The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 specific airbox cover

rhb

Has anyone here modded this type of snorkel by either using an aftermarket DNA filter and cover, hordbox, or simply hacked away and deactivated the flapper, along with aftermarket filter?
Interested in performance gains vs. practicality etc. From what I've read simply changing the filter/snorkle has little benefit.
this would be combined with a leovince and ECU flash eventually.
airbox%20mt-07.jpg

@2wheeler can probably shed some light on this as well. I believe the immediately useful mod is to chop the large diameter, smooth round tube shorter by say an inch.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I swapped mine for the DNA with an MWR filter and attempted to install a Power Commander V.   The PCV had a problem in the wiring harness and I had to remove it and send it back.  I tried to run the bike without it, but it ran like utter crap.  Now I'm back to stock. :)
I think any meaningful changes to the air box will probably require fuel management of some type to make a positive difference.

Why can't left turners see us?

I swapped mine for the DNA with an MWR filter and attempted to install a Power Commander V.   The PCV had a problem in the wiring harness and I had to remove it and send it back.  I tried to run the bike without it, but it ran like utter crap.  Now I'm back to stock. :) I think any meaningful changes to the air box will probably require fuel management of some type to make a positive difference.

Thanks, I do plan an ECU flash,  

Guest 2wheeler

Wow, there is quite a difference between the FZ and the MT air box. What I did was completely remove the portion of the snorkel extending into the airbox. Then added a MWR air filter. This was combined with a flash setup for stock exhaust and no snorkel at all. Idea being that the increased air flow of the MWR would offset the reduced air flow created by having the outer snorkel s
installed, especially considering the flash was for having no snorkel.

Is that a restricted version of the mt? - I haven't got that vacuum line nor the thing it attaches to on mine.... as for that snorkel, i just took it off and chucked it out. I did that at the same time as i installed my open acra exhaust, and it created a shitload of popping from running lean, so i got a powercommander to take care of the fuelling. runs sweet now.

Is that a restricted version of the mt? - I haven't got that vacuum line nor the thing it attaches to on mine.... as for that snorkel, i just took it off and chucked it out. I did that at the same time as i installed my open acra exhaust, and it created a shetload of popping from running lean, so i got a powercommander to take care of the fuelling. runs sweet now.
No it is not a restricted model MT, it is Euro EEC compliant, the airbox arrangement is to reduce intake noise at certain RPMs. the rear squarish intake has a vaccuum operated flapper that opens and closes. Guys  are disconectiing the line, plugging it, and gluing the flap down for starters. I was just wondering if any others had tackled this. I'[m going to pull it off and see what I can do to make my own DNA style cover, perhaps molding one from resin or epoxy glass, Can't see buying a DNA plastic cover for 100 bucks.

Oh I see.....Yeah all that noise from the intake side of the engine....all those regs are just a pain in the back end. I too was looking at the DNA plastic cover to hold the airfilter in place...seems a little over the top to charge that much for a 20 cent plastic ring.... I ended up reusing the original and just got rid of the snorkel.. a few guys on other forums just cut the hole in the original part bigger and some others just used some plywood to make one up-- cheap and easy to work with....... Has the DNA part anything on it to divert rain water? - I read in some other forum that the snorkel is only there to stop water from getting into the airbox in torrential rain situations.....(Hence i won't need mine here in Perth....)

Archived