fork is pretty bad but the shock is just miserable.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The thing I hated most is long gone and is also the thing most people get rid of first. The ridiculous rear mudguard/tail end thing. Next was the scooter sounding stock exhaust. Last was the suspension. Once I get my forks back there will not be a single thing I dislike about this bike.

• Premium Member
The thing I hated most is long gone and is also the thing most people get rid of first. The ridiculous rear mudguard/tail end thing. Next was the scooter sounding stock exhaust. Last was the suspension. Once I get my forks back there will not be a single thing I dislike about this bike.
I know it looks bad, but now that I'm more aware of the purpose it serves (or used to serve before I hacked it off), the more I appreciate folks that choose to leave it on.  I don't ride in rain much, but if I did, I would want something like that, or I would buy an aftermarket option, because the "eliminator" do not handle weather well. 

Why can't left turners see us?

Guest 2wheeler
I know it looks bad, but now that I'm more aware of the purpose it serves (or used to serve before I hacked it off), the more I appreciate folks that choose to leave it on.  I don't ride in rain much, but if I did, I would want something like that, or I would buy an aftermarket option, because the "eliminator" do not handle weather well.
... and you can't put the Yamaha/SW Motech saddlebags on without the stock rear light assembly. Ever since I heard somebody on here call it the "Enterprise", I am totally cool with it!  Yes, I have the saddlebags too. 

The downsides are only related to price point if you don't like the brakes, by a Aprilla Tuono. get my point? It is a great bike for the price if you demand better buy better. And as was said it's easily up-gradable.

• Premium Member

The FJ-07 will be the better bike over the FZ-07 just like the FJ-09 did a spectacular job fixing the FZ-09 flaws... But bottom line is the pogo sticks from 1970 where recycled to create the FZ-07 suspension which was my biggest gripe...

small little things like swing arm spools or windscreens are best left up to the customer choices because there are 12 different windshield or 22 different spools or 66 different types of frame sliders or 1234 different turn signal choices...

Also it's totally do able have a bigger gas tank giving the amount of dead space under the gas tank plastics...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest 2wheeler

Axle slider spools take like 2 minutes to install?
More specifically put... 2 minutes to install crap spools which you have to remove EVERYTIME you want to adjust your chain. 
Yamaha should had added means to install spools which allow you to take the full advantage of spools!

Guest 2wheeler

In addition to all the stuff already mentioned, and arguably more important than everything mentioned,:

1. The USELESS mirrors
2. The position of the horn button

The crap suspension obviously has a safety factor to it, but the mirrors and horn are arguably way more dangerous.

Archived