The MT-07 Forum

Got my bike. Drop the height

skiddum

Hello guys. Hey I pulled the trigger an got me my bike. I'm excited as can be to pick it up. Anyways I'm wondering if I can adjust the shocks just a smidgen to drop the height of the bike. I know I'm supposed to set the sag on them. It's just a little high when I put my full weight on it and those darn pegs are right in the way. Makes backing up a pain. But anyways look forward to hearing from ya and I'll see you out there

Unless you are over 200lbs you should be able to set the rear shock to the lowest preload and drop the front of the bike down a half inch for street riding. The concern is that there is a greater risk of bottoming out on bumps.

• Premium Member

Welcome!

See my footer... I don't know how tall you are, but I can't back the bike up unless I get off of it. And pegs do that... just need to train yourself to place your foot elsewhere.

I'm not a suspensions expert but once you set it up to your weight, the seat height will change. For me, it dropped lower, but I still haven't flat foot the bike with both feet.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Welcome! 
See my footer... I don't know how tall you are, but I can't back the bike up unless I get off of it. And pegs do that... just need to train yourself to place your foot elsewhere.

I'm not a suspensions expert but once you set it up to your weight, the seat height will change. For me, it dropped lower, but I still haven't flat foot the bike with both feet.
I'm 5''5 130 pounds. Mt wife will ride with me periodically. She doesn't have her bike endorsement yet. But wants to learn and she's 5'5 100pounds wet.
So yeah that's one thing I was wondering if I set the sag if it'll drop it enough. I just need maybe a half inch tops. To be flat foot. It's just beerly high enough to pull my ankle up some I'm on the ball of my foot. So yeah. I was just wondering if I could and that. I don't wanna bottom out especially having my girl with me

• Premium Member

You should be fine once you have it set up to you... I mean as long as you aren't going through super bumpy roads, riding with your wife on the back will be fine. I've done the same with my wife.

As for how much it'll drop, I guess you won't know until you get it done.

And balls of your foot on both sides? You should be fine backing that thing up. :P

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Unless you are over 200lbs you should be able to set the rear shock to the lowest preload and drop the front of the bike down a half inch for street riding. The concern is that there is a greater risk of bottoming out on bumps.
The easy solution and to treat bumps as ramps and avoid the whole situation. 

This is how you use the bike to help you back it up. This works. I have used it to back up a very heavy cruiser, more than twice the weight of a FZ07 and I am only 150 lbs.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlkTY39a3TA]

Makes backing up a pain. 

You should be fine once you have it set up to you... I mean as long as you aren't going through super bumpy roads, riding with your wife on the back will be fine. I've done the same with my wife.  
As for how much it'll drop, I guess you won't know until you get it done.

And balls of your foot on both sides? You should be fine backing that thing up. :P
I ment cause the pegs are in my way it makes backing up hard. haha. They move up witch I found out today when I baked it up. Just need to be wherein better pants cause the little thing on the bottom of the peg found a hole in my pants and I got stuck

This is how you use the bike to help you back it up. This works. I have used it to back up a very heavy cruiser, more than twice the weight of a FZ07 and I am only 150 lbs.  

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlkTY39a3TA]

Makes backing up a pain. 
Thanks that's awesome I'll use that.

I've found that even though I can sit flat footed I can still have a hard time backing up on a slight grade (gravel's the worst) and that's because the legs are fully extended and the 'pegs are in the way'. (the one quirk I actually do hate about the FZ-07 but I still love my baby) You can't bend at the knees to help push like you can on a cruiser so it's more difficult to do. I'm going to try the technique in the video but I have a feeling that it's only useful if you have enough upper body weight/strength/good timing to push down enough to make it work. We'll see. 

Beemer

• Premium Member
Just need to be wherein better pants cause the little thing on the bottom of the peg found a hole in my pants and I got stuck

You can actually remove those little bolts from the ends of the pegs. Check out this picture and see how #24 bolts in at the end.
http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/53a99b08f8700220a441584b/stand-footrest
Lots of people take them out. I did. Its got some loctite on it so it'll take a little bit of effort to unscrew.

Archived