The MT-07 Forum

Extra Bolt - What Is It?

timjh

I don't remember removing this during any recent work, but found it on the ground near the front of my FZ-07:
Bolt.jpg

It's an M6 1.0 thread with, of all things, a Phillips head.  Is it important?  I sure can't find where it came from.

I had the plastics off to access the ECU and the snorkel. I had also recently installed an aftermarket exhaust, but the bolt didn't appear until a week or more later. The bike is also located in a place where I could easily have dropped something from an entirely different project. Nearly every thing else I do, though, uses SAE threads.

About half way up the thread is that blue thread lock?
Yamaha tend to use that but the bolt looks new,
did wounder if it was something that held the silencer on.
will look round mine tomoz but still cant remember
anything like it off hand.

It does look like the grey threadlock I've found on many pieces of this bike. Everything coming off this bike looks new after only 4k miles.

You've made me think, though. There was a bolt of that length going through the rubber bushing holding up one side of the stock muffler, but it had a hex head. Looking in my parts box, I can't seen to find the bolt for the other side...

Could that be the bolt that's in the bottom of the stock air filter?
I haven't been into the box.  I only today removed the snorkel without unscrewing the lid, and this bolt appeared more than a week ago.  Could it have fallen out all by itself?

• Premium Member
Could that be the bolt that's in the bottom of the stock air filter?
I haven't been into the box.  I only today removed the snorkel without unscrewing the lid, and this bolt appeared more than a week ago.  Could it have fallen out all by itself?
I doubt it.  It's in the very bottom of the box.  In fact I didn't even realize it was there and was struggling to get my filter out until I finally got a flashlight down there and saw it. 

Why can't left turners see us?

• 1 year later...

Zombie topic, but I just had to revive it.

Yesterday I found another bolt just like this one in the tray of my little roller seat that I use to scoot around doing maintenance of things down low.  It had fallen out of the place where it holds the seat cushion on.  Sure enough, there was another empty hole, and the two remaining bolts are the same.

And I had saved the first one pictured in my first post!  All is back together.

Hey, it will only have been 2 years next month...

Everything is engineered to have those types of bolts.  From the dawn of man there has always been that "Uknown" Ogg looked at Orc after working on the Ox cart and said "Orc, where this go" Orc Said "Dunno, put it in box, extra"  This happened on Appolo 13! when those famous words "HOuston we have a problem"  Yup, they foudn an extra bolt

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, timjh said:

It had fallen out of the place where it holds the seat cushion on.

I'm confused!! Could you elaborate a little.👍

he is referring to the cushion on his roll around seat, not his motorbike!! The bolt came of his mobile roll around seat that he uses in the garage!! :)

Gary

I have a friend who worked for Northrup during the space program.  It seems the vibration of the booster rockets tended to shake a lot of bolts and washers down to the bottom of the craft.

At least I saved the extra...

I had convinced myself it wasn't an important piece of what was left on the bike, but I sure feel better now.

I have a friend who worked for Northrup during the space program.  Apparently the vibration from the booster would shake a lot of bolts and washers down to the bottom of the craft.

At least I saved the extra part.

I had convinced myself that it wasn't an important part of what was left on the bike, but I sure feel better now.

Archived