The MT-07 Forum

Facebook is a cesspool and other ramblings

Cruizin

Let me make one thing clear. Everyone who loves the FZ-07 is welcome here and cherished as brothers and sisters by myself and the moderators. We don't care who you voted for, as long as you leave those views at the door and profess your loyalty to the FZ-07 party baby!

I was getting sick of the thousands of political opinions littering my Facebook feed before the election. Now, it is complete insanity. It's driven by the media, they pump up one side to protest and even paying people and bussing them in to raise hell in the cities.
They do this so people will stay home and watch the news, read their websites to watch our cities burn, so their ratings go up and they can then charge their advertisers millions more. Facebook loves it too. The more we post our outrageous hatred and cause others to reply, the more money they make too.

So I'm avoiding Facebook. Most everyone I know is posting ridiculous statements of fear and hatred right now that they will all surely regret the moment that they realize that they were acting far more hateful than whatever politician they are mad at. And, I don't want to read it any more.

So, I cordially invite you all to hide from all of that crap and post your little arses off right here, but post about your bikes.

Want to make the world a better place? Take and post some awesome pics of your FZ-07, write some helpful tech tips for newbies to learn from. Post up some tech questions in the problem and answers board. Post up your winter upgrade plans.

Let's ignore the burning fear, hatred machines online for a while and focus on something that we actually can control. The love of our damn bikes. The world will still be spinning come January, the sun and moon will still be there and we might just feel a little smarter and wiser than everyone else.

Let this place be our sanctuary. Fz07.org, we're too smart for that craziness.

Cant disagree with the thread title, we have the same here
re exiting the EU democracy goes out the window when your
side loses.
Much better on here reading about something interesting.

I felt the same way about 4 years ago when I noticed that people I'd liked (but hadn't seen since high school) acted like a bunch of uber, political pawns, wanking the rhetoric they'd heard in the media. If people would ignore the media the world would be a better place.

Beemer

Yes, well said. Now that the election is over, I think it's worse.  I can not believe how the college students are behaving.  Some are crying?!?  Collages are coddling them, free food, therapy.  WTH,  get a back bone.  Social media has changed the world and a lot of it is bad.  People no longer from their own opinions and just spew misinformation.   I don't get much time to ride in this weather.  The summer heat can be a bugger but I hate winters.

Yes, well said. Now that the election is over, I think it's worse.  I can not believe how the college students are behaving.  Some are crying?!?  Collages are coddling them, free food, therapy.  WTH,  get a back bone.  Social media has changed the world and a lot of it is bad.  People no longer from their own opinions and just spew misinformation.   I don't get much time to ride in this weather.  The summer heat can be a bugger but I hate winters.
They can line up at my door if they want, I'm handing out free kicks in the pants. I hope that didn't hurt anyone's feelings. Wait .... 

i28 - Spot on! Well said and Orwellian scary! 

Beemer

Sounds good! I deleted my FB early this year and don't miss it, with the exception of the local Jeep club using it as their main forum.

I often share helpful threads from here on that fz07 Facebook group to remind folks that we are here, with easy to find tech info. It's a decent group they have going on Facebook, but they seem to wreck more often than you guys do, for some reason. What I hate about Facebook groups is it's just one thread. So important tech posts get buried and lost and the same stupid questions get asked every week. A lot of those guys don't post here just due to sheer laziness. They don't want to have to login with their phones, even though we are mobile friendly. So the same tech questions just keep getting asked there.
FYI, you can share our threads on fb or most any social media platform by clicking actions, share thread, and then chose your favorite social media platform from the list. I love when people share us on social media, especially the tech tip or picture threads. Remind the world that there is life beyond Facebook.

Forums seem to be a sort of thing where you either use it or you don't.

Every single person I know in real life seems to have an aversion to using forums. I try to introduce it to them, I encourage them, I even set up a forum about 3 times to various people I know. My brothers, my best friends, my girlfriends- it just doesn't stick with them. No matter what I try. It seems to not be in their blood. I'm guessing that's how it is for the FB users. Forums just aren't their thing.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Yeah, the election is over, I wish the protesters would realize it's a done deal and get on with life...I realize the medias role and why they do it but it sure doesn't help.

The day after the election I put on about 100 miles (on the -07) doing some shock testing and just cruising up the coast to check out the heavy surf, stopped and talked to a guy on a KTM 990 adventure and talked about cross country riding...never once thought about anything political, best therapy ever.

In regards to forums and this one in particular, I think they are great, I'm older and back in the old days there was no place to go to get help with technical issues, you either used the manual and did it yourself or paid a shop. I've learned so much on forums it's unreal, for my cars, motorcycles unbelievable really.

The people with extreme reactions usually are the ones who aren't exactly in the best place of their life.

Everyone around me, my circle, our reactions were fairly simple. It wasn't life changing. I mean, either way it was a bad choice. I think everyone would concede that neither choices were good at all. Anyway, everyone I knew, the reaction to the news lasted a good 5 seconds if that, and we went on with our lives.

I think all those people who seem outraged... they need to take a good hard long look in the mirror and they should ask themselves why they have so much time to devote to it. What's going on with their lives that this is the only thing they can focus on.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

One reason I never made a FB account. I see FB as a time waster and a crap starter. I see so many people wasting time on FB with their noses glued to their phones worrying about how popular they are or who may have talked crap about them instead of spending their time wisely and getting on a forum such as this and actually learning something useful. Me personally I don't have time for that FB garbage. When I'm not at work I spend my time working on or riding my motorcycles or other projects in my garage or around the house actually doing something constructive.

I've had so many friends say "why don't you have a FB account?" and I simply say, I actually have a life and don't have time for that crap.

I've had so many friends say "why don't you have a FB account?" and I simply say, I actually have a life and don't have time for that crap.
Same here. 

Guest 2wheeler

Strange, I don't remember the Republicans/Conservatives going bat poop crazy the last two times Obama got elected with protests and property damage...

I

Strange, I don't remember the Republicans/Conservatives going bat poop crazy the last two times Obama got elected with protests and property damage... 
I

Let's be careful and not get political or choose sides here folks. This thread is more about blocking all of that out and focusing on our bikes. The political machine spins and we can't control it. So, phuck it! Let's ride and wrench!

Just had a protest turn riot in my city the day after the election. I can understand gathering to show your disappointment/anger but don't shit where you eat and vandalize your local businesses. Sucks that our candidates weren't ideal but life goes on. Regardless of who you wanted to win, we are still living together and have to deal with it.

Move to beautiful Canada. We have loads of room and lots of twisties. Everyone welcome. We have enough bacon, maple syrup, beer, and poutine for all.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a few bike forums where political debate have cause no end of grief and fall outs.
best to keep this forum free of political and religious debate.
theres plenty of other forums for that.
I know I'm new on here but I think its best to just stick to bikes.

oh and I'm on F/B lol but I need to ,to keep in touch with old deaf school friends.
I'm partially deaf and these are my good friends but unfortunately they live about 80 miles away.
so it is nice to keep in touch.
we all went to a boarding school so we were like brothers and sisters in a way.
I think we're old enough now to chat about grown up things.lol
and yes I'm an old git but young at heart.
just turned 65.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
Move to beautiful Canada. We have loads of room and lots of twisties. Everyone welcome. We have enough bacon, maple syrup, beer, and poutine for all.
Wanna sponsor me? you had me at bacon but the poutine sealed the deal

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived