The MT-07 Forum

Any way to remove Akra Ti baffle without mangling it?

reboot

As the subject says, anyone come up with a way to remove the Akra Ti baffle that won't damage it? I have tried to tap it out from the back, I have tried to pull it with soft grip pliers and even doing that has wanted to bend the baffle tubes. 

I really want to run it for a bit with the baffle out but don't want to beat the crap out of it.

Thoughts? Ideas?

If it's just press fit, you could try a slide hammer with a hook or something on one end. Put it in the hole and it would "pull" it out.

I used a pair of vicegrips and a lot of wd-40. it takes some umph to get that fucker out
Did that end up doing any damage to the baffle? When I tried this with my soft grip pliers they started to bend the small baffle tubes. 

If it's just press fit, you could try a slide hammer with a hook or something on one end. Put it in the hole and it would "pull" it out.
That's not a bad idea! I was thinking of a spring hook to try and pull it by force,but this is much better. Some quick sudden impacts should break it free. Might need to stop by good ol' harbor freight for some cheap tools....

I used a 1/2 inch wooden dowel down the inside of the pipe and smacked it out. There are two spots you need to hit to work it out. On the end of the tube (carefully) and on the flat part. You can smack the flat part a little harder. Also WD-40 it and let it sit a few minutes and also make sure you remove the retaining screw. I had no luck just trying to pull it out it's in there way too tight for that. It also helps to have a someone hold the pipe while you smack it because that can is pretty awkward to try and do it all by yourself. I got mine out with no damage at all. Once you get it broke loose it's easy from there.

I used a 1/2 inch wooden dowel down the inside of the pipe and smacked it out. There are two spots you need to hit to work it out. On the end of the tube (carefully) and on the flat part. You can smack the flat part a little harder. Also WD-40 it and let it sit a few minutes and also make sure you remove the retaining screw. I had no luck just trying to pull it out it's in there way too tight for that. It also helps to have a someone hold the pipe while you smack it because that can is pretty awkward to try and do it all by yourself. I got mine out with no damage at all. Once you get it broke loose it's easy from there.
Are we talking Akra Carbon or Ti? Last time I looked I did not think a dowel would work since the Ti is not a straight shot to the baffle like the Akra Carbon. 
If this is what you did on the Ti then I might need to give this a shot then!

I tried to do it without mangling and then lost patience. Used a pair of vice grips and a hammer and tried to grab as little pipe as I could. If I plan to re-use I'll probably just grind an equal amount off both tubes, enough to cut off the bend from the grips.

Are we talking Akra Carbon or Ti? Last time I looked I did not think a dowel would work since the Ti is not a straight shot to the baffle like the Akra Carbon. If this is what you did on the Ti then I might need to give this a shot then!
Yes the Ti system. If you look into the exhaust from the inlet (header) side holding the exhaust like it would be mounted on the bike, shine a light down it and you'll see the 2 tubes. You'll want to tap on the flat part that those tube connect to so it will jar it loose. It will start to come out crooked though so you'll need to alternate between hitting that flat part and the end of the closest tube towards the inlet to help straighten it back out so it slides out. The dowel I used was just some 1/2 inch wood dowel I had in my garage. Then I just used my cheap harbor freight hammer that has the screw in plastic and rubber ends or you could use a dead blow hammer. 
I took mine out before installing the exhaust because I knew it would be too quiet for my liking. I got it all installed and started it up and just stuck it back in half way for S&G's and I was right it was too quiet. I've seen some people modify the DB killer by either drilling holes in the two tubes that protrude inside the exhaust or they just cut them off completely to get a sound level that is in between regular DB killer and no DB killer.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Just take the bolt out and ride the bike until it rattles itself out!

...but seriously, don't do that. Or go for it, I'm not your boss. 

• Premium Member

Get exhaust hot then hit the baffle with freeze spray...use proper safety equipment too...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Are we talking Akra Carbon or Ti? Last time I looked I did not think a dowel would work since the Ti is not a straight shot to the baffle like the Akra Carbon. If this is what you did on the Ti then I might need to give this a shot then!
Yes the Ti system. If you look into the exhaust from the inlet (header) side holding the exhaust like it would be mounted on the bike, shine a light down it and you'll see the 2 tubes. You'll want to tap on the flat part that those tube connect to so it will jar it loose. It will start to come out crooked though so you'll need to alternate between hitting that flat part and the end of the closest tube towards the inlet to help straighten it back out so it slides out. The dowel I used was just some 1/2 inch wood dowel I had in my garage. Then I just used my cheap harbor freight hammer that has the screw in plastic and rubber ends or you could use a dead blow hammer. 
I took mine out before installing the exhaust because I knew it would be too quiet for my liking. I got it all installed and started it up and just stuck it back in half way for S&G's and I was right it was too quiet. I've seen some people modify the DB killer by either drilling holes in the two tubes that protrude inside the exhaust or they just cut them off completely to get a sound level that is in between regular DB killer and no DB killer.

I think this may be the key to getting that baffle out. Just picked up a 1/2 dowel and should have time this weekend. Hopefully it won't be too loud and I end up just putting the baffle back in. Although this bike makes me want to hoon it up so I might just leave it loud. The cruiser guys get to do it around my place,why not me?  

For the record, WD40 isn't actually a lubricant , though in this case it can make the crunge more mobile. WD40 ( inter ailia) make a teflon infused version of the product. This IS a lubricant and has the benefit of not evaporating and being uneffected by heat, so can make future removal a bit easier.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

[span][/span] I think this may be the key to getting that baffle out. Just picked up a 1/2 dowel and should have time this weekend. Hopefully it won't be too loud and I end up just putting the baffle back in. Although this bike makes me want to hoon it up so I might just leave it loud. The cruiser guys get to do it around my place,why not me?  

Well I will tell you. My commute to work is about 10 miles one way and I have to wear ear plugs or it gives me a migraine. But it just sounds too good with the DB killer out plus it only takes a second or two to put earplugs in. Constant RPM has a drone that just rings in the helmet. I get looks from cops all the time but they never pull me over I'm pretty good at spotting them before they spot me. I've lived in this area my whole life and I know all the hiding spots cops use. Besides, it's not as loud as those idiots on real bikes with straight pipes that sound like garbage. When I took my bike to get it state inspected (I bought it out of state). I had the DB killer out of my akra ti and when I went to leave the Officer that inspected my bike was out doing another vehicle. I fired it up and did a quick little off idle rev pops. He turned around and gave me a thumbs up (rofl)  

Aftermath of getting the baffle out...ended up needing to use my cheater bar to beat it out. Was able to get it out without any damage. Can't believe how tight the baffle fits. Glad it's out and boy does the bike sound great!
20161125_185750.jpg

20161125_190019.jpg

20161125_190025.jpg

imgbb

Wow it looks like yours was in there way tighter than mine looking at your dowels. Looks like you ran it with the DB killer in for a while. That may have made it tighter. The heat probably expanded the DB killer some. I'm glad I made the decision to remove it before putting it on the bike now after seeing that.

You'll probably never put it back in though now that you've heard how good it is with it out.

Wow it looks like yours was in there way tighter than mine looking at your dowels. Looks like you ran it with the DB killer in for a while. That may have made it tighter. The heat probably expanded the DB killer some. I'm glad I made the decision to remove it before putting it on the bike now after seeing that. 
You'll probably never put it back in though now that you've heard how good it is with it out.
Only have had the system on for about 500 mi. When I first got the pipe I tried to remove it and was meant pretty much with the same resistance, this time I did not care as much :)

Quick few revs in the garage let me know I did the right thing. Just waiting on my forks to ship out and see about sneaking out a ride or two

• 1 month later...

I just removed my baffle from the akropovic ti and WOW was it hard to do. I watch YouTube videos and read some posts on here to try the wooden down method aka banging it from the inside... And no good. The only method that worked for me, use PB Blaster and Vise Grips. I gripped the smaller pipe and just kept pulling at it. The pipe got a little mangled but not that bad. Way harder then it needed to be.

I took mine out while the exhaust was still on the bike and tried the whole vise grip and hammer technique which did not work for me at all so I ended up grabbing 2 pieces of steel tubing and putting one in each of the 2 holes in the baffle and used a twisting force to break it loose and then ended up pulling out the baffle with just the 2 regular tubes by applying the same twisting motion and pulling on the tubes in the baffles to pull it out

• 4 months later...

How long did it take to get them to break free from twisting? Managed to get mine to move few mm with vise grips but then it stopped

• Premium Member
botticelli

Used a piece of birch, as a dowel and a mallet. 2 mins and the thing was out. No problems at all. Didn't even use lube, just pulled out ;-)

'16 FZ07

• 1 year later...

@aiian see my post from May 27, 2017 took me about 30 seconds to get the baffle out. 

Archived