The MT-07 Forum

Thoughts on a 300cc ADV bike?

yamahazaki

Actually seems like a cool bike to me. Being a shorter inseam rider the prospect of getting into adv riding with this is intriguing to say the least!

I am looking at this, new out so don't know if or when you will bet it
but the road version is very reasonably priced, the other thing is it
is a singe cylinder small twins are usually very buzzy so I prefer
a single pot small engine as they produce more torque.
Going to the Birmingham bike show in about a week, it may be there
so will blag a sit on it then if it feels right will blag a test
ride at a dealers.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2017-bmw-g310gs/

It's probably fine on the road but I went past the looks of the bike and saw a bike bogging down in soft dirt & mud because it isn't torquey on the low end. The second it bogs down in 1st you're screwed. I can't take this as a serious ADV bike. They should've named it the Wannabe.

Beemer

It's probably fine on the road but I went past the looks of the bike and saw a bike bogging down in soft dirt & mud because it isn't torquey on the low end. The second it bogs down in 1st you're screwed. I can't take this as a serious ADV bike. They should've named it the Wannabe.
Yep they aren't intended to be serious off roaders maybe a little mild green laning but thats the limit but most will never get their tyres dirty, anyone that really does
want to go off road will look elsewhere. horse for courses.

ADV bikes often just look like offroad bikes, but end up spending alot of time at Starbucks or well graded dirt roads, being passed by dirtbikes. Weight will tell us alot if this bike can actually be taken off road.

People buy ADV bikes so they can "look like" they go off road. And then they dump untold thousands into farkles which make the bikes even heavier and less trail worthy.

The DRZ-400 is a great dual sport bike that can also be taken on trails easily. They last a long time too. I took my DRZ on nasty trails and it did fine, but even it was heavy at around 300 lbs. Picking up a 3 or 4 hundred pound bike by yourself on the trail is not fun. But, it holds laot of oil so the engine lasts like a street bike. Whereas most light dirtbikes require top end changes with a few thousand miles because they dont hold much oil and are high compression.

Another awesome dual sport bike is the Husquarvana 701. It hauls ass, makes a great super moto and is pretty trail worthy. but expensive.

If I had to choose one bike to do it all, it would still be the trusty DRZ-400. Easy to work on, dirt worthy, great mpg, tons of aftermarket parts.

Yep they aren't intended to be serious off roaders maybe a little mild green laning but thats the limit but most will never get their tyres dirty, anyone that really does
want to go off road will look elsewhere. horse for courses.
Maybe I should've put it this way. This bike is a joke as far as real ADV riding is concerned and is also a joke for the few riders that occasionally ride mild dirt road/fire roads (not necessarily off roading) because the bike won't handle the loose dirt and small mud puddles that they will eventually encounter. I saw what looked like some ga-ga over the bike and I don't know that those people don't know about ADV bikes or whether they will ride on some dirt roads or not so what I said was just a heads up. Some people bought an FZ-07 as their first bike and knew almost nothing about bikes so I figured there could be people that don't know much about ADV bikes either and I don't want to see them buying this bike thinking it can handle like a true ADV bike. Sorry I didn't make my thoughts clear the first time. I'm not the best at expressing myself on paper/internet.  :P

Beemer

• Premium Member

Just like any thing its hard to find the do all anything it ends up short in one area or another. Even a duel sport is not going to be as good as a purpose built dirt bike on the dirt. You have to know what you are looking for in a bike and no one can know that but you. Sometimes you don't realize what you want till after you bought the bike that you thought would fit your needs and then it fall short lol.

I'm stuck wondering if I want a duel sport or dirt only as we speak. I don't need another bike I can ride on the street but I don't want to have to trailer it every time I want to ride it either.

I've said this before but the FZ is IMO the perfect bike in may way to start on its so neutral and fun it helps make the next bike purchase easier while keeping the FZ of course.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Just like any thing its hard to find the do all anything it ends up short in one area or another. Even a duel sport is not going to be as good as a purpose built dirt bike on the dirt. You have to know what you are looking for in a bike and no one can know that but you. Sometimes you don't realize what you want till after you bought the bike that you thought would fit your needs and then it fall short lol.  
I'm stuck wondering if I want a duel sport or dirt only as we speak. I don't need another bike I can ride on the street but I don't want to have to trailer it every time I want to ride it either.

I've said this before but the FZ is IMO the perfect bike in may way to start on its so neutral and fun it helps make the next bike purchase easier while keeping the FZ of course.

You can install a hitch on any car, and then buy a hitch carrier that the bike straps to. I know a lot of guys who do this.

• Premium Member

You can install a hitch on any car, and then buy a hitch carrier that the bike straps to. I know a lot of guys who do this.
I have the truck and the trailer that is not the debate in my cesspool of a mind lol. Its more of am I going to use the Enduro on and off the street or just play in the dirt.  

Dont need a trailer for dirtbike. I just have a ramp and carry it in the back of my Tacoma.

Do you want to be able to ride to beautiful mountain lakes that most people will never see? Get a dirtbike.

Or, do you just want to ride down dirt roads once in a blue moon? If so, get a dual sport/adv bike. but don't get pissed when guys like me go flying by you on dirtbikes! lol

Another option is a supermoto. Faster in the corners than most sportbikes, but they can also go on trails.

Yeah I can see that the 300 class adv bike won't be doing much dirt riding at all. I was more or less just looking into a small engine street motorcycle that isn't designed as a "supersport" and that isn't a dirtbike. Not much choices out here in the US. You got cbr300f, gw250, and is that it? Surely that can't be all... I guess there is the sixty2 but I don't know, that is as much as a budget 600 so I don't want to consider that one.  SR400 but I don't like the kickstarter.

SR400 but I don't like the kickstarter.

Think that puts many off they are on sale here in the uk but not many have sold and
some are up at reduced prices.

• Premium Member
jake -  here's a review on the WR250R. I think it could help you make a decision and put an end to the frustration. 
sorry just saw this ... Link isn't here  

jake -  here's a review on the WR250R. I think it could help you make a decision and put an end to the frustration. 
sorry just saw this ... Link isn't here
Sorry about that, it's up now.

Beemer

Excusing my bias, there are three dual sports in the Yamaha lineup that I like a lot. 
I like them all, too but jake wants a bike that's closest to being a full, 100% dedicated dirt bike and the WR250R is the only Yamaha in the dual sport line up that comes close to that. That's the only reason I didn't suggest the other bikes to him.

Beemer

• Premium Member

https://rideapart.com/articles/rideapart-review-yamaha-wr250r
Yeah the WR250 R would be the one I'd get hard to justify the price when I could pick up a dirt only used for cheep... I'm keeping my eye out for a used WR haha.  

Archived